The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 am 
Triple Recto

And the wait continues to mount into obsession.

I am pulling the trigger once they arrive. I could preorder but I can wait and if a bit longer is needed that is okay too. You know how it plays out. Once you commit and then "WTF, When did that come out?" appears in the forums. I fear not as I have great interests in the TC series and if the TC100 is as much fun as the RA100 it is a win for me, even if the next Roadster-Road King or Mark amp pops out a sneak release or leak. I already have a modernized Mark amp with JP in its name. For some reason or another I think if Mesa did a Hatfield version it may be based on the Mark IV. If and when the Mark VI comes out it would have to surpass the JP-2C before I bite.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 pm 
Triple Recto

I see they are in stock now. Got mine coming on its way. WooHoo :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:34 am 
Triple Recto

I should have the TC-100 today..... Work was shut down due to ice, wonder if the amp will arrive today considering the road conditions are not very good here on the east coast in NC. Perhaps on Saturday or Monday if not today.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 am 
Mark I

Let us know what you think!

I'm going on a business trip to TX for 2 weeks, so Sweetwater is holding the shipping on my TC-100 and JVM215C until 1/18/18 - I'll get it right when I come back - which is gonna be awesome!

I'm particularly interested on your thoughts on the 20, 7, and 3 watt modes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:52 pm 
Triple Recto

I would expect that the lower wattage will be about the same as the RA100. Also that gets hard on the tubes (at least with the RA). Since I have hard to find Gems in the RA100 (SED =C= EL34) I do not use the attenuator but it sounds awesome to choke it a bit on the clean channel with the gain maxed out.

So many FedEx trucks have passed my home. Three so far. They all seem to stop at the home next door across the street. So far no deliveries to my home yet. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 pm 
Triple Recto

Seems like the delivery is going all over the place except to its final destination. It has been in transit since 3am this morning just 29 miles away. It will probably be sent to FedEx location that is 35 miles away from me, but 50 miles from its location this morning. May never get it this weekend. Oh well, there is no reason why it should not arrive by Tuesday by the way it looks. Unless it goes back to Indiana or some other remote location before they realize the amp circumvented the globe before reaching its final destination. Such is life. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:56 am 
Triple Recto

I guess the wait continues. :cry: My amp has been stuck 29 miles away at the FedEx facility, delivery is doomed and ill marked as Pending. I think they lost it during transit. (perhaps it was crushed or damaged and they are trying to determine to ship it back or send it on its way, or they have not peeled the truck body back far enough to get to it. ) Maybe I am not supposed to have this amp. I almost expected to have it yesterday since all roads were passable without issue. I fear the worst but may be surprised. This does happen, unfortunately. The amp did make it to NC but what condition is it in? Perhaps the spring reverb making noise has them baffled.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:23 am 
Mark III

Think positive thoughts bandit.

Mark V
JP2C

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:05 am 
Triple Recto

I thought things looked good yesterday, My order was in route for delivery. When I got home from work I though OH SH!@, the midi cable is hear but not the amp, WTF? I was relieved to discover the amp was not registered as delivered. The TC-100 has been eluding me for some reason. Perhaps it is embarrassed to be exposed to my review. If anyone recalls I did not favor the TC-50 at all when I first played though it, almost wanted to return it but I gave it some time and now I love it. So far the only TC-100 I have seen or hear was in videos. Next thing I will hear, "lost at sea". Hopefully there are no flooding rains in the forecast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:48 pm 
Triple Recto

I thought I announced it arrived. Oh well, It came, out of box experience was more than I had expected. Yeah baby, this amp is a beast!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:41 pm 
Mark I

Mine arrived Monday - didn't have time to test it out until last night.

WOW!!!! Big difference in tone compared to the TC-50, at least to my ears.

I now know my issue with the TC-50 was with the tone section of the 50W power amp - now I know I'm a 100 watt guy - I use a JVM 410 at rehearsal and am probably just accustomed to that 100 watt power amp response/tone.

But I really like the 20/7/3 watt capabilities on this for quieter jamming - although that rarely happens at my place! :lol:

Can't wait to go home tonight and dig into it a little deeper - setgin up the midi programs last night with my Helix as well.

I still have the EL34's in there, so I'm really looking forward to try out the 6L6's.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:51 pm 
Mark II

Here's a question:
Is Mesa gonna release a TC-50 with the same attenuator feature as the TC-100? Kinda like they did with the Express 5:25 Plus and the 5:50 Plus?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:51 am 
Triple Recto

cwgatti24 wrote:
Here's a question:
Is Mesa gonna release a TC-50 with the same attenuator feature as the TC-100? Kinda like they did with the Express 5:25 Plus and the 5:50 Plus?

I hope not. I love the TC-50 as is. I think having the attenuator on that amp would not be a good thing. If they did, you would probably get a two tube version of the TC-100 vrs the TC-50. I like the way the TC-50 sounds with its smaller iron transformers. Just my opinion. I like the TC-100 at full power more than with the attenuator, I feel the same with the RA100. Once you drop it to the -3dB or 50W you may as well use a blanket. I thing the power soak feature would have been better if the first step was less than 50% reduction. The TC-50 is louder than the TC-100 set to 50W. What would have been a nice feature would be to have a 3 position power switch 50W/OFF/100W like the RA100 amp has, and label the power soak function the same way as the RA100. I know the RA is slightly different than the TC sereis but when set to 50W power it is about the same as the TC-50 in percieved loudness. The power soak is not bad on the TC-100, I just feel the amp sounds better at full power.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:45 am 
Mark II

bandit2013 wrote:
cwgatti24 wrote:
Here's a question:

I hope not. I love the TC-50 as is. I think having the attenuator on that amp would not be a good thing. If they did, you would probably get a two tube version of the TC-100 vrs the TC-50. I like the way the TC-50 sounds with its smaller iron transformers. Just my opinion. I like the TC-100 at full power more than with the attenuator, I feel the same with the RA100. Once you drop it to the -3dB or 50W you may as well use a blanket. I thing the power soak feature would have been better if the first step was less than 50% reduction. The TC-50 is louder than the TC-100 set to 50W. What would have been a nice feature would be to have a 3 position power switch 50W/OFF/100W like the RA100 amp has, and label the power soak function the same way as the RA100. I know the RA is slightly different than the TC sereis but when set to 50W power it is about the same as the TC-50 in percieved loudness. The power soak is not bad on the TC-100, I just feel the amp sounds better at full power.

Thanks Bandit. I had an old Ampeg VL 503, and my fave amp of all time a Marshall 30th Anny. that had the attenuators. I couldn't dial in the Ampeg, but the Marshall I had nailed! Set at 25 watts. My current amp is a Express 5:50+ I have set at 5 watts for dirty and 25 watts for clean. I really need 3 channel for my style, and the new TC-100 has what I need. My only concern is that 100 watts is way way too much for me. In theory, the 50 would be better....could I add my own attenuator to the 50 or is that too messy/hassle?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:37 am 
Triple Recto

cwgatti24 wrote:
bandit2013 wrote:
cwgatti24 wrote:
Here's a question:

Thanks Bandit. I had an old Ampeg VL 503, and my fave amp of all time a Marshall 30th Anny. that had the attenuators. I couldn't dial in the Ampeg, but the Marshall I had nailed! Set at 25 watts. My current amp is a Express 5:50+ I have set at 5 watts for dirty and 25 watts for clean. I really need 3 channel for my style, and the new TC-100 has what I need. My only concern is that 100 watts is way way too much for me. In theory, the 50 would be better....could I add my own attenuator to the 50 or is that too messy/hassle?

Sure, you can run an external attenuator with any tube amp. I would recommend one that is scalable with many different attenuation settings along with a bass and treble enhancement mode. Some amps may behave differently with loading. I have not tried the attenuator that I have on the TC-50. The TC-100 may seem like it has more power than one would need but does quite well with lower volume settings. It is very similar to the TC-50 such that you do not need to run it hard to get the grind. Tone of the amp remains almost constant at any volume setting unlike some other amps that may become more bass dominant (JP-2C) or fizzy. TC-50 has more of a dry tone as it seems to be ideal with palm muted chords or notes (similar to the JP-2C in that regard) where as the TC-100 seems to have a more forward pick attach to its character such that the initial hit on the string when palm muting is not as dry and responds with more midrange and top end and a subtly looser bass but yet remains bold. Perhaps dry is not a good word choice, woody may be a bit better. The TC-50 can be run at 25W but not on the fly, just get a pair of 6V6 tubes. Awesome amp with the 6V6. I would not say one version is better than the other, I feel they are equal in tone quality and performance but they do have a slight difference in tone because of power supply and OT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next