Slaved the TC-50 preamp into JP-2C return

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
This was something I have not done before but after measuring the Send levels on three amps and in light of the past issue I had with the TC-50, I figured I would try to see what would happen if I slaved the JP-2C. At least I had much better control of things using the JP-2C than I did when I tried this with the RA100. The RA100 when slaved, the only control on volume is the preamp of the TC-50. You are basically hitting the phase inverter with the return signal. That in itself was okay and there was not much of a tonal difference between the TC-50 power section and the RA100.

Now for the JP-2C, the channel volume controls appear to be following the loop. I used a Lehle P-split-2 in the loop of the TC-50 which basically acted as a jumper but with an isolation transformer output that I connected to the return of the JP-2C. Also plugged in a dummy cable into the Send of the JP just as a precaution as I am uncertain if it has an integrated switch in the send jack. Normally it is part of the return jack.

Ch2 and CH3, it made no difference since the tone of the JP-2C seemed to be there. The TC-50 preamp did not change the JP-2C character all that much as it still sounded like I was playing the JP-2C. Also the post EQ was effective if I wanted to use it, and I did. I actually prefer the preamp of the JP-2C with the power section of the JP-2C much better. Not much to say about it. Nothing to write home about either and why am I posting this..... I guess I am wondering what the TC-50 preamp would sound like with a 100W+ power section (I just cannot wait to get the TC-100).

That only lasted a short while but I did spend the rest of the evening running both amps in parallel. Moved the Lehle P-split to the front end and balanced out the volume levels. That was fun. Had to adjust the phase when switching between CH2 and CH3. Both amps sound great together, almost too good. I am getting more ideas for my next project. I did try running the cleans in parallel, that was a bit overwhelming (very loud). The blend of the JP-2C and TC-50 was just as rewarding as the blend of the TC-50 and the Roadster, or TC-50 with the RA100 (actually like that the best).

Now the question is: Do I hit submit or cancel ?

Submit. Definitely.

My newest amp is the Peavey Invective. It’s awesome. Because I had no way to ABY at the time, I slaved the TC-50 by running the Invective and the right side of some stereo pedals into the TC’s loop. It sounded truly amazing but I hated the idea of wasting the TC’s preamp which I think is fantastic. So I built a rig allowing me to use both preamps and both FX loops. It is absolutely stunning. It’s a good thing I don’t gig because I’m not sure I could give these sounds up and I’m positive my bad back would be worse off for it. LOL

Considering weight issues, I am glad I do not have to take my gear out for sessions or gigs. I fell in love with the RA100 paired up with the TC-50. Running those two in parallel is just ear candy that is hard to stop. Same goes for the TC-50 and the JP-2C. So if I had a gig, which pair of amps would I take?

I think the TC-100 would be a good fit for me. I can daisy chain the midi function and use one footswitch (hopes this will work as I have plans on getting the TC-100). I have set up a wet/dry rig using the TC-50 and the RA100 but it becomes a pedal fest changing channels (actually for me it is two toggle switches as I am not using the footswitch control at the moment). I also have an amp switcher pedal that is similar to the P-split but it has a dual input and output so I can use a stereo pedal on the guitar signal. I would prefer to use both preamps of each amp, that way you can adjust tone slightly differently from each other which definitely adds depth to the stereo effect. I can run up to three amps in parallel using the P-split and little amp switcher made by Lehle as the amp switcher also has isolated output transformer. If I had the money, I would also get another TC-50 and daisy chain that with the current TC-50 and the TC-100. Use the 50W for stereo effects and the 100W for the center channel. Nah, just dreaming.... Though I am considering the TC-100 and keeping the TC-50.

This got me thinking... Is it possible to take the EFX SEND from the TC-50 and go into a stereo pedal, and then use the RIGHT channel to go back to EFX RETURN of the TC-50 and send the LEFT channel to another amp EFX RETURN (Rectoverb or Mark V)?

Is it possible to swith the order and use the Mark V pre-amp, and to split the EFX loop into stereo and to return to the Mark V and another amp?

Or, should one use the SLAVE of the Mark V and send that to another amp EFX RETURN or just directly to the INPUT or the 2nd amp (TC-50 or Rectoverb)?

Probably simplest to put a stereo pedal out in front of the amps and then run the pedal in true bypass and just use it as a splitter to go into two amps. I guess one would hear the full gain and power stages of both amps that way.

I guess I’ll have to play around with it.

I looked to see what other products that are available that have isolated outputs for at least one channel. Fulltone, Lehel, RJM tone saver, and Lehle. What I like about the Lehle P-split, it does not require external power or batteries. The multi-amp switches do require power. I should try out a Fulltone product and see how those work out. Their "true path" aby-HT has an isolation channel and selectable buffers. Not sure about the RJM tone saver as that one needs 9V source but it does have an isolated output along with a direct.

I have tired many things in the past like using a stereo pedal to split signals. End result was OK but not rewarding due to noise levels from ground loops between the two amps and is extremely noisy when one amp is on standby and the other is not. The isolated splitter or amp switcher works as advertised and what is cool, if there is a phase switch that can change things up a bit, and no noise to speak of even with one amp on stand-by.

As for using the slave out on the Mark V, never tried it. The JP-2C has one too and again never tried that one either.

It is possible to use a isolated splitter in the FX loop. The direct remains connected to the FX loop and the isolated output can be used with another amp return. For stereo, just use a mono to stereo effect, one side returns to the V, the other to the isolated signal splitter (FX output to the direct input of the splitter, isolated output of the splitter to the return jack of the other amp.

I use the Abybaby by The GigRig. Has isolation and phase control. It is fantastic but does need power. Radial also makes popular ABY switchers.

For my “simple” stereo rig I went guitar > Invective input > Invective FX send > stereo pedal input (BigSky), then:

- BigSky Left Output > Invective FX return
- BigSky Right Output > TC-50 FX return

Very simple routing. Actually it was a little bit more complex with pedals between the guitar and amp input, and other stereo pedals between the amp and the BigSky, but the basic routing was really no more complex than what I listed above. Worked great and had zero noise issues.

Most of the ABY controls will require power since they use audio or Teledyne relays for switching. Also some have buffered outputs.

I also have an ABY switcher but it has dual input control (can be used as mono or stereo) it is also made by Lehle. I bought that after my experience with the P-split 2. It works great.

Using an ABY switcher is cool and allows you to select one amp or both. The P-split has no relays so it splits the signal always. What works great about that, I can put that into the FX loop of one amp and slave another using the amp's return. Still I prefer using the preamp on both amps so putting that on the front end works just as good. Actually running a delay on one amp in mono mode sounds really good. You still get the delay and added clarity or definition of the other amp (some delays do have modulation and repeat degradation depending on the type of delay, others may have no other effect on the repeats except for level dropping, and some just go to wild and may distract the actual content of the repeat and you loose contend or definition.) Ping Pong delay would definitely be ideal in stereo. I will have to try a mono to stereo effect in the loop but then if I did it would kill the preamp in the other amp. Ping pong would work on the front end or if you have a stereo power amp. Perhaps the rack mount gear would be better suited for that purpose.

What would be really cool; if Mesa developed a stereo power amp that would combine the JP-2C power section and include something like the progressive linkage of the Road King II for an EL34 and 6L6 platform. Say a 50w/50w/100w per each channel, make it midi switchable And a Preamp that combines features from the Mark Series amps, Dual Rec and Triple crown. Call it the World Stage Series and perhaps allow you to use two preamps in parallel via midi or footswitch. Brit circuits, Rectifier circuits and Mark circuits all in one, also would need a killer clean channel. Problem solved. Oh well, in the mean time, we have to play tricks with pedals, splitters, and good luck.

Latest posts

Back