Graphic EQ in loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
After procrastinating for almost 2 years, I finally placed a Boss GE-7 in the loop of my TC-50. Total game changer for me. I've often felt there was a lack of bottom end coming from the amp and the highs were still just not where I would prefer, regardless of the BMT settings on the face of the amp. I slightly goosed the lower 2 sliders, and slightly reduced the 3 higher sliders, bumped the output just a touch, and there was what I wanted! You could get a pretty good Recto tone if you wanted to give the EQ more of a classic "V" setting. Even if you are completely satisfied with how your TC sounds stock, try a EQ pedal in the loop. I can't imagine that anyone would be completely disappointed.

Jnoel, I completely agree about an EQ in the loop, although I'm using one in my TC-100 for a different purpose. For the band I'm in, I love the mid-crunch of this amp from all three channels when paired with my Marshall 1960A in band practice and performance settings. When I'm at home, the amp is paired with a PRS 2x12 Stealth cabinet, which results in a beefier, slightly more compressed tone. I'm using an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop to boost mid frequencies (mostly around 1k), which helps approximate the tone I need in my band setting (and the tone our album, hard-panned right: https://understorymetal.bandcamp.com/releases).

And like you say, if I want to push the bass and approach a rectifier-type tone, I can get there. Well, I can get in the same ballpark, anyway. : )

Thanks, Jnoel! I was very happy we were able to capture the tone and maintain it through the mastering process.

I'll be interested to see if others chime in about using an EQ in the loop . . .

tpginpnw said:
I'll be interested to see if others chime in about using an EQ in the loop . . .

Sorry to chime in on a TC thread... but the subject caught my eye.

I ordered a IIC HR head back in 83, the effects loop wasn't very functional in the original IIC design so it went unused. A few years ago it got the "+" upgrade and while that was a game changer for the lead chan, equally important was the rearrangement of the effects loop which finally made it usable. Along with 4CM I run a Mesa 5-Band EQ in the loop and the tonal options it provides is pretty amazing. Having that ability to shape your signal before the power section is a requirement IMHO.

<<Having that ability to shape your signal before the power section is a requirement IMHO.>>

For my needs, I concur. It's certainly a powerful option. I'm continually amazed how minor tweaks to the EQ result in MAJOR tone shifts.

Back