Fillmore Overdrive Pedal Suggestions

Dual/Triple Rectos, Maverick, Blue Angel, Nomad, Road King, F-Series, Lone Star & Stiletto

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan, Platypus

ebagjones
Bottle Rocket

Fillmore Overdrive Pedal Suggestions

Post by ebagjones » Mon May 11, 2020 6:35 pm

I took delivery of a Mesa Fillmore 100 Combo today. :shock: Hot holy hell this amp cooks. Most demos I’ve heard and reviews I’ve read are from people really digging into the tweed clean and edge-of-breakup tones but I’ve spent 95% on the high gain section with the gain at about 80% and it has an amazing classic and hard rock tone. Even sounded amazing with a strat with low output single coils, I bet a Tele would absolutely kill but unfortunately I don’t have one right now.
Anyways I’m thinking I would like an OD to push that tone into borderline metal territory on the very rare occasions I need it and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I’m thinking because of it’s fat low end something like an SD-1 May be a good fit but I’d like to see what others have used.

Nerd
Bottle Rocket

Re: Fillmore Overdrive Pedal Suggestions

Post by Nerd » Tue May 12, 2020 5:11 am

Im pushing my fillmore 50 with EP booster set to 'vintage' settings and with gain half way. Keeps the cleans clean and rips on OD channel to the level where I dont even touch the hi gain channel. For heavy stuff I have EQD Hoof set on 1/4 drive before EP. These two crashes bones

ebagjones
Bottle Rocket

Post by ebagjones » Tue May 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks for the tip, I used to have one years ago but used it mostly for boosting the tube driver I was using for distortion at the time. I’ll have to check it out again. Out of curiosity are you using single coils or humbuckers?

Nerd
Bottle Rocket

Post by Nerd » Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi bud

I'm using single coils 99%. My main guitar is equipped with 3x Kinman E56 but EP does wonders with my 2xHB Music Man too.

EP booster is always on and I can't see myself playing without one. Just makes everything "more". Hoof as I said is before my EP so it enhances its character but I'm also using Vemuram Shanks ODS1 (essentially twist of Nobles ODR1) after EP for a bit different flavour - brighter, glassier tones with lots of presence and solid lows. These two ODs and EP on dirty channel and I have all my drive needs covered.

I'm also using octave up fuzz (King Tone Octaland) but thats whole different story

Markedman
Donating Member

Post by Markedman » Fri May 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Mesa makes the "Throttle Box" pedal and I think it would work for what you want IMO. https://mesaboogie.com/pedals--related/ ... ox-eq.html
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

silentbob
Mark II

Post by silentbob » Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 am

I've always had good luck with OCD style pedals. The other option I would suggest is something with more than just a single tone knob. Being able to dial in the right amount of bass, mids and treble really helps when boosting. The Seafoam Lighthouse boost has a couple of switches on the back that can help you dial in your boosted tone.

plan-x
Single Recto

Post by plan-x » Sun May 24, 2020 1:12 am

I use this with my Fillmore. Dual drive awesomeness!

Fillmore 25 head
Lonestar Classic (LSC) 2x12
Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs

Gordybaby
Mark II

Post by Gordybaby » Thu May 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Analogman modded sd-1 and solodallas storm is everything I ever wanted in a lead tone. Into my 100 watt Fillmore, its Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa and Joe Perry with just the volume and tone controls on my les Paul. Best amp I’ve owned in a long time. Straight in is Frampton comes alive in spades.

ebagjones
Bottle Rocket

Post by ebagjones » Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 pm

Yes! I was looking at the SD-1 type pedals, like the Boss SD-1W, MXR Custom Badass OD 77 and the Fulltone Fulldrive. I’ve recently fallen head over heals for the drive channel with the gain dimed. Sounds like every great classic rock record while still sounding like a Mesa. What an underrated amp, every channel is dynamite. Is there’s ever a second version I’d love to see three channels with individual wattage settings or master volumes (I run the clean channel very clean like a tweed-y blackface, but I have to keep the gain low and the master cranked and there’s a volume jump to the other channels), but I can’t complain. I actually think between this and the Triple Crown Mesa are making some of their best amps 50 years in.