Jam last night, another win for the TC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Had another jam session last night with some friends. And again I managed the drum set for most of the night. That 62 LP or early SG with the dog eared P90 showed up again. This time I told my friend to use the TC-50 and the for the other friend to use the TC-100 (he tends to run his guitar volume near off anyway). I would have to say the TC series amps were most fitting for the style of music we were playing as the originals were done on Marshall amps of what ever variety. None of my friends have any love for the JP-2C. What is up with that? I know, the SG with the 90 seems to sound better with the TC series amp than the JP due to midrange content. I did try that guitar though the JP-2C, not bad but I really do not like playing that guitar all that much to start even though it sounds good, I am just not a fan. It is obvious the TC is in a different class than the JP-2C. If my friends were heavy metal nuts, it would be a different story, JP and the Roadster, and probably the MKV. Does not matter much, it was a great evening. My arms are tired from drumming all night.

The TC-100 is a fantastic amp for any style. I use mine with a Helix via 4CM and any sound is possible.

I'd love to have a JP-2C as I hear it's phenomenal for metal. But in all honesty, I'm holding out for the Mark VI. We know it's eventually coming and will probably have MIDI capability. Fingers crossed!

Question: Why no love for the SG? Is it the P-90 pickups? I've got a 2018 Standard in Autumn Burst - I love the way it plays, but I do prefer the weight of a Les Paul. To be honest, I really just bought it to just have as part of my collection, but was surprised that it can play metal fairly well. Of course, it slays on my Marshall JVM 205 combo on the crunch channels!

For me it is the feel of the guitar. I would prefer an LP or Strat. The SG style a bit awkward for me. 1962 compared to more recent, they both feel the same to me. Just not a fan... They look cool though. As for the P90, the owner of the guitar said to max the volume and tone on the guitar and adjust the volume and settings on the amp. If that is required with that type of pickup, it is not for me.

Even the '82 ES-335 sounded great though the TC-100. Not a bad guitar. I was actually impressed with it. It reminded me of my '84 LP to some extent.

As it seemed, I got two votes on the TC-100, one came from a long time fender twin owner and the other has a Behringer (solid state amp with a tube symbol on it, called valve state or something like that).

This kinda hammers home that with anything from breakup to ridiculously saturated gain, you can dial in some truly great sounds with this amp. Have been having similar positive experiences. Sounds like you had a fun weekend!

I have noticed a weaker signal with single coils in my 2017 Strat HSS Elite and 2018 American Tele in the TC-100. And between my LPs, SG, Strats and Tele - I'm enjoying the heck out of playing that Tele!

I use a Helix via 4cm and put a Boost pedal (modeled after the Xotic brand) and compression in front - it really did compensate well for the single coil pickup volume lack.

I was not playing the guitar that night. I was playing drums. From a different perspective I can appreciate the amp even more than when I am playing though it myself. I have at times recorded something on the TC ditto so I can replay it though any amp for drum practice. For some reason my guitar style seems to favor the Mark series (JP-2C) or the Rectifier (Roadster). Still I enjoy all of the amps just as much.

Had another jam session this past Thursday evening (5-7-2018). This time I did myself a favor and moved the amps next to the drum set facing away from the drummer (which going to be me). Had both TC-50 and TC-100 set up. This time I recorded the entire 3 hours of musical instrument abuse. Also the first time I used cab clone. After the session, I noticed I had the TC-50 set to open back (oops, I intended to use the closed back position). The TC-100 was set to closed back. I did send a request to Mesa Tech regarding the send level of the Cab clone as the actual details are not stated in the manual or on the website. Range that was stated was +4dBu to -10dBu which at least helped to decide if I would need a -20dB pad. I did since the recorder input max is -14dBu as it is a mic input. I also asked if the Cab Clone was compatible with phantom power but that part of the question was not answered. Since I had no response on that, I assumed it was not compatible with phantom power so I could not plug into the mixer I was using for the drum set and vocals. (that is a joke actually as nobody could really sing, but I had a mic available if one was willing to attempt). I used a Ditto pedal with something stored in memory and ran it into both Triple Crowns to dial in the settings on the TASCAM recorder. I will have to say with the -20dB PAD, the guitar signal sounded really good though headphones without any processing or EQ. I have about 3 hours of this and that to go though and if I find anything of value in the recording I will post it.

Both amps sounded great, TC-50 and the TC-100 did there job well. Odd that I would wind up with two guitar players that are both left handed playing a right handed instrument. One is a musical juke box and has a long mental list of songs. The other has similar tastes but main focus is more so on playing blues. Mix that in with a heavy metal or hard rock junkie like me and things go nowhere fast. I do not practice the drums all that much and it shows. Also have no clue how to play the drum parts of the songs in question. So if and when I post something, you have been warned as it is not intended for those without a hearing impairment.

Latest posts

Back