Using a pedal switcher and MIDI

Discussion area for the new TC50

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

GADonis
Bottle Rocket

Using a pedal switcher and MIDI

Post by GADonis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 am

I'm looking into putting together a "no expense spared" pedal board, well, mostly no expense spared. I'm thinking of getting a Pedal Pad board and using a Boss ES-8. The Pedal Pad has an option to build in a MIDI connector. I'm trying to determine how many MIDI connectors I would need built into the Pedal Pad. I've never used MIDI before so I just want to double check my thinking. To use the ES-8 to control channel switching and solo boost in this arrangement I'll just need to run a MIDI cable from the switcher to the "inside" MIDI connector of the board and then run a MIDI cable from the "outside" MIDI connector of the board to the MIDI IN on the amp, correct? No need to connect anything to the MIDI out/thru of the amp?
Express Plus 5:50, TC-50 with 2x12 Horizontal Cabinet, 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb, Pro Junior. Too many guitars to list but #1-Fender Hwy1 Tele w/ Muy Grande pups, #2A-PRS McCarty Korina w/ P90's, #2B-Fender Double Cut Telecaster w/Dirty Harry pups.

ned
Site Admin

Re: Using a pedal switcher and MIDI

Post by ned » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Sounds about right to me. However I am unfamiliar with the Pedal Pad.

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 am

Need more information.... Who makes the Pedal Pad you are using ?

But it looks right from the info you gave.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

GADonis
Bottle Rocket

Post by GADonis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm

This is the board I'm looking at

https://pedalpad.com/shop/products-buy- ... category=0

He has options to build in various input/output jacks into the sides of the boards case. I'm thinking qty. 4 1/4" jacks for guitar input, output to amp, and FX loop out and in. Also thinking that one midi jack would let me use the ES-8 to also control the amp along with the delay and modulation pedals.

I'm really just trying to figure out if I need more than one built in MIDI jack in the board.
Express Plus 5:50, TC-50 with 2x12 Horizontal Cabinet, 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb, Pro Junior. Too many guitars to list but #1-Fender Hwy1 Tele w/ Muy Grande pups, #2A-PRS McCarty Korina w/ P90's, #2B-Fender Double Cut Telecaster w/Dirty Harry pups.

RobbieBoyette
Bottle Rocket

Post by RobbieBoyette » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:21 am

You don't need more than one out midi.
I'm using a G System with my TC 50 and the out midi on the G System is all I need.
The TC 50 has an out/thru on it if you need midi control back by the amp as well.
-Robbie
Current Amp: 2018 Mesa TC-50 Rackmount

Past Boogies:
1982 Mesa Boogie MK II (ordered it from the company brand new)
1989 Mesa Studio Preamp and Simulclass 290 Power Amp (also direct order from the company along with the Mesa shock mount rack)

GADonis
Bottle Rocket

Post by GADonis » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks. That is what I had figured. I went ahead and bought the switcher and one midi cable last week just to start learning how to set it all up. The manual for the ES-8 leaves something to be desired, but it wasn't too hard to get it up and running.

Today I bought the rest of the stuff. Adding it all up maybe I should have just bought a Helix. I've wanted a nice "one button" pedal board for some time and selecting the bits and pieces and putting it together is half the fun. Okay, maybe 30% of the fun. Of course I may be singing a different tune when I get elbow deep into soldering the patch cables.