The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:56 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:51 am
Posts: 117
thediavlo wrote:
http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/triple-crown-series/triple-crown-tc-100/index.html

I will be buying this for me, this thread has me 90% convinced to get one and the willie adler statement is the other 10%


Ηahaha I figured this was coming..as did others on this board. The 100W Triple Crown.

The power soak thing is interesting. Does Mesa do this on any other amps? I’ve wondered why it wasn’t done before? Does it suffer from a bit of tone suck when you crank the tubes but only put some of that power through the speakers?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 62
thediavlo wrote:
http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/triple-crown-series/triple-crown-tc-100/index.html

I will be buying this for me, this thread has me 90% convinced to get one and the willie adler statement is the other 10%


Oh wow. They did do it! Cool. The power soak thing sounds cool. Good thing it doesn’t have any features I really feel like I need, and I don’t need the extra power. That’s awesome though.

_________________
TC-50
Invective


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:23 am 
Offline
Dual Recto

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:31 am
Posts: 2658
Location: North Carolina
mace wrote:
thediavlo wrote:
http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/triple-crown-series/triple-crown-tc-100/index.html

I will be buying this for me, this thread has me 90% convinced to get one and the willie adler statement is the other 10%


Ηahaha I figured this was coming..as did others on this board. The 100W Triple Crown.

The power soak thing is interesting. Does Mesa do this on any other amps? I’ve wondered why it wasn’t done before? Does it suffer from a bit of tone suck when you crank the tubes but only put some of that power through the speakers?


The Multi-soak feature first appeared on the Royal Atlantic 100W amp ( I believe, it came out in 2010 ). However the feature on the RA was placed on the rear of the amp with the selectors for each channel, also had a mini toggle on the front panel to turn it on or off. Included in this scheme of power attenuation the RA100 had a two speed fan to keep things cool, high speed recommended but low speed or off could be used for recording purposes. This design has its own patent so it makes sense to keep the tech in production. the RA100 does have more sag than the TC-50 so I would assume that the power supply was revamped in the TC-100. Also the plate voltage of the RA100 is in the 400V range where as the TC-50 runs about 450V. I do use the multi-soak a lot with the RA100 but usually at -4db (75W power mode) when using the clean channel and the gain maxed out. That sounds awesome as it really makes the distortion sound more 3D like. My favorite tubes for the RA100 would be the SED =C= EL34 in the head, Mullard reissue EL34's in the combo (I have both actually). Unfortunate for use RA100 owners is that we cannot take advantage of the 6V6 tube due to the power supply. That would be cool to run a quad of 6V6 tubes as you can do such in the TC-100 (as they claim). It appears that the multi-soak cannot be turned off with the exception of using the 100W setting. Also I did not see a half power switch on the TC-100 so I would assume that you need to use the multi-soak for the 50W setting. The attenuator does place a burden on power tubes, the more aggressive setting (lower wattage) the harder it is on the tubes. My preference with the RA100 would be to turn it on at 50W vs 100W which does turn off a pair of power tubes, note that it is not as loud as the TC-50 at the 50W setting (reference to the RA100 set to run 50W). I would not say it does tone suck but more of a volume suck. Using the multi-soak on the RA100 allows you to run the amp in its sweet spot and really drives the power tubes into saturation, generally when I do use it I push the master volumes on the HI and LO gain channels. Having this in the TC-100 with separate controls for each channel would be more ideal. In reference to the TC-50 the CH3 (HI gain) is a bit more aggressive and much tighter than the RA100 hi gain channel. I still like my RA100's so I probably will not upgrade to the TC-100 unless I trade in my TC-50. So far I like the TC-50 in all aspects including the FX loop (I have no tone issues or volume problems like some have reported, but I am also using some good effects that seem to be compliant with the TC-50 and the Mark V, JP-2C, Roadster as well as the RA100). One thing I have not tried in the TC-50 is the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 as it has a warmer tone to it than say the Mesa 12AT7 (Chinese tube) which is very bright. I actually have a preference for the NOS 12AT7 in the RA100 as it warms up the Lo gain channel. I am sort of fixed on the RA100 (at least the head) and I could sell off or trade in the RA100 combo but that amp is also fun to play though (running Celestion G12H75 Creambacks in it which takes away the fizz that you get with V30 in an open cab format). In relation to the RA100 head, the combo sounds identical when run through the same cabinet. Will have to run a stereo setup with the two I have. They also blend quite well with the TC-50 so I am not hard up on getting the TC-100. However it is tempting as it is the same size as the TC-50, just weighs a few pounds more. I would rather pick that up and transport to a gig than either of the RA100's, besides, the RA100 will not fit on top of the Vertical 212 as it barely fits on top of the OS Recto 412. Head of the RA100 weighs as much as the Vertical 212 cab, as for the RA100 combo that thing weighs about the same as the OS Recto 412 cab. Your roadies will hate you for choosing the RA100 as it is heavy relative to the TC-50.

_________________
Current amps:
TC-50, JP-2C, MK V, Roadster, RA100
Old friends I sometimes miss:
Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group