TC 50 Combo Noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuuhl

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m hoping somebody has a similar experience with this so I don’t have to completely disassemble my TC 50 combo amp… The amp makes a noise like tube rattle when I’m playing lower octave notes. It’s a relatively loud noise as I’m playing at about 90 dB and can hear it. At first I thought it was coming through the speaker, but Its not. I removed each pre-amp tube cover one at a time and it did not make a difference. It seems like it’s coming from within the chassis. Does anybody have any idea what might be making this noise and/or suggestions for a fix? Thanks!

I also had one that made rattling noises, and I tracked it down to being the speaker causing it.
My test method was to capo a low offending note, striking it and while letting it ring out press firmly on the back of the speaker in towards the cabinet.

cuuhl said:
Hey all, I’m hoping somebody has a similar experience with this so I don’t have to completely disassemble my TC 50 combo amp… The amp makes a noise like tube rattle when I’m playing lower octave notes. It’s a relatively loud noise as I’m playing at about 90 dB and can hear it. At first I thought it was coming through the speaker, but Its not. I removed each pre-amp tube cover one at a time and it did not make a difference. It seems like it’s coming from within the chassis. Does anybody have any idea what might be making this noise and/or suggestions for a fix? Thanks!

Sounds like it could be a power tube rattling. While you play, have someone hold each power tube one at a time with a towel (as the tubes will be hot) and see if it stops when a particular tube is held. Not uncommon in a combo amp.

I am curious what the problem was and how you fixed it.

I have also issue with an irritating sound. I have already replaced all the thbes and tested it also by removing the reverb unit from the combo but it is still there. :x

https://youtube.com/shorts/NQHb5Nz_BvE?feature=share

Does anybody recognize this?

Back