TC50 vs Mark V 35

Discussion area for the new TC50

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Gl4th
Bottle Rocket

Re: TC50 vs Mark V 35

Post by Gl4th » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:43 am

I don’t want to be misunderstood, TC50 is a great amp and for shure people who just got it will say it is perfect or something like that.

I’m just saying, copy/past what at Mesa say, that it is British voiced, so far from the classical Mesa tone. I’m not sure that if I was into that kind of tone I’ll serarch a Mesa, but someone may prefer it that way, so it’s ok if you are happy.
MESA/Boogie® Mark V:35

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Post by bandit2013 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 am

The Mark series amps are great instruments and each has its own characteristics, going back to a Mark I and through its evolution to the latest Mark V in the 90W Simul-Class power amp. The Mark V:25 and Mark V:35 may have some common traits to the Mark series in some respects. The only difference is the EL84 power amp. Perhaps that is the break from its traditional roots into something a bit different. I have not had the opportunity to play through one of the EL84 powered amps yet. They sound great in the videos and other recordings. You do know that the EL84 is a British tube? This tube is the life of VOX which was made in England. Developed by Mullard in 1953. The EL84 was the original British voice tube of choice during the early 1960's. What really defines the British voice from say American is basically in the tone stack and gain circuits of the preamp but the power tubes also aid in that distinction.

As for the TC-50, it is Mesa's attempt to regain some ground in the British Voiced arena. Perhaps this all started back with the Stiletto series of amps but those were basically a mesh of British voiced Rectifier amps. Sure they were different in preamp design than the Rectifier series and some were better than others like the Stiletto Ace combo amp. The list goes on but I am not all to familiar with the history of the evolution of all mesa products. I was basically a Mark series follower for some 28 years since my first amp was a Mark III combo (blue stripe), the Mark IV combo followed in the year 2000. The Electra Dyne had its debut long before I got back into the market for buying another amp. Not sure if this was a spin off of the Lone Star or vice versa. My first experience with a Class A/B amp was with the RA100 which did spawn from the Electra Dyne to some extent. Another British voiced amp with a bit of Mark series tone hidden in the vintage hi gain channel. That was actually a big hit with me. I did jump camp and got a Roadster and still have it. Quite different than a Mark series amp in its own way. It has some heritage from the Mark III but yet different since the Rectifier amps were a new thing back in the 1990's. I did not care much for them at that time. What is cool about the Roadster, it has some of the characteristics that redefined the Mesa sound and a bit more of what separates the amp from the rest. Back to the TC-50, it is basically a reincarnated RA100 with some modern features and retuned circuits. Similar but different. It is also becoming the new Recto but has no tube rectification. It definitely bridges the gap between the Rectifier series and the Mark series and blends in some features of British voice that sets itself apart from the rest.

I would not say one is better than the other. They are all great amps to have. Nothing wrong with having both (TC-50 and Mark v:35) I personally do not have any issues with the TC-50, JP-2C, Roadster, RA100 and the Mark V (90W) all under one roof. Then again I do not just play one style of music so having a flexible pallet in which to choose from seems to work for me. Mix it up and blend the two together. TC-50 sounds great blended with the Mark V. Once you cross that path of blending amps (running them in parallel each driving their own speakers) it becomes a game changer in some respects and the tone possibilities is almost endless.

To pit the V:35 against the TC-50 would be complicated. Pros and cons may work out if you need to do such. I can think of a few cons on an EL84 based amp and one being it can only used EL84 tubes or its variants which are the same tube basically (6BQ5, 7189, 6P15, CV2975 or SV83). TC-50 changes the power tube choice to a pro as it can use three different types of power tubes, EL34 (and its variants such as KT77, 6CA7, EL34B, EL34L), 6L6GC (and its variants: 5881, 7581, 7027), and a surprise of the 6V6 (may be able to use 5871? but since they are out of production best to stick with the 6V6). Each power tube provides a different tone to some degree. Preamp tubes would be the same for both amps. TC-50 is probably the first amp I did not want to tweak with change in preamp tubes. One reason why I have an RA100 and now the TC-50 is that the Mark V did not effectively provide the tonal characteristics I needed for classic rock. Actually they both do a great job on the heavy stuff too, TC-50 is a bit better at it than the RA100. Clean channels on the TC-50 are quite respecable. Almost Fender clean unless driven hard. As far as versatility is concerned the TC-50 can do a wide range of styles with its three unique channels.

You asked and I answered, or at least tried to answer..... TC50 vs Mark V 35. Each are different in their own way. What is it you want exaclty?

As for the 12AT7 tube, the saturation mod was primarily intended for the Mark V 90W in hopes to cure the amp from brittleness associated with CH3. Some of the brittle tone may be attributed to the tone stack for that channel but is overly enhanced with the secondary gain stage of the driver circuit. How this came into use for the Mark V variants (25 or 35) was a simple comment that was stated based on the tube task chart in the user manual to point out what circuit would be similar to the big V. Since that tube position is shared by both channels, the side effect may not be desired. Perhaps a better alternative to a 12AT7 would be a long plate 12AX7 tube (like the Mullard 12AX7 reissue) used in the V1 position as this may enhance the tone of the amp since the tone stack should be between V1A and V1B. However, the 25/35 variants are as tight as the TC-50 and the JP-2C, it probably will not make any difference. I only see a benefit for using the 12AT7 in the larger (original version) Mark V. It works well for the V4 position of the 90W version.

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Post by bandit2013 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 pm

I have finally gotten around to viewing some of Mesa's videos on the Mark V:35. I thought the amp sounds great in all respects. And it sounds nothing like a Fender so where does that put the amp in the American/British spectrum? Actually from what I heard in the video's, they could have easily passed the Mark V:35 off as the mini Jp-2C as it does share some common ground in its tonal character. Definitely a different animal than the Mark V 90W version. If you cannot experience the two amps side by side, one alternative is to find a resource that has made their own video demonstration of the amps in question. That way you loose the polish and production studio recording that may be tailored to suit the hype of the new amp in question. Sweetwater does have some good and reasonable demonstrations of both which is a very close example of the real deal once you get it. I have the TC-50 and it is nearly spot on to the real deal experience. If that is the case for the Mark V:35, that is one sweet amp. The TC-50 is also a good investment too.

For your reference:
Sweetwater video on the Mark V:35
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sw ... ORM=VRDGAR

Sweetwater video on the TC-50.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sw ... ORM=VRDGAR

I would not use that as all there is to go by. There may be other demos that may have more value to you based on what is recorded, style of music or settings used by the demonstrator. There is one resource that usually inspires me based on how the demonstrator tweaks the controls. It may be in German but I can hear the amp in a different perspective.
TC-50:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=se ... ORM=VRDGAR
Mark V:35
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ma ... ORM=VRDGAR

By now, there are tones of videos out there. So far, I like both the V:35 and the TC-50, now that I am hearing a different perspective on each amp.

Gl4th
Bottle Rocket

Post by Gl4th » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:39 am

Here is a clear A/B test: https://youtu.be/6mFIddmQ9aM
They made part 2 of the video without extra tracks, just guitar.

I still prefer the MV:35.
MESA/Boogie® Mark V:35

afu
Mark IV

Post by afu » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:48 pm

The JP-2C is like '80s Metallica, early Dream Theater and Santana. The V35 can do that, plus the Black Album and Lamb Of God. That extra 5-band EQ is pretty sick, though.
2007 3 Channel Dual Recto w/loop mod

My Humble Music Tech Blog:
Dual Rectifier Index

RobbieBoyette
Bottle Rocket

Post by RobbieBoyette » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 am

Gl4th wrote:Here is a clear A/B test: https://youtu.be/6mFIddmQ9aM
They made part 2 of the video without extra tracks, just guitar.

I still prefer the MV:35.
I think that number one...the stuff he was playing wasn't really that good to show off a Boogie amp. I'd have loved to hear some long sustained notes that let the harmonics feedback, etc. Maybe some "Freeway Jam" by Jeff Beck type licks.

So since there was no real solid AC/DC-like rock chords or hot lead licks on that video I have to judge by what I heard.
Both amps sounded pretty good to me. The MK 5 seemed to have a little bit of fizziness in the high end while the TC-50 was more focused.

Which is pretty much why I bought the TC-50. :)

I wouldn't shy away from either amp though. The MK 5 sounded great to me, I just think the TC-50 cuts through the mix slightly better and more musically focused.
-Robbie
Current Amp: 2018 Mesa TC-50 Rackmount

Past Boogies:
1982 Mesa Boogie MK II (ordered it from the company brand new)
1989 Mesa Studio Preamp and Simulclass 290 Power Amp (also direct order from the company along with the Mesa shock mount rack)