Slave Out> Speaker emulator>PA? or recording?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mincer

Reaction score
I have a Blue Angel. The slave out is apparently derived from the speaker out, and includes the full tone of the amp, minus the speaker.

Has anyone ever used the slave out direct to the PA (sometimes there is a shortage of mics), or for recording? Will the tone work?

Would going into a speaker emulator help, like a Red Box? Or even the speaker emulating out of a Bad Monkey pedal (with the pedal itself off)?

I think the slave out is just the preamp out, so you'll have that raw preamp tone without the tonal affection of the poweramp. But, however, if you find it good, use it.

The Slave out is tapped from the speaker output (look at the schematics) which is why you can not take a signal from the slave and patch it into the FX return - you will create a loop that will destroy your ears with uncontrollable feedback. The FX send is where you get raw preamp tone.

A Slave output is usually used to drive effect units and power amps into other speaker cabs, keeping your dry signal intact at your rig. I guess you could use it for a tuner as well, but I don't know how you would mute the sound while tuning. I never tried it for recording or to feed the PA. My guess is that it will NOT sound as good as the mic'ed cabinet. A speaker sim is a good idea worth trying, but I think you will be dissapointed.

For the money you would invest in a good speaker sim, you could buy a very good mic for your cabinet instead.

Dom

It is a "padded" signal derived from the speaker out. Not inteneded for use as a recording out, or direct to a mixing console/PA.

jbird said:
It is a "padded" signal derived from the speaker out. Not inteneded for use as a recording out, or direct to a mixing console/PA.
So, by this you mean it is exclusively meant for running into the "power amp in" of another amp?

I use the slave of my Roadster too a mixer, with my effects rack in loop, and too stereo power amp. It work very well, dry sound in center (4x12) and stereo effects each side with 2 cab 2x12.

jbird said:

i get it...it would be much too high a level i am guessing for a mixer. plus, it wouldn't have any speaker coloration.

Back