TC-100.......I knew I should have waited!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently I don’t feel like the TC-50 is lacking in the volume or headroom department so I don’t feel the need to switch at all. Never know down the road though since The Invective is 120 (though it does have a half power mode; haven’t tried that yet).

Interesting, though sticking with plans to buy the 50 combo. Do we think there will be any more new amp announcements by end of the year?

MBConvert said:
Interesting, though sticking with plans to buy the 50 combo. Do we think there will be any more new amp announcements by end of the year?

2 more amps in the works. Can't say anything about what I know however out of respect for a few people and Randall Smith.

thediavlo said:
MBConvert said:

2 more amps in the works. Can't say anything about what I know however out of respect for a few people and Randall Smith.

While these be announced by end of year?

sloanthebone said:
thediavlo said:
MBConvert said:

While these be announced by end of year?

No clue man.

I've heard rumors of a James Hetfield IIc+ signature amp, but those are just rumors. It wouldn't surprise me though - out of anyone who has played Mesa's their whole career, Hetfield is deserving of a signature amp. He's definitely one of my favorite rhythm players/songwriters and has great tone - especially on the newest album Hardwired. Also, a revamped Mark V with Midi capabilities would make sense.

I called Sweetwater and they're going to do an exchange for my TC-50. Wow - is all I can say - their customer service is 2nd to none. I bet it also helps that I've been ordering a bunch through them lately - I really don't shop anywhere else for gear. I have a Gibson SG Standard in Autumn Shade arriving on Monday. :twisted:

Let us know how the 100 works out. I have no plans on selling my 50 since it suits my needs better than 100 at the moment... but I'm always curious.

Nice to have more options. The 50 is plenty for me though so I won't be getting the 100. only having to replace one pair of power tubes is a nice change over my 100 watt RA and ED.

I could not wait so I bought the TC-50. No big deal as I also have two RA100's. As for the power soak, I rarely ever use it in the RA100 but once in a while I have. Seems to work best with SED =C= EL34 tubes, it is okay with the stock EL34's. So far the stock tubes are great in the TC-50. Have not put the NOS Siemens in since the amp came back from Mesa. Had issue with the mute circuit latching on due to a triac issue. Other than that the TC-50 has been good to me. Still, wonder what 4 6V6's would sound like, as it was the 6V6 option that sold me on the TC-50. Tempting. I did not see a half power mode on the back or front of the TC-100, other than the power soak feature. A half power mode would be cool if it had it. I doubt I would want to sue the power soak for that as it becomes hard on power tubes and may result in shorter tube life with the more aggressive attenuation settings. However, the trade off is operating at ideal saturation levels with reduction in output so you do not have to go deaf to hear the sweet spot. I have found myself using the RA100 at full power more than using the power soak. CH3 at 100W on the TC-50 would be a bonus as the higher gain settings tend to compress a bit.

Same size as the TC-50 so you can use the Vertical 212 cab if you have one. Can't mount the RA100 head on top of that as it is huge in relative size, almost larger than the OS Recto slant cab but fits with a slight bit of overhang. Having the selectable FX loop, reverb and 3 channels with solo function on the footswitch may be more ideal and a means to edge me away from the RA100. If I get the TC-100, I have no plans on selling my RA100's. I do not mind having both.

I'm almost certainly in for a TC100 when they hit the UK. Been sitting on the TC 50 fence for a few months now, but the spec on this one has done it for me

As others have said elsewhere, a TC and Dyne are probably an ideal Mesa duo for what I need. I may well sell the Lonestar, which is a bit of a wrench, but something has to give if a TC joins the stable :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bandit2013 said:
I could not wait so I bought the TC-50. No big deal as I also have two RA100's. As for the power soak, I rarely ever use it in the RA100 but once in a while I have. Seems to work best with SED =C= EL34 tubes, it is okay with the stock EL34's. So far the stock tubes are great in the TC-50. Have not put the NOS Siemens in since the amp came back from Mesa. Had issue with the mute circuit latching on due to a triac issue. Other than that the TC-50 has been good to me. Still, wonder what 4 6V6's would sound like, as it was the 6V6 option that sold me on the TC-50. Tempting. I did not see a half power mode on the back or front of the TC-100, other than the power soak feature. A half power mode would be cool if it had it. I doubt I would want to sue the power soak for that as it becomes hard on power tubes and may result in shorter tube life with the more aggressive attenuation settings. However, the trade off is operating at ideal saturation levels with reduction in output so you do not have to go deaf to hear the sweet spot. I have found myself using the RA100 at full power more than using the power soak. CH3 at 100W on the TC-50 would be a bonus as the higher gain settings tend to compress a bit.

Same size as the TC-50 so you can use the Vertical 212 cab if you have one. Can't mount the RA100 head on top of that as it is huge in relative size, almost larger than the OS Recto slant cab but fits with a slight bit of overhang. Having the selectable FX loop, reverb and 3 channels with solo function on the footswitch may be more ideal and a means to edge me away from the RA100. If I get the TC-100, I have no plans on selling my RA100's. I do not mind having both.

Bandit - you are aware of the volume issues I was experiencing with the TC-50. My experience with this amp has taught me the value and very definition of head room. There is a slight possibility something might have been wrong with my TC-50 as well since my Mark V35 sounded and felt louder.

I'm not sure how the power soak feature on the TC-100 works technically, but am hoping that in a 50 watt setting only half the tubes are in use. I already ordered another pair of 6L6's to be able to swap out all 4 and another 12AT7 as a backup.

I will definitely use this on my 2x12 vertical cab, but I've really been loving my straight 4x12 Mesa cab lately. Every amp sounds huge through that cab!

What really made me make the switch was the 20, 7, and 3 watt settings as I'm just now starting to get back into recording. These lower wattage setting will be extremely useful in the recording realm. But man, I cannot wait to hear the 100 watt power tone when it arrives! Especially with the band during rehearsals. I just sent back the TC-50 today via Fed Ex.

Joshwah333 said:
Bandit - you are aware of the volume issues I was experiencing with the TC-50. My experience with this amp has taught me the value and very definition of head room. There is a slight possibility something might have been wrong with my TC-50 as well since my Mark V35 sounded and felt louder.

I'm not sure how the power soak feature on the TC-100 works technically, but am hoping that in a 50 watt setting only half the tubes are in use. I already ordered another pair of 6L6's to be able to swap out all 4 and another 12AT7 as a backup.

I will definitely use this on my 2x12 vertical cab, but I've really been loving my straight 4x12 Mesa cab lately. Every amp sounds huge through that cab!

What really made me make the switch was the 20, 7, and 3 watt settings as I'm just now starting to get back into recording. These lower wattage setting will be extremely useful in the recording realm. But man, I cannot wait to hear the 100 watt power tone when it arrives! Especially with the band during rehearsals. I just sent back the TC-50 today via Fed Ex.

I had to look back at your posts, sorry you had a bad deal with your TC-50 not meeting your needs. I was eating crow myself shortly after writhing up my first experience with the TC-50. It did take some time to get used to it. The hard part was sharing the one Vertical 212 cab with the JP-2C. I did not like that amp right out of the box either but that is because I did not realize the amp would be that dark at reduced volumes. One simple trick and Holly S. does that amp sound incredible. I also like the TC-50 just as much but for different reasons. I would say the JP-2C is more for Metal than blues or classic rock and the RA100 fits that category quite well. The TC-50 does have a different Hi gain channel (CH3) compared to the RA100.

I was looking at the TC-100 pictures, Front and Back, and it looks like the power soak is active all the time, or turned off if set to 100W for that selected channel. I can do the same with the RA100 but can also turn it completely off on the front panel. RA100 also has the 100w/off/50W power switch. I did not see that on the TC-100 or any switch to operate at half power (pair of tubes vs full quad). I wonder if the user manual is available. Either way I hope the TC-100 works out for you. If not, get the JP-2C.

The power soak feature appears to be quite similar or the same as the RA100 (it is similar to a load box). I would not doubt it is the same thing as there is a patent on that. The Multi soak feature on the RA100 is given in db. (0db)=100w, (-4db) =75W, (-8db) = 50W, (-12db) = 27W and the last is (-16db)=3W. I would not doubt it is similar to the TC-100 version. I will have to try the 50W power with the multi-soak and see what happens. It has been a while since I powered up either of the RA100's.

Deadpool_25 said:
Currently I don’t feel like the TC-50 is lacking in the volume or headroom department so I don’t feel the need to switch at all. Never know down the road though since The Invective is 120 (though it does have a half power mode; haven’t tried that yet).

Do it.... you may be surprised how half power sounds. The only way to get half power from the TC-50 is to swap to 6V6 tubes, definitely worth while too.

the RA100 at 50W (half power and not using the multi soak feature) definitely changes the distortion characteristic. Heck, even the Roadster CH3 on Vintage setting was ideal for leads using 50W setting and rectifier to boot. Sometimes loosing the extra headroom can bring out the sweet spot much easier than running at full power.

Joshwah333 said:
Check this out: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TripleCH100

Just bought my TC-50 2 months ago. I knew I should have waited for the next model.

MAJOR FACE PALM!!!

When it comes in, you will gives all a run down on the 100W version of the Triple Crown......

If I get one, I may or may not keep the TC-50. Dang it... a quad of 6V6 tubes would be cool. Wonder if you can mix a pair of 6V6 with EL34 tubes.......Probably not a good idea unless it is stated you can do it. Has anyone seen any videos or sound clips of the new addition? Just curious when that will leak out too. Have not seen a trace of a manual yet.... Just out of curiosity, I think the cat is dead.

~edit~
Never mind, I found it.

bandit2013 said:
Do it.... you may be surprised how half power sounds. The only way to get half power from the TC-50 is to swap to 6V6 tubes, definitely worth while too.

the RA100 at 50W (half power and not using the multi soak feature) definitely changes the distortion characteristic. Heck, even the Roadster CH3 on Vintage setting was ideal for leads using 50W setting and rectifier to boot. Sometimes loosing the extra headroom can bring out the sweet spot much easier than running at full power.

Yeah I really liked the TC-50 with the 6V6s. It’s back to EL34s now. I think I missed the headroom at 50 a little even though I was just at home. Hmmm. TC-100 at 50w with 6V6s? Did we just make up a reason for me to get a 100?? Lol

Yeah I need to switch the Invective to half power just to try it if nothing else. It’s just a simple switch so it’s super easy. The Invective can take a bunch of tube types too (more than the TC officially). Just need to rebias which should also be pretty simple I guess.

Back