TC-50 and Celection Creme 90W Alnico

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
After I installed the Celestion Crème 90W Alnico speaker back into my Mark V combo I was considering changing back to EV speaker or the MC90 but had a change of mindset not to make a change. If I do, I need to run the TC-50 though it first. Note that the speaker cable is not long enough to reach too far beyond the chassis, I have made a speaker cable coupler to extend the length of the reach. I did this for use with a recording attenuator reactive load box so I could use it with the combo amps as well as the head and cabinet. It serves other purpose too such as trying a different amp with the combo speaker.

As much as I love the Celestion Crème 90W speaker with the Mark V , and as much as I love the TC-50, it did not seem to be a great match to pair the TC-50 with the Celestion Crème 90W Alnico speaker. However for a single speaker used with the TC-50 it was not bad by any means. If you like the vintage voiced speaker then go for it. To me that would be a short marriage since I really love the TC-50 though the Mesa Vertical 212 cab. Perhaps the bottom line is the tone of the amp was not beefy enough to drive the speaker to its full potential like the Mark V can do. It may have something to do with the midrange band. If it blew me away I would be raving about it. It is as it is, some speakers sound awesome with some amps but not always the same with different amps.

The Mesa Vertical 212 has got to be the best sounding cabinet I have yet to hear. Perfect for the TC-50, JP-2C, Mark V. Not ideal for the RA100 head as it does not sit all that well on top (go for the Horizontal 212 for that big amp, same for the Rectifier heads unless you have the mini or the rectoverb).

for an open back format, the Cream Back G12H75 may be a better fit as it is similar to the V30 but lacks the fizzy tone (V30 sound best in sealed enclosure ).

Latest posts

Back