HELP! IM OVERTHINKING AND CAN'T STOP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_not_Pet

Reaction score
So, I'm selling my current amp. I love it but just not versatile enough. I would like at LEAST two channels. And I'm currently stuck between a TC-50 and a Lonestar. Gimme the Pros & Cons of both.

First off what are you considering giving up for something different?

Also what version of LoneStar are you considering? I would assume you are referencing the 100W version? The LoneStar is more of a country music style of amplifier. It can get dirty and do rock too. That is as much as I know about it.

The TC-50 is rude and crude but sounds great. Primarily it is geared towards the EL34 power tube, but can be used with 6L6 or 6V6 power tubes. TC-50 has two independent preamp gain circuits, one is focused on the clean channel and the other shared by the Hi and Lo gain channels which makes up two complete controls for each hi and lo gain functions. There are many features provided with this amplifier and you can review all of them on the Mesa web site. While you are there compare that to the LoneStar. CH1 (clean) is awesome for blues, and some classic rock that has a lower gain structure. CH2 is ideal for harder classic rock like Led Zeppelin, ACDC and similar bands. CH3 is has much more drive and a bit more compression that is good for modern to classic heavy metal style. There are more pro's that could be listed and way to many to list here. Con's, I can only think of two, the amp is 50W. The only way to get half power is to use 6V6 tubes. The second it is does not have 100W capability which would be ideal for me. Other than that the 50W amp is easily run low and sounds good at lower volume settings. It is a fun amp to play though.

bandit2013 said:
First off what are you considering giving up for something different?

Also what version of LoneStar are you considering? I would assume you are referencing the 100W version? The LoneStar is more of a country music style of amplifier. It can get dirty and do rock too. That is as much as I know about it.

The TC-50 is rude and crude but sounds great. Primarily it is geared towards the EL34 power tube, but can be used with 6L6 or 6V6 power tubes. TC-50 has two independent preamp gain circuits, one is focused on the clean channel and the other shared by the Hi and Lo gain channels which makes up two complete controls for each hi and lo gain functions. There are many features provided with this amplifier and you can review all of them on the Mesa web site. While you are there compare that to the LoneStar. CH1 (clean) is awesome for blues, and some classic rock that has a lower gain structure. CH2 is ideal for harder classic rock like Led Zeppelin, ACDC and similar bands. CH3 is has much more drive and a bit more compression that is good for modern to classic heavy metal style. There are more pro's that could be listed and way to many to list here. Con's, I can only think of two, the amp is 50W. The only way to get half power is to use 6V6 tubes. The second it is does not have 100W capability which would be ideal for me. Other than that the 50W amp is easily run low and sounds good at lower volume settings. It is a fun amp to play though.

I'm selling my Dr. Z Remedy. I love it, and I can get AMAZING cleans from it, and pretty decent overdrive if I get the settings JUST right, but the issues I have with it are:
1) No Effects Loop, and I use a lot of delay so I can't overdrive the amp or the delays are too hairy.
2) Hard to find a good clean tone at stage volume that won't break up. And if I DO find a good clean tone, it doesn't sound good with drive pedals. (FYI: I HATE using drive pedals)
3) While you CAN get good clean and good drive out of JUST the amp, you can't switch between the two since it's a single channel amp.
4) If I DO get a good driven tone from JUST the amp, it works great for rhythm but lacks smoothness and sustain for playing lead, which is what I do 95% of the time.
5) Since it's a single channel amp, and I have to run it clean and rely on pedals (BK Butler Tube Driver for main gain, Klon for clean boost, Dr. Z Variable Boost Footswitch for lead boost) I end up doing a lot of tap dancing.

Ultimately, I just really need an amp that has 2-3 channels (clean, thick drive, thick smooth lead), an effects loop (footswitchable would be nice) , footswitchable channels is a HUGE plus, and sounds good at low-ish volumes as well as larger venue levels.

Well, why not a JP-2C. Has three channels, excellent clean, thick and crunchy mid channel and smooth and or grinding lead channel. Two EQs, FX loop, Reverb, Plenty of power to a gig or can be run at lower volumes and sound good (with a few tricks). For lower to moderate level use a 2x12 cab, for more extreme either two 2x12 cabs (sounds better) or 412 cab, and if you need more you can add another 412 for a full stack if needed.

Mark V is also quite versatile and has 6 voices of gain to choose from, three on the clean but one can be used driven hard.

TC-50 has similar features as the JP-2C and similar format on tone but does not have 5EQ. Both of these can be used with almost any venu and style. The TC-50 can drive one 412 or two 2x12, one 212 or a 1x12. As it is only 50W that gives you options. What I love about the TC-50 is the drive switch on the clean channel for a vintage distortion or dirty blues. For range of no gain to high gain this amp will do it.

I have all three of those and a few others.

JP-2C and TC-50 have excellent FX loops, quite neutral and works well with all instrument level effects as well as those that may have a wider input range up to instrument level (Strymon as a reference). The Mark V on the other hand is more compatible with line level effects and may overdrive most instrument level gear (there is a solution for this and it is the line-level shifter made by ebtech but I have not tried one yet as what I am using now is line level compatible). The TC-50 and JP-2C also have a midi controller and cab clone (allows you to run the amp in silent mode and use headphones) which provides an XLR line out to front of house or for recording. The TC-50 is the only one that can select FX loop on the footswitch, JP-2C is midi assignable. Mark V also has the FX loop enable switch and you can select what channel activates the FX loop as well (you can still use the footswitch to turn on and off the loop. Also has a hard bypass to run the amp using the channel masters to control the volume. FX loop active provides you with solo boost and global volume control. TC-50 has the global and solo feature available all the time (solo is a foot switch function). JP-2C uses the channel master volumes and does not have a master volume control. I generally leave the FC loop on (front panel switch) and use the effects pedal for the hard bypass.

I think the best bang for the buck would be the TC-50 as well as being able to use three different power tubes (EL34/6L6/6V6). JP-2C is 6L6 only. Mark V can manage both 6L6 and EL34 (need to use the variac power mode). I would focus your attention on the two you have started thinking about but would also consider the JP-2C as that is one sweet amp but it may be too loud for you. I have been using mine without killing my ears.

I would look at least the three, JP-2C, TC-50 and LoneStar (I have heard some really good videos on this amp). I was looking at the Mesa website and did not know the Lonestar used a Tube Rectifier. That is similar to the Mark V but the power section of the Lonestar is Class A/B. That is cool. Also has EL34 bias switch. I would have a hard time deciding myself what would I get..... it all depends on your passion.

I watched two video's on the Dr Z Remedy, nice amp.

The TC-50 will get you some of that too. It has been a while since I ran the 6V6 in the TC-50 and was planning on doing this along with comparing the two variants of the Mesa 6L6 tubes. What makes your dilemma worse... is the three tube types you can use in the TC-50. EL34 (for more aggressive tone), 6L6 (for a subtle rock tone to heavy punch) and the 6V6 (for a half power amazement, 25W vs 50W with other two tubes). TC-50 has one of the most neutral sounding FX loop, in other words it will not push the input buffers on your effects too hard to too soft. I have used several effects that I have and thought they sounded the best through this amp and that is including the JP-2C. The amp with EL34 on the clean channel is very nice and you do not notice the EL34 tone until you push the gain a bit harder on the clean channel. With drive on and higher gain settings just sings classic rock all the way from Led Zep to ACDC. As it seems the other two channels appear more modern in tone although there is a bit of a learning curve to dialing in Ch2 as it is so easy to push the gain higher. Backing off the gain also sounds great.

the TC-50 is a bit different than the Dr. Z Remedy. Compare the videos on both Mesa and Dr Z amplification web sites and that may help sway you in one direction or the other. One thing to be clear is not to be overwhelmed about it. It sounds like you have GAS in a bad way. The amp is just a tool and nothing more. Perhaps tool is a poor choice of words as it also is an extension of the guitar and an aid for your expression. I bought the TC-50 with no expectations what so ever. I treated it the same way I did with the JP-2C as I did not want to anticipate something the amp is not and just let the out of box experience and trial and error set my way. JP-2C was a big hit but seemed like a two trick pony at first. Quite flexible in range of tone. The TC-50 came after so the bar was set high. I did not like it at first but once I figured out the amp it toped the list on first amp I go too. JP-2C has been sitting in the cold for a while as are the other amps now that I love the TC-50 for what it is.

bandit2013 said:
I watched two video's on the Dr Z Remedy, nice amp.

The TC-50 will get you some of that too. It has been a while since I ran the 6V6 in the TC-50 and was planning on doing this along with comparing the two variants of the Mesa 6L6 tubes. What makes your dilemma worse... is the three tube types you can use in the TC-50. EL34 (for more aggressive tone), 6L6 (for a subtle rock tone to heavy punch) and the 6V6 (for a half power amazement, 25W vs 50W with other two tubes). TC-50 has one of the most neutral sounding FX loop, in other words it will not push the input buffers on your effects too hard to too soft. I have used several effects that I have and thought they sounded the best through this amp and that is including the JP-2C. The amp with EL34 on the clean channel is very nice and you do not notice the EL34 tone until you push the gain a bit harder on the clean channel. With drive on and higher gain settings just sings classic rock all the way from Led Zep to ACDC. As it seems the other two channels appear more modern in tone although there is a bit of a learning curve to dialing in Ch2 as it is so easy to push the gain higher. Backing off the gain also sounds great.

the TC-50 is a bit different than the Dr. Z Remedy. Compare the videos on both Mesa and Dr Z amplification web sites and that may help sway you in one direction or the other. One thing to be clear is not to be overwhelmed about it. It sounds like you have GAS in a bad way. The amp is just a tool and nothing more. Perhaps tool is a poor choice of words as it also is an extension of the guitar and an aid for your expression. I bought the TC-50 with no expectations what so ever. I treated it the same way I did with the JP-2C as I did not want to anticipate something the amp is not and just let the out of box experience and trial and error set my way. JP-2C was a big hit but seemed like a two trick pony at first. Quite flexible in range of tone. The TC-50 came after so the bar was set high. I did not like it at first but once I figured out the amp it toped the list on first amp I go too. JP-2C has been sitting in the cold for a while as are the other amps now that I love the TC-50 for what it is.

How would you describe the 2nd & 3rd channels on the TC-50 and JP-2C, and the differences in them? (sans 5EQ) I've watched videos but I like hearing "real peoples" thoughts on it. So much of the audio from the videos is dependent on the mic and mic placement, I don't fully trust them.

The JP-2C does not really compare to the TC-50. JP is rich and smooth in its tone full of that iconic Mark tone that is sought after and prior to the JP the only way to get it was to buy an overpriced Mark IIC+ due to limited availability. Perhaps there is some of that tone in the TC-50 but the drive sections that generate the distortion of the grind is completely different. If I were to run 6L6 tubes in the TC-50 the differences even get more distant.

This one video sold me on the JP-2C.... and it sounds just like it. I do not understand German but I can hear the amp, when he dials it in...yep it sounds that way....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw7JqGs95qk

They even did one on the TC-50.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesa+boogie+tc-50+review&&view=detail&mid=A67483F11590C34254F2A67483F11590C34254F2&&FORM=VDRVRV

The JP-2C is a re-incarnated IIC+ circuit. It sounds okay without the EQ on channel 2 and 3 however the mids are really abundant and seem to dominate the tone, I could get used to it but some of the detail gets washed out. Perhaps altering the parametric 3 band eq may help but those controls are early in the gain ladder (after first stage). Having that secondary EQ at the end really makes the amp quite versatile. I actually prefer the JP-2C without the EQ vs the Mark V without the EQ. However with the EQ in use you can dial in just about any tone from a Mark 1 sound to just about anything.... Also the tone shaping capabilities of the JP-2C have surpassed the amps before it including the Mark V (even with the 12AT7 in V4), Mark III and the Mark IV.

TC-50 is just perfect and does not require an after distortion tone control (which is what the EQ is). I do have the Mesa 5BEQ pedal and tried it in the loop of the TC-50 and felt it took too much away as the preamp is dialed in with its filtering components on the drive stages. It may help thicken the CH2 a bit.

I basically got married to this amp as I am still on the honeymoon but I am cheating with the TC-50.... The last time I fired up the JP-2C (not too long ago) I had it plugged into the horizontal 212 cab. That was a lasting impression. I still prefer the Vertical 212 for both amps. To me the JP-2C is the pinnacle of the Mesa tone, real deal or the benchmark I have adopted that I have been comparing the other amps too.

I had to get the JP-2C as I was uncertain how long this amp was going to be manufactured. The Mark I (king snake) was basically a Carlos Santana tribute amp and it was only a limited production run. I think the same is true for the TC-50 as it seems that amps of this caliber are not in production for too long either. I feel that there is only one amp in my collection that would have been worthy of a Mesa Custom Hardwood enclosure, that would be the JP-2C. The only drawback, it is extremely loud and does it sound so good. I did need a break and the TC-50 has helped somewhat but that amp is loud too. However both can be dialed back and still sound great but may not comply with bedroom level like the 10W option you have with the Mark V. Well, there is the cab clone that can be used with headphones and run the amp in silent mode.

I can get ACDC and Led Zep to sound good with the JP-2C but will have more of a Mark tone to it. TC-50 is more Brit with the EL34. When I want dirty blues the TC-50 does it with ease, as does the RA100. I can get some zing out of the clean channel on the JP-2C but not the same. CH2 low end on the gain is about the same as the TC-50 CH2 dialed in at 50% I actually like both JP-2C and the TC-50 equally so it would be hard to decide what I could do without. Sometimes I want the heavy tone of the JP and that is all I care about and it can be dialed back too. The JP is strictly a 6L6 amp. There is no bias switch to run EL34s. To be honest, it sounds **** good with the stock 6L6 STR440 tubes.

There is also a difference in white noise between the JP and the TC. No signal and moderate gain settings the TC has more abundant white noise on CH2 and CH3 when compared to the JP. This is an inherent trait of most EL34 based amps I have used. Also present on the RA100. I get white noise on all amps in my arsenal with a high gain setting. I would say the TC and RA are about the same. Could be due to the preamp circuit design and low number of cascaded gain stages compared to a Mark type amp (JP or Mark V) and even the Roadster when I think about it.

Overall tone: JP-2C falls into the dark category and is similar to the Mark V as well as the Roadster whereas the TC-50 and RA100 are on the bright side (not meaning brittle here). Perhaps dark is to sinister as bright is to happy. In other words the JP has a different voice and mood compared to the TC. Both amps are great for what they do.

Latest posts

Back