reverb changes tone !!!! HELP!!!1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny7

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my TC combo,,,, I never got to try it with the foot switch, Loved it untill I took the reverb off. In channels 2 n 3 it DRAMATICALLY changes the tone,timbre,and or voicing of the amp. Actaully sounded like a different amp. As you turn the reverb knob the tone changes like I have never seen before in an amp. I even had another guitarist musician come over we com[ared it to my dual rec ( 3 channel from 2000) and a jvm410h. The marshall no change, little difference wirh reverb in effects loop of recto. The TC using the internal reverb,,, WOW totally different amp. Now I am more than disappointed after putting out that $$ and it seems like I lie the amp with reverb on all the time lol

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Ive had the amp a few hours and the difference in sound between when the reverb is on and off ,,, and the level really crushed me,,,, I saw it is a tube reverb? IDK ide love to keep the amp but this is killing me lol

thanks for any info

sorry for typos in initial post. typing ON phone. Any info would be great. I cant believe that the tone would change this much due to the reverb. Its almost as if the amp is defective. Two totally different tones between reverb on and off the "wetter" the reverb the more saturated and compressed it seems.. even more gain and high end ( actaully with reverb off the amp is a bit lifeless)

Thank again,,,, long time member ( iv had my dual recto since 2000)

There was a previous thread about a similar topic here, where folks were commenting on the difference between reverb on and off. I think in that case they preferred the sound with reverb off. I will have to play around with mine, I generally have reverb on clean, a hint of reverb on Ch2 and no reverb on Ch3 and I generally keep reverb on all the time. My band mate uses the TC-50 combo at gigs and I think he prefers reverb off always.

Tube reverb changing the tone of an amp isn’t new. Making it switching adds and removes a lot of circuitry from the signal path. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to make it sound consistent is to leave it in the signal path all the time and just mute the trails. Mesa has opted not to do that here and offered a pure signal path for those that don’t want Reverb.

Historically, some people have preferred the reverb versions of amps because of what it does to the sound. Deluxe vs Deluxe Reverb and Dual Rectifier vs Tremoverb being a couple of examples.

Wow! Funny thing is I've never heard my TC-50 with the reverb tank because I couldn't fit it into my 6 space rack with my Pod HD Pro X. I just disconnected it and put it away along with my pedal and cord.
Now that I've figured out how to get it in there I'd like to hook it back up but the jacks aren't marked and I don't which cable goes where. Any help here?
Also, I recall back in the 70's there was a product called an Ice Cube Overdrive (I think) that you would plug into the reverb jacks on Fender amps. I've read they also used to jumper the 2 jacks that would push a little more gain through the amp. Anybody ever jump these 2 jacks? What happened?

Back