Speaker Suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_not_Pet

Reaction score
Once I sell my current amp (Dr. Z Remedy), I'm gonna pick up a TC50 but would like to know what speakers sound best with this amp? I have a cab with Greenbacks and one with a G12H30 and a Creamback, both closed. But was planning on getting a Recto 2x12, but I'm just making sure thats the best cab for this amp to really shine.

Only question is, what is the impedance of both cabs? If each is rated for 50W or more, and if they are both 16 ohms, you can easily run the pair of cabs with the TC-50 set to 8 ohm. If they are both 8 ohm cabs, you can run the pair with the output set to 4 ohms or just one cab with the output set to 8. You can run a 16 ohm cab with the output set to 8 ohms (considered a safe miss-match). Note that the TC-50 only has one pair of output jacks and they are wired in parallel. The toggle switch selects which tap is used on the OT (8 or 4) Do not mix a 16 ohm cab with an 8 ohm cab as the TC-50 does not offer the OT taps individually like some other Mesa amps do. There is a section in the TC-50 download manual that references the speaker impedance loads. First time I looked at it and discovered they made this part of the manual amp specific and not general like you find in the other manuals.

If your cabs are rated for less than 50W, I would suggest getting a pair of the Mesa 6V6 tubes as this will bring the output power down to 25W. If an when you decide to make a change in the speaker cab, the 6V6 works excellent with the other cabinet options too (212).

I have found the TC-50 works well with different speakers. EVM12L, Crème Back G12H75. It is okay with the Celection Red Back, MC90, and a bit too vintage sounding with the Crème Alnico 90W.

The Vert 212 will sound deep and bold with full balance of tone. It is an amazing little cab that I actually like over the OS Recto 412. The only issue I have with the Vertical 212 is I only have one and have to share it with the JP-2C and the TC-50. Not a problem as I also have the horizontal 212 too (basically sounds the same). For some reason the 412 cabs with V30 seem to add a bit more top end and not as much bottom (it is there but not as impressive as the 212 cabs).

I have an old 4x12 is slant recto cab that I wired in stereo so it's basically 2 2x12's. I did an X pattern. First group was a Mesa celestion vintage 30 and an eminence cannibis Rex. Second pair are a wgs veteran 30 and a wgs et-65. Both pairs sound great although I am preferring the wgs pair over the v30 CR pair. Open and articulate and still maintains all the dynamics you could ask for. On high gain channel 3 I can play very complex chords and every note is audible and clear. Same goes for the v30 CR pair but has a slightly muddier midrange but nothing to write home about both are great pairs. All 4 together is a match made for this amp by the guitar gods themselves.

Back