Cool Time With Plini, David Maxim Micic, and Nick Johnston

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
A while ago I bought a ticket to the concert and noticed they were doing master class sessions at each venue. I'm still barely an early intermediate player, but I signed up figuring I could sit quietly in a corner and just soak it in. So I get there and it turns out I'm the only one who signed up for the class at this venue--it was just those three monster players and me lol. I have to admit, it was a little awkward and a bit intimidating, but they were all super cool.

We sat and talked for a little while, then they each gave me a little rig rundown. Nick is using a TC-50 to an un-mic'd 4x12 on stage and running through the cab clone to FOH. For effects he was using just an MXR Carbon Copy (Bright I think?...the lighter green one).

Both Plini and David are using Axe FX units.

Nick stayed on the TC's channel 2 the whole time. I noticed that he had his treble dialed way back (it was either all the way off or very close to it) and also had his Presence dialed way back. I mentioned that to him and we both agreed that the TC-50 seems to be quite bright sounding. He said that Randall Smith told him that, like a lot of Mesas, the TC-50 is quite bright and can sound good with the highs dialed back a lot.

All three players are F'n amazing. The Fractal units sound phenomenal through FOH. Nick sounded very good too, but I have to admit that, in terms of sound quality, the Mesa Cab Clone is no match for the Fractal units (this is not surprising, but figured I'd mention it).

After the rig rundowns we chatted a bit more and then Plini basically forced his guitar into my hands (I tried to decline but he was insistent). He took the drums and I "played" (very loose definition) a bit with David and Nick. That was simultaneously the most embarrassed I've been in years and was also one of the coolest moments I've ever had.

If you have the chance, go see them and I definitely recommend the master class to just ask some questions and such. They are three stellar players and are just genuinely awesome guys.

Lucky dog! After 30 years of playing, I still consider myself intermediate, lol! There is always more to learn... That had to be an incredibly awesome experience! I am envious!!!

Lucky for you to able to have that chance and meet up with those guys. Awesome.

Interesting, that they mentioned Randall Smith's comments about the amp being bright. But, now that you mention it, the TC-50 intro video from Mesa also mentions this. Channel 2 can be bright, but definitely "malleable" enough to dial in smooth, growling tone. Awesome amp and a great compliment to the Mark series.

Mace

Awesome story.... that is the ideal situation to be in. What would be worse... a room full of others that have the me first mentality, or their ego is so huge.... cool that you had a one on one!

Intermediate, not me, I am more like a beginner for the past 32 years that never learned a complete song ... Always get stuck on the lead and sort of loose interest in going further (because I cannot do it..... :roll: )

My first impressions on the TC-50 was relating to its brightness..... I did not like that but at least it is not harsh or ice pick so I can live with that. Since I have had mine I found that I am dialing in more treble and presence compared to removing it.... Perhaps it depends on the cab choice. 412 is quite different than the Vet 212.

Back