Im experiencing some trouble with my EQ pedal out front

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Im not too sure if this is just my Source Audio Eq pedal being out front or the amp itself yet but sometimes when i use the tc50 it misbehaves, once when i fired it up there was a strange buzz in the distance, then i tried to change chanels and it wouldnt do so using the tc50 footswitch, if i pressed and held the tc50 footswitch channel selection buttons id hear these strange digital noises a little similar to when we use to hook up to the internet in the retro days and no channel switching would occur...

I turned the amp off then on and the footswitch worked fine, but there was still a buzz in the background of my tone when ever i hit a note. I then turned off the amp and pulled all pedals and presto, all seemed ok... I then put the Source Audio Eq in the loop and the TC50 seemed to work fine...

Curious if anyone has had such an issue, ill try putting the Eq out front tomorrow and see what happens but im wondering if i should return the tc50 in case its a faulty amp? I guess time will tell, im in Australia and this little 50w head set me back 4k here so i am slightly concerned.

Has any one else experienced such issues?

Well it def diesnt seem to get along with the source audo EQ out front but sits well in the loop, strange, ive never had an amp that wont take to pedals out front, but my TC50 definately doesnt play nice with this EQ pedal... Shame as i like to have one EQ out front pulling lows and one in the loop to bring back lows for tighter gain sounds... Might need to get an Empress or something for out front, i will miss the 4 eq presets i could set with the Source Audio EQ out front, i also liked to cut mids a bit out front for sweeter cleans.

Still if anyone else has a Source Audio Equalizer can you try it in front if your amp and let me know if you get trouble, id really appreciate it, i will give it a shot at Better music next time im in Canberra just to be sure it isnt this head in particular.

Are you referring to the Programmable EQ pedal? Odd that it has issues on the front end. Perhaps it is leaking midi signal on the output resulting in ground loop communications with the midi control on the TC50. Yeah, that is a stab in the dark and may not be probable, but it could be. that may explain the noise you get with the pedal up front and why the midi control on the TC50 footswitch is getting confused. Also are you using the midi control with the pedal? If you are, confirm you do not have the pedal plugged into the Midi-input on the amp. If you are not using the midi function, not sure what is going on. Try your other pedals where you had them but eliminate the EQ. Noise still present? If not, it may be ghost midi signals from the pedal making its way on the ground or signal line and those high frequency signals are probably getting demodulated by the diode effect of the triode circuits. (same way you can pick up AM radio or short wave radio sometimes).

This is with no midi cable plugged in at all, i have not quite gotten to setting up midi with my Source Audio Eq or Boss ES8 with this head yet.

. It is very odd, sometimes it even seems to effect the Mesa fiitswitch and causes it to not work at all. I hope its just the pedal amp relationship and not just the amp playing up, ill do more testing with the SA Programmable Eq out front soon, luckily the amp is only a month old so if im having amp trouble warranty i hope will cover it.

I have a suspicion that it may be the pedal. If the processor is sending commands even though you are not using the midi function, it is probable that there may be some transference of the midi signal on the output of the pedal. Just a wild guess and since that may be getting amplified by the preamp it could possible effect the midi controller built in the TC. That could be a long shot but I would not rule it out. In the FX loop, There is only one tube before the phase inverter so the weak leakage signal does not get the same number of gain stages and demodulation effect from the non-liner triode characteristics. If the amp acts up with the EQ pedal up front that would confirm probable cause. Still does not rule out the footswitch. Is the midi channel selected to 0? If not that may explain a few things. I have daisy chained the TC-50 and the TC-100 together with midi. TC with footswitch, midi out to the TC-50 with the channel selected to anything other than 0 on the TC-50. Works like a charm. I have not tried to use the footswitch with the TC-50 and an incorrect channel selected. (when not using the midi cable).

Oddly enough it happened again without the EQ pedal, power the amp off and on and its back to normal, only happens once in a blue moon which is annoying... Makes it hard to show the Mesa amp tech hete in Oz

Ill make a video next time it happens, id hate for it to get more frequent and bug out after warranty. Its such an oddball malfunction

Otherwise i have to say its a sweeet amp, the versatility and tone in all channels is a thing of beauty. So much so i almostdont want to take her back in case it has to be replaced... I am in love with my TC50 :)

Even my staffy seems to sing along with me, she walked up the stairs and started howling along with us the other day and i often catch her downstairs singinging along too, hahaha

But this thing where the footswitch doesnt change channels and the weird noise that happens is worrying, I seem to be the only person its happened to.

Latest posts

Back