TC-100 with Mesa 5BGEQ, Oh yeah!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
When I got the TC-50 I ran it through the typical check, how does the FX loop sound and so forth. I am sure I pulled out the Mesa 5BGEQ pedal at some point. Perhaps I did not feel the need to tailor the tone of the TC-50 and it may have been something I just did not think was necessary. Now that I have the TC-100 I figured I may as well find where I stored the Mesa 5BGEQ and give it a try in the FX loop of the TC-100. Reason other than the latest video released by Mesa and Willie Adler;Lamb of God, how will the EQ pedal work for my application? I love the raw tone of the TC-100 and the TC-50 but when running a dual amp set with the JP-2C, I figured to give the EQ pedal a go with the TC-100. Now that definitely adds some more flavor to the tone farm. Those who have the TC-50 or TC-100 or are planning on getting one of these amps, I would also recommend an EQ pedal for expanding your tone even further. I can get the TC-100 (running EL34) on CH3 or CH2 to get very close to the characteristic of the JP-2C. No, it will not give you the depth of the bottom end of that amp but brings it much closer. Doing a side by side comparison of the TC-100 (with the Mesa EQ pedal in the loop) and the JP-2C (having its own GEQ setup), I was almost thinking I like the TC-100 with an EQ in the loop a bit more than the JP-2C. When blending the two amps together, sounds great with the TC-50 or 100 without the EQ in the loop, but it only gets better from there with the EQ active in the FX loop of either amp. I found my sound for sure. Note, if you are using other FX in the TC loop, it may be more beneficial to place the GEQ last in the chain which would be closer to a traditional Mark series amp. If you are after the Mark V:90W character, place the EQ pedal in the front of other pedals you have in the FX loop. I was considering getting one of those Boss ES units so I can control my amps with midi function and select what FX are active. Tired of doing the pedal dance routine especially with the JP-2C running parallel to the TC amp. Wonder of that gear would work in the FX loop. Still looking into the best options as I do have pedals that would be best up front. May need to find a loop controller or get two of the Boss ES units. It has not been much of a need as I normally do not run any effects unless I am recording with a multi-track rig or with another guitarist.

Here is a short video demonstrating the effect of the Mesa 5 band graphic EQ in the FX loop of the TC-100. I started with the GEQ flat and compared the flat signal loudness with the EQ on and off before adjusting the sliders on the EQ. Ran the amp on CH2 in normal mode followed by tight mode, then repeated similar with the CH3. Nothing fancy in terms of playing, was after the effect of the EQ more than the content of what I was playing.

https://youtu.be/oV-fi9ddAIQ

That was an awesome demo, Bandit! I've had a mini 5BEQ pedal for some time, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Now, it's pretty much a must. That really expands the palette of tones from the TC series!

Yes it does, be warned though, once you try it, you may not want to turn it off. I have to not use the TC amps for a few days so I can re-adapt to their natural tone again. What really makes a difference is when you use the EQ on the TC and then run the JP-2C in parallel. That experience is hard to explain.

Good stuff man. I sold my TC-50 months ago, but have a 100 on the way. I’m excited to try the 100 with the 6V6s. Those were my favorites in the 50 but didn’t like the lowered headroom. I’m probably going to run it in parallel or stereo with one of my other amps (Invective, OG 5150, Mark IV combo). I run an HX Effects so I can put an EQ in the loop using that. Should be fun.

Latest posts

Back