Stiletto Pacifier for Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domct203

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Well today I drove to my local GC to go get my Roadster Head I've been GAS'n for. I miss those Recto tones (owned a Triple for 5+ yrs.) and the built in reverb, and power/recto channel strip options hooked me ASAP.

Well, suprise, no Roadsters in stock :shock:

Not wanting me to leave empty-handed, the salesman assured me of their 30-day money back deal and talked me into taking home a Stiletto Ace head to play with in the mean-time, while they get Mesa's blessing to ship a Roadster from their Ohio store to me in CT.

WOW, what an amp. Mesa picked the right name, I think this thing will cut through anything. In the game of midrange mud-wrestling, here's your winner. I'm in my thirties and have played my share of "Rock" tube amps and the Stiletto Ace has them all beat hands down. Pay attention Marshall.

I'm hooked on those Recto tones, but the Stiletto can nail an awesome heavy tone, but it's not a Recto. However Metal and Rock players will mess their pants with this thing. I must have dusted off my entire collection of 80's Metal covers, grabbed my Brown+808 modded TS-9 and went to it.

I think I (tried to) :oops: played the entire Blizzard of Oz album, then embarresed myself with some EVH (somebody pass me a phase 90), and kicked in the TS-9 and layed out some serious Priest, Maiden and Dio.

Did I mention WOW ? When the ringing in my ears stopped I remembered it's only 50W! If this thing had "Lonestar" reverb I'd probably end up buying both.

The Recto Tones are more where I am now, but this Stiletto Ace brought me right back to where I came from. Thank you Mesa :p

Dom

Amen.

Had a dual rec for years, got the Ace and the DR's collecting dust. I'm offing the DR because I think the Mark tone is more my speed but the Ace is one of the most satisfying amps I've ever played.

I love my Ace. keep playing it! maybe you'll decide to keep it. I owned a Rectoverb before. they are very different amps yes. the ace is more my flavor though. I'd image a roadster to be much fun.

I'm probably going to have the Ace for a couple of weeks while I wait for the Roadster. Any pre-amp tube suggestions? I'm thinking JJ's to tame some of the brightness.

I have some "high gain" JJ ECC83's, JJ ECC803's, 9th gen. Chinese, and an EH 12AX7 lying around to play with, as well as a Tungsol reissue on the way for the Roadster.

Dom

Aces high brother! I definately would'nt put the chinese in for they are brighter than the other tubes you listed. I'd try the JJ83s first and then the Tungs( in my opinion the best new production high gain 12AX7 but may be a bit brighter than JJ). Also work that EQ- keep presence low. In a band setting I sure as hell don't get lost in the mix with the Ace. Totally awesome amp. I have the Roadster also and running the two with a Headbone is killer. However; Like Platypus said his Dual Rec was collecting dust I'm in the same boat with my Roadster. But you mentioned you WANT the Recto sound and thats very important. The Tweed mode and Clean modes are great in Roadster they'll be great with your Recto 4X12.Give that Ace some time dude!

I'm going to try the JJ's first in V1, V2 & V3. I might even try the ECC803 in there somewhere. When I get the Tungsol I'll try that one in V1.

Won't get much time with her today I've got a gig tonight, however tomorrow is a different story (rehersal). I'm going to at least try to throw in the G-Major for some reverb and delays today.

Dom

Generally the 803 is a V1 only kinda tube lowreing the gain a bit, more vintage sounding and cleaner. The Tung in V1 turns the amp into a beast. Have a good time at the gig and rock that Ace..

I own an Ace 1x12 combo and a Trident with 2x12 recto, but I'm switching to a 4x12 Standard. They are, to totally different amps to my ears. The Trident only sounds really truely great at 150 watts fluid-on 50 watts it sounds weak by comparison to the ACE, but at 150 watts delivers unbelievable clear, harmonic gain-way too much for many venues. One you start backing out the sweet spot, you overlap into ACE territory, which is the best combo amp I have ever. They don't really sound alike to me, but I love, and need both because of the wide range of venues I play.

Hey Stash I did'nt know you had a Ace dude- Right On! Man you'll love the spread with the 4x12. I switched out my Trad. cab when I got my Ace after demoing it with a Recto 4X12. The Recto 4X12 really helped with the over the top midrange and gave me more bass--not like the bass with a Dual Rec.

The new Duece and Trident are Stage II ie Ace. I find no difference in the tonalities. Your series I Trident is a very different amp.

stash49 said:
I own an Ace 1x12 combo and a Trident with 2x12 recto, but I'm switching to a 4x12 Standard. They are, to totally different amps to my ears. The Trident only sounds really truely great at 150 watts fluid-on 50 watts it sounds weak by comparison to the ACE, but at 150 watts delivers unbelievable clear, harmonic gain-way too much for many venues. One you start backing out the sweet spot, you overlap into ACE territory, which is the best combo amp I have ever. They don't really sound alike to me, but I love, and need both because of the wide range of venues I play.

domct203 said:
I'm going to try the JJ's first in V1, V2 & V3. I might even try the ECC803 in there somewhere. When I get the Tungsol I'll try that one in V1.

Won't get much time with her today I've got a gig tonight, however tomorrow is a different story (rehersal). I'm going to at least try to throw in the G-Major for some reverb and delays today.

Dom

tube change makes a big difference for the better in my Ace. I put a tungsol in V1 and v2, and jjecc83s in the rest of the slots. big differnce. change out the power tubes to better ones if u have some laying around too!

change out the power tubes to better ones if u have some laying around too!

I'm really a 6L6 guy, got plenty of them! I do have some JJ E34L's that I picked up awhile back to try in my Triple Recto. I think I'll give them a shot as well. If I remember correctly they came in at about 30mA so they should be fine in the ACE. (I'll check anyways!)

It's strange to be rippin with this amp with my Treble at 9:30 and zero presence !!! I really wish this amp had a little more pronounced low end, on board tube reverb and be able to run 6L6's (thats why I'll end up w/the Roadster).

Dom

Well, looks like I'm on the waiting list for my Roadster. Turns out that the one in the Ohio store was damaged :x

I'll be getting a "fresh" one from Boogie next time they ship. GC says about 4-5 weeks :cry:

Glad I have the Stiletto to pass the time with :D

I'll let everyone know when it comes in.

Dom

rabies said:
Why is it that all you people are raving about Stiletto Ace but not the Deuce or Trident? They're the same amps with different wattage.

What's so special about the 50watt dork Ace?

AND there's no reverb!

"50watt dork Ace?" What is it exactly that you find 'dork' about 50 all-tube watts? Just because it isn't 100 watts, or better yet, 150 watts?

Honestly, I'm curious.

Some of the finest recorded and live guitar tones over the last 30+ years were done with 50 watt amps.

just remember...Wattage doesn't translate in to loudness.

a 5 watt amp is half as loud as a 50 watt amp.

so, a 50 watt amp is half as loud as a 500 watt amp.

so..not much difference in loudness between 50 and 100 Watts.

my LSC is ever so slightly louder on 100W than 50W.

more headroom is all.

zappaslaughter said:
just remember...Wattage doesn't translate in to loudness.

a 5 watt amp is half as loud as a 50 watt amp.

so, a 50 watt amp is half as loud as a 500 watt amp.

so..not much difference in loudness between 50 and 100 Watts.

my LSC is ever so slightly louder on 100W than 50W.

more headroom is all.

Amen. Rabies!! Where you at Beeotch.

Latest posts

Back