TC 50 1x12 tone help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkizer

Reaction score
Hi folks new to the forum and proud owner of a Mark V 25 and now a TC 50 combo. I’m still tinkering with the amp but have yet to find a high gain tone I love so I’m looking for suggestions/help. I originally purchased the amp b/c I was attracted to the three channel option and assumed it had to be good on the gain front given it’s a Mesa.

FWIW the tone I’m searching for is a tighter high gain sound a la modern metal tones. Beyond trying to better understand the amp the other thing I plan to try is running a TS in front of it to see if that ends up more in the direction of what I’m trying to find.

Appreciate any help,

J

jkizer said:
Hi folks new to the forum and proud owner of a Mark V 25 and now a TC 50 combo. I’m still tinkering with the amp but have yet to find a high gain tone I love so I’m looking for suggestions/help. I originally purchased the amp b/c I was attracted to the three channel option and assumed it had to be good on the gain front given it’s a Mesa.

FWIW the tone I’m searching for is a tighter high gain sound a la modern metal tones. Beyond trying to better understand the amp the other thing I plan to try is running a TS in front of it to see if that ends up more in the direction of what I’m trying to find.

Appreciate any help,

J
Welcome to the forum.

Ch 3 has a lot of gain on tap, but I prefer a boosted channel 2 for tight high gain rhythm. The TS-9 is a great boost pedal, give it a shot.

Guitar and pickups has a lot to do with it too.

Totally agree about channel 2 with a boost. I use a BB Preamp or a Timmy clone. I also recommend throwing a graphic EQ in the loop. I am currently running mine with a Boss GE-7. I boost the low end a touch and start a classic "V" but pull down the top two sliders to tame the brightness. Also recently started using my head with a Celestion Redback. I couldn't be happier, but tone is subjective.

In my opinion/experience the modern metal tones are more likely to be found from a closed back cabinet :shock: The open back cabs that I’ve had always left me a bit wanting. Sure they are heard everywhere in stage and crowd but the tonality/feel is not my favourite... no proper low end etc (all my cabs have had C90s).

After acquiring the recto cabs I’ve been a lot happier with my tones and the feel of the amp/s...

Yet my ED combo is great all-around for the lighter stuff :mrgreen:

Eevil said:
Yet my ED combo is great all-around for the lighter stuff :mrgreen:

The Dyne is still my favorite amp of all time. But, I don't really do modern metal. Just high gain vintage, so add my BB to the Dyne, and I am good to go.

Back