The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 62
The TC-50 is amazing. Such a fantastic and versatile amp. I love its cleans in channel 1, its crunch in channel 2, and its high gain in channel 3.

I put some 6L6s in it just to see how I like them. They're awesome but I don't know that they're more awesome than the EL-34s. I'll swap back and forth a few times to see which I prefer.

Also, I just put together a "traditional" pedal board (as opposed to using my Fractal FX8 which I love). The pedals include a Precision Drive and an MXR 6-band EQ (and a bunch of other stuff). The EQ is last in the loop and it adds so much. I also have the Mesa 5-band EQ but I like the look of the MXR better (yeah I'm superficial like that). I like the EQ with all 3 channels.

The Precision Drive definitely tightens things up. It also seems to add quite a bit of brightness. A bit too much with the brightness knob at noon for me at home, so I dialed that back to about 9:30.

The more I use the TC-50 the more I love it.

P.S. No sound samples. Trust me, you don't want to hear me play. :)

_________________
TC-50
Invective


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 62
After swapping the EL-34s back in for about half an hour I immediately switched back to the 6L6s. They seem to fit my ear better. I'd say the TC-50 feels more like what I'm used to this way. By that I mean it loses a little of its unique character and the tones feel more familiar without being exactly like anything else.

The clean/normal mode is a chimey, crystal clean. The clean/drive mode feels a bit like a Fender clean when set to medium gain just on the edge of break up. This is my favorite way to set the clean channel right now. After further review, I prefer this channel without the MXR EQ.

The 2nd channel, LO/normal, kind of reminds me of channel 1/crunch on the Mark 5:25. Not exactly, but in that ballpark. That's great because that's my favorite mode on the 5:25. I wish I could use the 5:25's Fat and Crunch modes at the same time. The TC-50 cleans up well on this mode when rolling back the volume on the guitar or via a volume pedal. I like the Precision Drive on and the EQ engaged in pretty much the classic V on this channel. However, the Precision Drive seems to accentuate the high end quite a bit. This may not be an issue if I was playing out somewhere but I only play at home and sitting right in front of the vertical 2x12, those highs can really bite.

The HI channel, I prefer set to tight. It kind of reminds me of higher gain settings on my old Dual Rec Tremoverb. This channel has a crazy amount of gain and I think anything higher than about 1:00 seems a bit much for me, at least with humbuckers. Again, I like the OD and EQ working on this channel.

Such a great amp. I'm really digging it.

_________________
TC-50
Invective


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:01 am 
Offline
Mark I

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 pm
Posts: 38
Thanks for the posts on this amp. I'm on the fence between a TC-50, JP2c or Mark V . My main sound now is a Marshall JVM with an MXR EQ v shape scooped setting in the loop. Sounds so brutal- but I've also been digging my Mark V 35's dynamic tone. The TC-50 seems like it might be a blend of those tones and Ive always liked the tight bass response of EL34's. I'm curious, with the EQ v shaped through the loop on channel 3, how does it sound in terms of thrash metal or Groove metal Pantera type tones?

_________________
Mesa Mark V35 - Mesa TC-100 (on the way) - Marshall JVM410 - H&K Grandmeister 36 - ENGL Ironball - Blackstar TVP60
Mesa 2x12 Vertical - Mesa 2x12 Horizontal - Mesa 4x12 Straight - Mesa 4x12 Slant
Dean/ESP/Gibson/Fender Guitars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 62
Joshwah333 wrote:
Thanks for the posts on this amp. I'm on the fence between a TC-50, JP2c or Mark V . My main sound now is a Marshall JVM with an MXR EQ v shape scooped setting in the loop. Sounds so brutal- but I've also been digging my Mark V 35's dynamic tone. The TC-50 seems like it might be a blend of those tones and Ive always liked the tight bass response of EL34's. I'm curious, with the EQ v shaped through the loop on channel 3, how does it sound in terms of thrash metal or Groove metal Pantera type tones?


I'm not really sure to be honest but I have a hard time believing it couldn't nail those tones on its own, but especially with the EQ. Insanely versatile amp.

_________________
TC-50
Invective


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 pm 
Offline
Dual Recto

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:31 am
Posts: 2656
Location: North Carolina
What 6L6 tube are you using? If you are using the Mesa 6L6GC STR440, I would recommend the Mesa 5881 STR425 as a better option.
I like both 6L6 and the EL34, but the 6V6 is very sweet. TC-50 took me a while to get used too, the Stock EL34 need some burn in time and they open up.

As for the JP-2C, dang is that a fun amp to play. Out of Box love affair for me anyways.

for me the Mark V was the hardest amp to bond with, I bought mine in 2012 and now I finally got it where I want it.


Choosing which one to get is the hard thing to do....

_________________
Current amps:
TC-50, JP-2C, MK V, Roadster, RA100
Old friends I sometimes miss:
Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm 
Offline
Mark I

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 pm
Posts: 38
Mine just came in yesterday - only had about 1 hour to give it a test drive. To be clear, I'm a metal player.

My initial thoughts are that I may decide to trade it in for a JPC Mark II+. Almost had buyer's remorse to be honest.

I also felt that the 50 watt power section was not much different from the 35 watt power section of my Mark V 35.

I was not really impressed with any of the tones - I felt like I could duplicate them on my Mark V35 fairly easily.

The gain channel doesn't really have enough bass - I have to max it out to get that thump I love. It's fine with a Graphic EQ (classic V Curve) in the loop, but I was hoping not to use it on this amp. It also sounds really midrange punchy. It gets better on Normal mode, but I like presence/treble cut through on Tight mode. Would've been great if they had a knob that combined the 2 sounds similar to the Blackstar ISF.

I'm going to try some 6L6's tonight and give it some more time. I know the tubes are new and probably need some play time.

But......maybe I'm just a player that prefers Mark tones?

I was really excited about this amp as I love my Marshall JVM with EL34's and was hoping this would be a Mesa'fied Marshall tone.

Sweetwater has a great return policy so I'm not too worried about that aspect.

I'll give it some more time and go from there.

_________________
Mesa Mark V35 - Mesa TC-100 (on the way) - Marshall JVM410 - H&K Grandmeister 36 - ENGL Ironball - Blackstar TVP60
Mesa 2x12 Vertical - Mesa 2x12 Horizontal - Mesa 4x12 Straight - Mesa 4x12 Slant
Dean/ESP/Gibson/Fender Guitars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:52 pm 
Offline
Bottle Rocket

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 pm
Posts: 3
The tc50 sounds closer to the royal atlantic but has rectifier and mark tones in it. Its more hazy and raw sounding compared to the mark series more prestine tone. Marks have more inherent mids in them and seem stiffer to me. Their both tight but neither has the low end of a rectifier. The mark v 25 i had was thinner sounding than the tc50. The jp2c even more so from what i can hear. Honestly I dont now why some people want more low end from the tc50, it has plenty. I can get better blues tones and on edge breakup then I could with the markv 25. But if your just a metal player the jp2c probably would have been a better option. Though the tc50 is definitely geared towards rock and metal players and rightly so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
Mark I

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 pm
Posts: 38
So I have to eat some crow – I jumped the gun on my initial review of the TC-50 and absolutely should’ve given it more time. I’ve heard that you need to give this amp time to blossom anyway, so I’m probably not alone on my initial impressions.

I had about 4 hours play time last night and tried various guitars: ESP LTD Eclipse with EMG 81’s, Dean Dimebag Razorback Rust with Dimebucker/DMT Pickups, 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio with 498/490’s, and a Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe 2016 with N3 Noiseless Single Coils. All played through a Mesa vertical 2x12.

This amp can do it all – but Deadpool_25 is correct – the MXR EQ in the loop is key. In fact, I’m finding most of his observations are correct. I’m also using a pedalboard setup via the 4CM, but I do not favor an OD in front of the amp – I prefer to get most overdriven tones from the amp.

I think Mesa’s next step in this series could be a 100 watt model with the addition of a 5 band EQ – selectable per channel.

I was pleasantly surprised that the EQ didn’t require the extreme V curve I typically set though. I only bumped up the bass frequencies slightly, reduced the upper and lower mids to -6db and added a little bit of high frequencies. The only time I didn’t like the EQ was in some cases with the clean channel, particularly with a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio (not needed with these high output pickups). However, with a 2016 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (N3 Noiseless Single Coils), it really gave it some body. I was actually able to get the Strat to give a decent metal tone using the S1 switching system.

As far as my claim that I could duplicate the tones from the TC-50 and Mark V35 – cleans and overdriven tones are near possible, but the TC-50 has a much better and more diverse palette in the crunch realm.

Another original observation is that the power difference between the Mark V35 and TC-50 doesn’t seem like much. Both are plenty loud, and in the same realm as far as punch. Perhaps the 6L6’s will change that. I look forward to trying them in the power section tonight. I wanted to give the EL34’s some more play time last night.

I think this amp will remain in my arsenal and I’ll just add a JPIIC+ later on down the line. I ordered a Helix today to use with the TC-50. Look forward to learning about midi – my first time with this type of setup.

_________________
Mesa Mark V35 - Mesa TC-100 (on the way) - Marshall JVM410 - H&K Grandmeister 36 - ENGL Ironball - Blackstar TVP60
Mesa 2x12 Vertical - Mesa 2x12 Horizontal - Mesa 4x12 Straight - Mesa 4x12 Slant
Dean/ESP/Gibson/Fender Guitars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:13 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 62
bandit2013 wrote:
What 6L6 tube are you using? If you are using the Mesa 6L6GC STR440, I would recommend the Mesa 5881 STR425 as a better option.
I like both 6L6 and the EL34, but the 6V6 is very sweet. TC-50 took me a while to get used too, the Stock EL34 need some burn in time and they open up.

As for the JP-2C, dang is that a fun amp to play. Out of Box love affair for me anyways.

for me the Mark V was the hardest amp to bond with, I bought mine in 2012 and now I finally got it where I want it.


Choosing which one to get is the hard thing to do....


Oops. Sorry to neglect my own thread!

I was using the Mesa 6L6s. I put the 6V6s in and wow...even better. At least at medium volumes. I actually did play with the volume almost as high as it would go with the 6V6s and it sounded fantastic. Max volume was about 104db (measured with audio control app on iPhone).

_________________
TC-50
Invective


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:22 am 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 62
Joshwah333 wrote:
So I have to eat some crow – I jumped the gun on my initial review of the TC-50 and absolutely should’ve given it more time. I’ve heard that you need to give this amp time to blossom anyway, so I’m probably not alone on my initial impressions.

I had about 4 hours play time last night and tried various guitars: ESP LTD Eclipse with EMG 81’s, Dean Dimebag Razorback Rust with Dimebucker/DMT Pickups, 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio with 498/490’s, and a Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe 2016 with N3 Noiseless Single Coils. All played through a Mesa vertical 2x12.

This amp can do it all – but Deadpool_25 is correct – the MXR EQ in the loop is key. In fact, I’m finding most of his observations are correct. I’m also using a pedalboard setup via the 4CM, but I do not favor an OD in front of the amp – I prefer to get most overdriven tones from the amp.

I think Mesa’s next step in this series could be a 100 watt model with the addition of a 5 band EQ – selectable per channel.

I was pleasantly surprised that the EQ didn’t require the extreme V curve I typically set though. I only bumped up the bass frequencies slightly, reduced the upper and lower mids to -6db and added a little bit of high frequencies. The only time I didn’t like the EQ was in some cases with the clean channel, particularly with a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio (not needed with these high output pickups). However, with a 2016 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (N3 Noiseless Single Coils), it really gave it some body. I was actually able to get the Strat to give a decent metal tone using the S1 switching system.

As far as my claim that I could duplicate the tones from the TC-50 and Mark V35 – cleans and overdriven tones are near possible, but the TC-50 has a much better and more diverse palette in the crunch realm.

Another original observation is that the power difference between the Mark V35 and TC-50 doesn’t seem like much. Both are plenty loud, and in the same realm as far as punch. Perhaps the 6L6’s will change that. I look forward to trying them in the power section tonight. I wanted to give the EL34’s some more play time last night.

I think this amp will remain in my arsenal and I’ll just add a JPIIC+ later on down the line. I ordered a Helix today to use with the TC-50. Look forward to learning about midi – my first time with this type of setup.


Glad to hear you're getting along with the TC-50. I'm still loving mine. Like I said above, I think it sounds best with the 6V6s. It definitely loses some clean headroom at 25 watts though. I'm STILL working on my FX8 pedalboard and moved to a stripped down pedalboard for now. The MXR EQ is out of the mix for a bit, but the amp still sounds fantastic without it.

Enjoy the Helix. Before I pulled the rig apart to rebuild the pedalboard, I found the FX8 and TC-50 to play very well together in 4CM + MIDI. I really need to get that pedalboard done soon. Maybe I'll have it done by the time the other half of my stereo rig arrives (Peavey Invective).

_________________
TC-50
Invective


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:00 pm 
Offline
Mark I

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 pm
Posts: 38
Deadpool_25 wrote:
Glad to hear you're getting along with the TC-50. I'm still loving mine. Like I said above, I think it sounds best with the 6V6s. It definitely loses some clean headroom at 25 watts though. I'm STILL working on my FX8 pedalboard and moved to a stripped down pedalboard for now. The MXR EQ is out of the mix for a bit, but the amp still sounds fantastic without it.

Enjoy the Helix. Before I pulled the rig apart to rebuild the pedalboard, I found the FX8 and TC-50 to play very well together in 4CM + MIDI. I really need to get that pedalboard done soon. Maybe I'll have it done by the time the other half of my stereo rig arrives (Peavey Invective).


I wrestled with the decision of an FX8 vs. the Helix. Hope I don't regret the Helix.

Let us know how that Invective sounds - it looks killer!!

What pedals will be on your pedal board?

_________________
Mesa Mark V35 - Mesa TC-100 (on the way) - Marshall JVM410 - H&K Grandmeister 36 - ENGL Ironball - Blackstar TVP60
Mesa 2x12 Vertical - Mesa 2x12 Horizontal - Mesa 4x12 Straight - Mesa 4x12 Slant
Dean/ESP/Gibson/Fender Guitars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:21 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 62
Joshwah333 wrote:

I wrestled with the decision of an FX8 vs. the Helix. Hope I don't regret the Helix.

Let us know how that Invective sounds - it looks killer!!

What pedals will be on your pedal board?


The Helix will be great I'm sure. If I'm very lucky, the Invective will be here next week. We shall see.

The board will be

- Digitech Drop
- FX8
- Strymon BigSky
- TC Ditto
- Morningstar MC6 MIDI Controller
- Fractal EV-2 pedals (2; expression and volume)

The Ditto is simpler and I think does detuning better than the FX8. The BigSky is great and can move some processing off board to save some FX8 CPU power. The Ditto is because with the BigSky coming after the FX8, I wouldn't have been able to include it in my loops if I used the FX8's looper. The Morningstar will be controlling both amps, the FX8, and the BigSky as needed.

_________________
TC-50
Invective


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline
Mark I

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 pm
Posts: 38
That's gonna be a wicked set up on your pedalboard. Good move on the Strymon Big Sky and conserving CPU power on the FX8.

Helix just arrived today - time to get learnin!

_________________
Mesa Mark V35 - Mesa TC-100 (on the way) - Marshall JVM410 - H&K Grandmeister 36 - ENGL Ironball - Blackstar TVP60
Mesa 2x12 Vertical - Mesa 2x12 Horizontal - Mesa 4x12 Straight - Mesa 4x12 Slant
Dean/ESP/Gibson/Fender Guitars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:57 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 62
Joshwah333 wrote:
That's gonna be a wicked set up on your pedalboard. Good move on the Strymon Big Sky and conserving CPU power on the FX8.

Helix just arrived today - time to get learnin!


Nice. Enjoy that Helix. It’s a very good unit from what I understand.

I completely reworked my rig plan. I decided I’d go with a more traditional board, but still with MIDI control. The FX8 got sold. I put the EL-34s back in the TC-50 which will be run in stereo with the Invective.

In front will be: Mobius, Precision Drive, Riverside
In loops will be: El Cap, Dig, BigSky, EQ (one for each amp), Ditto

I may or may not put a few other things on the board: Drop, a compressor, TC Mimiq, noise gate(s) in fx loops.

_________________
TC-50
Invective


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:11 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm
Posts: 85
http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electr ... index.html

I will be buying this for me, this thread has me 90% convinced to get one and the willie adler statement is the other 10%

_________________
Mark V, Mk III blue stripe combo Organic Timbre speaker, JP-2c, Triple Rectifier (reborn multiwatt)
Marshall 1960 full stack, 2 Mesa vertical 2x12, 1 Mesa thiele with EVM 12l black label.
LTD EC-1000x3
Schecter Hellraiser
1984 Gibson Explorer


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group