90W Mark V becomes the BEST Mark with preamp tube tweak?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thaymz said:
I ended up landing on V4 as my preferred position for this tweak. Took out the v6, felt that it did something weird to my CH2 presence.

Channel 3 is sooooooo good, although I loved it to begin with.

Congratulations Thaymz.

Its amazing. Like already being on top of Everest, then being lead through a secret door to the elevator to space.

Then possibly through a Stargate like the end of '2001: A space odessy'... lol

From the original mod thread:

dlpasco said:
I just got my new (to me) Mark IIC+ back from Mike B., and it sounds fantastic. I paid more and was lucky enough to get a switchable version of the ++ mod as well.

I have not done any serious A/Bing yet, but so far, it and my Mark V/AT7 feel interchangeable. ++ mod is brutal but so is the new Extreme mode.

I sold my JP-2C a while back but I am keeping both of these amps, for sure.

I am going to try and shoot some A/B videos but I think it may take a bit to do well.

When I found out you sold your JP2c, I nearly choked on my tea.... (I'd not played the JP-2c...but I can definitely hear familiarity of tone in the vids that featured it on the post-mod V.) That is a move that says an awful lot.
And to hear other fellas express their perception that its close too..... wow.

Massive thick grind on that too, then, I assume..!
The rawness and low end/low mids remind me of when I A/B'd a Purple Stripe Mark III 60 watter (60/100 maybe).
It was the day I became dissatisfied with Channel 3 as was, by comparison. Misssed that thick pull deep type sound.
All this business made that 4 year itch stop though.
Your metal vid of the Mark III reminds me of what im hearing from the 25 at the moment. That Blue stripe seems to put out the freq grindwise, the way the distortion layers Im hearing, judging purely by vids, of course.

I'd love to hear a comparison between your III and your newfound IIC+ (and IIC++) joy, as well as the V...!! \m/ \m/

Markageddon said:
Thaymz said:
I ended up landing on V4 as my preferred position for this tweak. Took out the v6, felt that it did something weird to my CH2 presence.

Congratulations Thaymz.

Its amazing. Like already being on top of Everest, then being lead through a secret door to the elevator to space.

This is exactly what it feels like :) I might stock up on some more of those tubes. They are a bit hard to come by in Aus and buying from the US just doubles the price.

Thaymz said:
Markageddon said:
Thaymz said:

Congratulations Thaymz.

This is exactly what it feels like :) I might stock up on some more of those tubes. They are a bit hard to come by in Aus and buying from the US just doubles the price.

Smart thinking. You'll want these about for life. "My god...its full of stars!!!!" :p

I've got a cable I need coming today, and then I'm going to try and do some re-amping to shoot some comparison videos.

What I've got to work with:

Mark V, stock configuration
Mark V, AT7s in V4 and V6
Mark IIC+
Mark IIC++

I'd like to get samples of the Mark V in IIC+, Mark IV, and Extreme modes with both preamp configurations.

I'm going to record everything through the same cab and mic setup so that I can try and make this as consistent as possible.

Once I have all of this crap compiled, I'll need to get it organized. If anyone has any suggestions about how they'd like to see these things arranged, please let me know. Just doing huge video with one after another sounds like ear fatigue city.

-Dan

dlpasco said:
I've got a cable I need coming today, and then I'm going to try and do some re-amping to shoot some comparison videos.

Mark IIC+
Mark IIC++

I'd like to get samples of the Mark V in IIC+, Mark IV, and Extreme modes with both preamp configurations.

I'm going to record everything through the same cab and mic setup so that I can try and make this as consistent as possible.

Once I have all of this crap compiled, I'll need to get it organized. If anyone has any suggestions about how they'd like to see these things arranged, please let me know. Just doing huge video with one after another sounds like ear fatigue city.

-Dan
Sounds great Dan. I'm ready to hear it in which order you decide..! Oh to be a fly on your wall right now, for the two seconds before I would then be sonically blasted off of it. hahaha

I'd like to hear the V with only V4 changed. 8) And not like total Metallica scoop. LOL I know, I know. But you asked! LOL

As opposed to one big video, maybe do 1- stock V vs. 2) V4 swap V, vs 3) V4+V6 swap V. Then the second vid, your favorite of Video 1 vs. IIC+ vs IIC++

Dividing it into two more focused vids would reduce ear fatigue and give shorter shorter samples to digest.

dlpasco said:

Mark IIC+
Mark IIC++

-Dan
Maybe keep it short, do a couple or so vids.

One of stock and modded V in iic+ mode vs actual iic+/++ without pull deep etc.

Then one of V stock and modded in iv mode vs actual iic+/++ with pull deep engaged.

Maybe something similar with extreme mode.

Other options to consider whether or not to try to tone match or settings match if you see what I mean. Could end up as an opus of tone 8)

dlpasco said:

Mark IIC+
Mark IIC++

-Dan

First of all Thank You in advance for doing this :p .Really Looking forward to it.

One thing I would love to hear is your fav tone/settings in IIC+/IIC++ vs trying to cop this tone in Mark V (in any mode, with the AT7 tube swap because I don't think it is possible to cop the IIC+/IIC++ tone with Stock tube in the Mark V). There are probably n number of things to consider here but my thought process is just get the best tone from amp 'A' and try getting said tone in amp 'B'. I know its easier said than done..

Latest posts

Back