TC-100 almost 2 months

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Well out of box this thing blew me away. Not too long after I noticed a ping noise when changing channels (sometimes it is a sign a tube is near the onset of microphonics but not always). Not too long after the bass response was a bit strong on CH3 so I swapped two tubes to compensate and all was well. This evening I decided to put Mesa tubes back into V3 and V4. No ping, awesome bass response on CH3 (no mud and tight) CH2 had a bit more punch. You can get a little change with preamp tubes but not a dramatic change.

The TC-100 is like having a blend of Mark and Dual Rec on CH3. That channel is just insane. Ch2 is also great. I never had the thin sound issue the way I dial it in on etiher the TC-50 or the TC-100. I have been experimenting recently with the power soak feature a bit more. It actually does a decent job. Definately quite different than the Mark V in 10W mode (or cathode biased mode as it were). Overall the TC-100 is a beast and keeps on delivering. The tone is getting better the more I play it. (also breaking in a vert 212 cab at the same time).

I am not disappointed with the TC-100. I would second that comment and add the TC-50 as that amp delivers the goods in a slightly different tone but basically sounds the same.

Since I have the TC-100, JP-2C and the TC-50 in the one room I spend the most time in, I give each amp an opportunity to entertain me. If I am not smiling when I am playing through etiher it is because the smile is in my mind and it is bigger than the cheshire cat. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=gXkFl4Gn&id=DB024E89B5708130FE4127AC368353E98251297F&thid=OIP.gXkFl4GnRMM6wW3rQglIOwHaF7&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fth09.deviantart.net%2ffs71%2fPRE%2fi%2f2013%2f138%2f9%2fe%2fthe_cheshire_cat_by_nnyon-d2sgs2n.jpg&exph=800&expw=1000&q=Cheshire+Cat+Drawing&simid=608015033113903760&selectedIndex=1&ajaxhist=0

I can say this, the TC-100 is a bit different than the TC-50, but the more I use it the more I love it. I have noticed the tone is getting closer to the TC-50 in terms of its dry characteristic. How am I defining dry? Tight is one thing but dry? I see it as the character of how the amp sounds when palm muted strings are played. It is definitely not muddy or drowning out. Reference would be the Roadster loaded with stock tubes, CH4 in Modern voice, palm muting on that just sounds like wet mud and sloppy. Mark V on IV CH3 without mods. Hmm, perhaps it sounds like it should? I cannot put it into words. It still retains the aggressive character it had out of the box but has improved in response on pick attack. It could be just the speakers in the new cab finally breaking in.

I really love the TC series amps just as much as I do the JP-2C. Sure they are a bit different in gain structure and tonal qualities but yet also similar or familiar in terms of overall characteristics. I am still impressed how loud the TC-50 is relative to the TC-100 with the same master volume settings. However with the power soak set to 50W, the TC-50 is definitely louder.

What is so cool about the two is the daisy chain on the midi and being able to control both with just one footswitch. All I need is a better guitar splitter that has a amp selector. What is also amazing is using different effects in the loop of each. That is wild and freaky at the same time. So If I wanted to do a Wet/Dry/Wet rig would I get another TC-50 or the TC-100? I would probably get another TC-50 due to cost and use the TC-100 as the center channel. Nah, just use the two TCs and run the JP or other amp as the center dry channel.

Hey Bandit!!

I am loving the 100w power section of the TC-100. I think you're right on describing the TC tone as a Mark/Rectifier mash up.

And I'm going to copy your idea and try using midi from my TC-100 thru to my Marshall JVM 205C in - so I can run both in stereo at home.

Marshall Boogie! :shock:

I'll probably use the Helix via 7CM to control both amps at once too.

Thanks for the idea!

Have fun with that. I have yet to explore the midi control from an aftermarket perspective. That would be ideal to get the JP-2C into the mix. I wonder it there would be any latency on switching all three amps. Coupling the two TC amps was easy, just set one to a different channel (one without the footswitch connected to it) and run midi cable from thru (one that has footswitch) to the input (one without footswitch). Have to make sure all of the toggle switches are set the same, power up and bingo. What is more amazing is your choice of effects on each amp. I ran the Strymon Bigsky on the TC-100 and the DIG delay on the TC-50. Oh yeah, was that fun. :p

One more thing, I cannot say it is better or worse than the TC-50. I actually love both amps. Having to decide for one or the other would be hard for me to do. Odd that I did not like the TC-50 when I tried it in the showroom. Key to a successful trial is to turn it up and stay out of the bedroom level. Set master control volume to at least 10am. Also you need to push the channel volume past noon and perhaps parallel the gain control as well. A bit more gain also sets the channel volume too as the two controls seem to be relative to one another which is quite different than the Mark series or Rectifier amps. For some reason or another, I like the stock EL34 tubes.

Latest posts

Back