2x12 vs 1x12 cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuuhl

Reaction score
I have a TC 50 stock combo. I’m running a 2X12 closed back cab with two 16 ohm V30s, producing 8 ohms together (series?). I set the amp to 4 ohms when using the ext cab, giving me a three speaker set up. When I play the combo without the ext cab (rehearsals and home practice), the tone is very different than when using the ext cab at gigs. The sound is wider, but the tone changes, which means I’ve got to significantly tweak it to reset it. I checked this in my rehearsal space to eliminate room variations.

So here’s my question: I’m wondering if using an 8 ohm speaker with two 16 ohm speakers changes the tone. Would running a 1x12 closed back ext cab with an 8 ohm V30 minimize the differences from running the combo by itself? As a side note, I’m thinking about picking up a Mesa Widebody 1x12, which has a different speaker. How would that sound with the TC 50 combo? What about closed vs open back? Thanks in advance for your input!

Adding more speakers always changes your tone somewhat.
An 8 ohm 4x12 cab always sounds different from an 8 ohm 1x12 cab.
Your TC50 is an open backed 1x12 combo, is that correct?
I would suggest your best sounding rig would be the combo atop a 1x12 closed back.
That would be lighter than a 2x12, better looking and just overall easier to manage.
A mini-stack, if you will.
The combination of an open back and a closed back gives you the best of both worlds.
It is a very compelling combination.

If you buy a MESA 1x12 closed back it will likely come loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30.
It's a decent speaker.
A lot of people absolutely LOVE it.
I wouldn't go that far.
It's OK, and that's the extent of my opinion of it.
It's just OK.
I actually prefer the Celestion G12T-75.
I think it is an under-rated speaker.
People tend to pooh-pooh it because of its association with Marshall amps, saying it will sound like a Marshall.
I don't find that to be true at all.
I find I really like how beefy and tight it sounds down low and how it tends to tame the sharpness.
I think Marshall amps sound like Marshall amps because they are Marshall amps and not because they sometimes have G12T-75s in them.

(my opinion)

Latest posts

Back