TC50 or Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjjmon

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these two amps. I owned a Mark V previously and really liked it. I basically just used channels 1 and 3. I'm after a great clean and heavy distortion. The TC50 looks simpler to use and from the clips I've heard, sounds great. I can pick up a used Mark V for about the same as a TC50. I'm leaning towards the TC but wanted input from people who have had both.

Oh boy. I have the pleasure of having a TC-50 combo and Mark V head (2x12 recto cab, now vertical). I prefer the Mark but the TC-50 is a very, very nice amp also.

I'd almost say just get the TC-50 and give it a whirl, since you already owned a Mark V. But that's just me. Give the TC-50 six months to a year and if you find yourself not bonding with it, switch it up again! It is different than the Mark for sure, but it will cover the ground you've mentioned and do it well. There are some YouTube comparison videos out there (I think, maybe I'm getting models confused).

Odd, recommending the TC-50 when I prefer the Mark. Probably because I enjoy the TC-50 also, and just would recommend trying it out for a (good) change of pace.

Hmm, Mark V you say.... I personally like my TC-50 over my Mark V any day of the week. But that is my personal choice. However if you were really only interested in CH1 and CH3 I would suggest a JP-2C as that is all it is basically. Clean and monster punch. You may feel the TC-50 is more like the channel you did not use with the MKV when you had it. I would say it is more crunch than compressed. The JP on the other hand is all beast but you can make it crunchy if you so desire. JP-2C is not a bedroom amp and neither is the TC-50. Sure both JP and TC could be played at lower volume levels. You can also use 6V6 in the TC-50 to reduce the power level down to 25W and that to me was rewarding, even though I much prefer the EL34 tubes in the amp.

The best answer to your question is to do one thing..... find a dealer that you can get too that has the amps you are interested in. I could compare the following (ignore the cost factor at the moment); JP-2C, TC-50, TC-100 and the Mark V. Since each amp is different I would also suggest to down load the manuals for each and print out the suggested settings page from each manual and take that with you. If you discover one of these fits your needs, that would be where to start. That would give you some idea if you need to wait and save for one vs the other. [I generally keep a guitar fund going (it is actually a separate account that gets deposits every pay day, not very much mind you but over time that sum grows and before I realize I have enough for something new. I may have a few amps in my collection. Everything was bought new except for the two RA100's and I did not use a credit card to buy them. It all came out of my guitar fund (so there is no interest or monthly payments). Yeah, there have been times I needed to tap on my guitar fund for other things so it can be used as an emergency fund if needed. I started this plan almost eight years ago when I started a new job. Yes, it take time but in the long run by the time you have saved up for a new amp, Mesa may have something better by then. ]

I personally would settle on the TC-50 but that would be me. However it has been some time since I played though a new Mark V, mine may have been a lemon from the start so I too would revisit that. Hard to tell if the TC is the better amp for you or would you be more interested in the Mark V. Then I ask one question, if you liked the Mark V but no longer have it, was there something wrong with the amp such that you no longer have it?

I would say go for the TC-100 if you can - the extra wattage and power selection options lends to more versatility.

I loved my Mark V amp, all the options were great - but found myself flipping switches and turning knobs more than playing. The TC is easier to dial in so I definitely spend more time playing with this amp.

bandit2013 said:
Then I ask one question, if you liked the Mark V but no longer have it, was there something wrong with the amp such that you no longer have it?

I got rid of it because I went all acoustic. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have sold it. I am missing the noise!!

I would suggest you to find a Mesa dealer to try them out. Compare the TC-50 to the Mark V. If you like the Mark V more than the TC-50, it would be a safe bet that a used Mark V would be best for you.

Latest posts

Back