First time ever to use the Cab Clone, Nice...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I did send a request to Mesa Customer Service on the Cab Clone used on the TC-100. The TC-50 it is the same deal. What I needed was the specifications in more detail that what is in the manual or website. Specifics like the send level or signal level on the XLR output. Mesa did respond the not too long after my request. It's range is +4dB down to -10dB. Similar to the CAB clone external but that one can be set down to mic level -30dB. If you know your equipment input ratings for XLR type plugs (note that some units have combination jacks, XLR, TRS or TS and the ratings for each will be different). Since I was using a TASCAM recorder, the XLR input max is +2dB but nominal is -14dB. I did not want to be pegging the input preamp so I opted for a -20dB PAD. I have several that I have used with recording before. That worked out really good. I could have used an XLR to TRS cable or adapter if I had one with the proper connections. Something to consider later on. I could have used the mixer input but most of them were used up and I was using phantom power so uncertain if the Cab clone is compatible with the 48V source.

Once I had it all set up, not bad at all. That was much easier than using a mic and having to adjust levels and position. Since this was for a live setting, both TC-50 and TC-100 were in use along with a full drum kit mic'ed to a mixer consol and then sent to the TASCAM recorder on a few channels. I thought the Cab Clone was ideal for the situation. I did have to run a TC Ditto with a recorded track on it to set up both the TC-50 and the TC-100. With both having the same master volume setting, the signal level was a match on the recorder meter. That was so easy. Now for the diffucult process to go though the 2 to 3 hours of recording and see if anything is worthy of sharing. Since I was playing the drums, I had the opportunity to use the headphones so I could hear the guitar and drums without the room effect. Both amps kept up with the drums quite well.

I’m not a huge fan of CabClone but it is OK when the speaker is also plugged in. But, this is obviously not silent recording. Without the speaker, it sounds pretty thin and weak. The CabClone is passive and so it will change behavior when a speaker is passed through as this provides the reactive load, and improves the CabClone tone.

comments on fizzy tone, etc..... I would agree that there is not much cab simulation processing with the cab clone. I did find it to work out ok with a -20dB pad though. I will also try to experiment with the cloud lifter and the -20dB pad to see what happens. I also feel that you will need to mic the cab and blend the signals together during the mixdown.

So many things to do at the moment so recording will have to wait. I did pick up two more mics (SM57 and e609) so I have enough to record a stereo rig using the TC-100 and the JP-2C. I am curious how this will sound in a recording. May end up using the mixer as the preamps on that are much better than the one's on the TASCAM recorder. Eventually I will get a DAW program loaded on one of the computers I am about to refurbish.

Latest posts

Back