Now you have the TC50, any thoughts or opinions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, now they come out with the TC100. Not upset over that by any means and I do plan on getting one when they become available. As for the TC-50, I have been enjoying that amp nearly every day since I got it (except for about 3 weeks due to a minor problem while it was back at Mesa for repair). It did not get much traction when it came back as I had interests elsewhere (JP-2C and the Mark V). Now that I am back on the TC-50 again, life is good.

I have read that some complain that there is not enough bottom end. I do not have that issue as this amp is quite similar to the Royal Atlantic so you need to dial in more bass on Ch2 and Ch3 to compensate as well as reduce the treble a bit. I have yet to get the amp to sound muddy. So far the Vertical 212 or the OS Recto 412 are perfect cabs to use with the TC-50. The 412 offers up a bit more midrange and a hint less bottom end than the 212 cabinets. I have also tried it with the Horizontal cab too. My preference is the Vertical 212 with this amp.

How many will jump on the TC-100? Do you like the TC-50 or is there something you like better? I am just curious what others feel about their TC-50. I am loving mine so it is a keeper. 8)

I like my TC-50. I've had it a couple months now and I'm still impressed with it. Over the last week or so I've really started to dial in "my" sound on channel's 2 and 3. I was initially trying to keep it in classic rock territory, but it's gradually been getting more aggressive as I give in. Getting in the zone of what I used to use my Recto for, with the added bonus of the lead channel on the TC-50 being absolutely insane. Everything I liked about Marks minus everything I disliked about Marks.

Channel 1 I haven't figured out yet, but I rarely use a clean channel since I usually roll my guitar's volume back so I've probably spent less than 30 minutes total on this channel since getting it. I do like that I can use it as an additional crunch channel, but I haven't found a lot of use for it just yet. Still, it's nice to know it's there if I need it.

My plans include a second TC-50. Nothing crazy, I want one to run a little cleaner and the other a little dirtier, probably 6L6 and EL34, and will probably run delay/reverb through one and leave the other dry.

But, I'm waiting for the TC-100 to come out so I can try one first.

Your plan is sound and I have the same or similar idea on the TC-100. I would agree that the TC series has some advantages over the Mark series amp and seems to tap into the Recto sound (not quite there on the Roadster CH4 Modern but has the characteristics and yet retains the harmonics you cannot get with the Roadster). I will have to revisit running that amp in parallel to the TC-50 to confirm if the harmonics get cancelled out due to the Roadster in the mix. I was actually very pleased with the blend of the TC-50 and the Mark V. I am sure I could control the Mark V with external switch gear and also have midi to control the TC series and possibly the JP at the same time. The same could be done with the Roadster so it is not a total loss but may be a rats nest of wires to contend with. Just a single midi cable between two amps makes that much cleaner and easier to manage.

Clean channel, sounds nice clean but dialed in with high gain, reduced bass and pushed treble on drive mode is a different animal than the Ch2 tone. Rich in the mids, good bottom end and predictable top end. What makes that more explosive is running that mode with another amp of similar caliber such as the RA100 with a hard driven clean channel. I am hoping the TC-100 would fill that area and would be more user friendly since the amps can be daisy chained by using the midi circuit. One footswitch to control two amps. Sweet. I find this more exciting than running two JP-2Cs I almost considered pulling the trigger on that idea but the TC series has more of a broad spectrum in its three channels and choice of power tubes. That on its own is so hard to ignore. I still love the JP-2C but I feel the TC series has more to offer. However, I have been pushing the treble more on CH3 and CH2 with a moderate bass increase. Actually CH2 sounds much thicker that way and can be mild to aggressive depending on where the gain or channel master is set.

I actually like this amp more than I thought I would. It has reached the top on my list but would have been there a bit sooner if it was 100W to start with as the big iron has its own characteristic than the smaller core of the 50 but that by no means is a bad thing.

bandit2013 said:
Your plan is sound and I have the same or similar idea on the TC-100. I would agree that the TC series has some advantages over the Mark series amp and seems to tap into the Recto sound (not quite there on the Roadster CH4 Modern but has the characteristics and yet retains the harmonics you cannot get with the Roadster).

The way I use it it's basically a more compressed Recto, minus the cold clipping distortion.

It's interesting how people are finding it a cross between a Mark and Recto. Kind of has the Rectos dynamics with the Mark's smoothness and compression.

I will have to revisit running that amp in parallel to the TC-50 to confirm if the harmonics get cancelled out due to the Roadster in the mix. I was actually very pleased with the blend of the TC-50 and the Mark V.

Over the years I've found that I don't really like blending two different amps. It seems like I loose as much as you gain, and in the end I prefer the sound/response of the single amp on it's own.

What I have had luck with is stereo power amps. The minor little differences between the two separate power stages are enough to thicken the results without making them sound like two different amps. Kind of like double tracking.

I actually like this amp more than I thought I would.

I'm in a similar situation. I bought it because I really needed an amp that could do classic rock, but I'm finding I like it for everything. I can get the dynamic rhythm I loved the Recto for and the compressed lead I loved Marks for. It doesn't have the Rectos aggressive distortion and harmonic swirl, but I can live without that.

It has reached the top on my list but would have been there a bit sooner if it was 100W to start with as the big iron has its own characteristic than the smaller core of the 50 but that by no means is a bad thing.

I'm adopting a wait and see approach. There's certain things I really like about the TC-50s frequency response, so I'm not going into this with the assumption that the 100 will automatically be better.

I am expecting the TC100 to sound a bit different but if it is not that will be fine too. The following does not mean anything: I have experimented with the TC-50 and slaved the RA100 with it. It did not change much but had the RA100 characteristics more so than the TC-50. The change is mostly in the supply and plate voltages of the RA100. I did the same thing with the JP-2C just for kicks and it sounded more like the JP than the TC-50. Obviously the power tubes are not EL34 in the JP. I can wait and see what the TC-100 can do for me. By no means am I considering selling the TC-50 unless to get another TC-100 after I get the first one. I may go the other route and get another TC-50. I found that two amps running in parallel sound better than three. May have to give it another go with the three amps. Still have not tried a quad of amps at the same time as I do not have the gear to accomplish that unless I want to hear ground loop noise.

For my needs, the TC-50 is perfect. I really do not have a need for another 100 watt amp, and I am getting to the age where lighter is by far better. I suspect the TC-100 may have more something, but at the volumes I use my amp for, will I ever really get to hear it? I am fascinated by the concept of 4 6V6 tubes instead of 2, but again, what will it really get me? Attentators and I have never really gotten along. Granted, I have never played an RA100, but the after market attenuators I have used just didn't do it for me.

I did just order a Morley ABY pedal and I plan to finally pair the TC-50 with my Electra Dyne. I have to try that at least once.

I’ll be keeping the TC-50 combo. It is my only combo and I use it when I need a combo (easier transport). I love having the options anyway. So, no TC-100 temptation here, since it is head only. I honestly don’t need the 100 watts for the small places I play with it. The 6V6 at 25 Watts is great for the small to medium spaces. As far as playing time, the Mark V wins hands down, then TC-50 and then Rectoverb 25.. although the other day when cranking the Rectoverb it was sublime. Each amp has it’s own character, for sure.

I love my TC50!

I've idolized various artists who play Mesa/Boogie amps for going on two decades now, but I've never felt any connection with a Mesa amp whenever I've plugged into one in a store. Lately, my tone tastes have gravitated more towards modified-Marshall territory... so the TC50 comes out, and on paper, it seems like my ideal amp! I tried one and yep, all my sounds are in there!!

Hands down, the most fun I've ever had with an amp.

To others trying one for the first time, be sure to try it with various cabinets. The cab is such a huge part of any tone, but the TC seems especially sensitive to cabinet/speaker choice.

Despite being a 6L6 guy traditionally, I haven't felt any need to try something other than the EL34's that it came with. Same goes for the preamp tubes, which is really saying something, because I almost immediately start tweaking with other amps. (curious about JJ high-gain selected 12AX7's and JJ KT77's from Eurotubes though, in case anyone has tried that combination).

I love the TC-50 enough to get the TC-100. Will see how that pans out. Also got a midi cable so I can couple the TC-50 and use one footswitch to control both. Too bad the RA100 does not have midi but that is okay. I am looking forward to its arrival.

"I love the TC-50 enough to get the TC-100" (+1)

I am about to order mine!

I'm really liking my TC combo. It's starting to sound even better with a couple preamp tube swaps. So far I've tried a Mullard 12ax7, GT 12at7 and a JJ 5751. I'm going to spend more time with some other tubes this weekend. Has anyone settled on other non-stock preamp tubes worth checking out? If so, please share what tube and which slot. Cheers!

I have sampled a few preamp tubes but like the stock tubes. Perhaps there is a difference between the combo and the head. I wonder what the combo would sound like coupled with a wide body cab with the MC90 in it. I have always like the combination of the two with the Mark V. I will have to give it a try as I do have a wide body open back cab with MC90. Every time I go to plug into the TC-50 I keep staring at the cab and wonder what it would sound like. Why I have not tried it, not really sure. The point is simple to understand, different speakers or cab format could change your perception on the amp and its settings. Normally when I am combining amps with cabinets, I may tune the preamp to exploit the best characteristics I can get for the combination. So far I am pleased with the stock tubes in the TC-50 and the TC-100 when combined with the Vertical 212 cab. Perhaps that is why I have yet to hook up the MC90 cab.

Back