TC-50 with 6L6s, Precision Drive, MXR EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
The TC-50 is amazing. Such a fantastic and versatile amp. I love its cleans in channel 1, its crunch in channel 2, and its high gain in channel 3.

I put some 6L6s in it just to see how I like them. They're awesome but I don't know that they're more awesome than the EL-34s. I'll swap back and forth a few times to see which I prefer.

Also, I just put together a "traditional" pedal board (as opposed to using my Fractal FX8 which I love). The pedals include a Precision Drive and an MXR 6-band EQ (and a bunch of other stuff). The EQ is last in the loop and it adds so much. I also have the Mesa 5-band EQ but I like the look of the MXR better (yeah I'm superficial like that). I like the EQ with all 3 channels.

The Precision Drive definitely tightens things up. It also seems to add quite a bit of brightness. A bit too much with the brightness knob at noon for me at home, so I dialed that back to about 9:30.

The more I use the TC-50 the more I love it.

P.S. No sound samples. Trust me, you don't want to hear me play. :)

After swapping the EL-34s back in for about half an hour I immediately switched back to the 6L6s. They seem to fit my ear better. I'd say the TC-50 feels more like what I'm used to this way. By that I mean it loses a little of its unique character and the tones feel more familiar without being exactly like anything else.

The clean/normal mode is a chimey, crystal clean. The clean/drive mode feels a bit like a Fender clean when set to medium gain just on the edge of break up. This is my favorite way to set the clean channel right now. After further review, I prefer this channel without the MXR EQ.

The 2nd channel, LO/normal, kind of reminds me of channel 1/crunch on the Mark 5:25. Not exactly, but in that ballpark. That's great because that's my favorite mode on the 5:25. I wish I could use the 5:25's Fat and Crunch modes at the same time. The TC-50 cleans up well on this mode when rolling back the volume on the guitar or via a volume pedal. I like the Precision Drive on and the EQ engaged in pretty much the classic V on this channel. However, the Precision Drive seems to accentuate the high end quite a bit. This may not be an issue if I was playing out somewhere but I only play at home and sitting right in front of the vertical 2x12, those highs can really bite.

The HI channel, I prefer set to tight. It kind of reminds me of higher gain settings on my old Dual Rec Tremoverb. This channel has a crazy amount of gain and I think anything higher than about 1:00 seems a bit much for me, at least with humbuckers. Again, I like the OD and EQ working on this channel.

Such a great amp. I'm really digging it.

Thanks for the posts on this amp. I'm on the fence between a TC-50, JP2c or Mark V . My main sound now is a Marshall JVM with an MXR EQ v shape scooped setting in the loop. Sounds so brutal- but I've also been digging my Mark V 35's dynamic tone. The TC-50 seems like it might be a blend of those tones and Ive always liked the tight bass response of EL34's. I'm curious, with the EQ v shaped through the loop on channel 3, how does it sound in terms of thrash metal or Groove metal Pantera type tones?

Joshwah333 said:
Thanks for the posts on this amp. I'm on the fence between a TC-50, JP2c or Mark V . My main sound now is a Marshall JVM with an MXR EQ v shape scooped setting in the loop. Sounds so brutal- but I've also been digging my Mark V 35's dynamic tone. The TC-50 seems like it might be a blend of those tones and Ive always liked the tight bass response of EL34's. I'm curious, with the EQ v shaped through the loop on channel 3, how does it sound in terms of thrash metal or Groove metal Pantera type tones?

I'm not really sure to be honest but I have a hard time believing it couldn't nail those tones on its own, but especially with the EQ. Insanely versatile amp.

What 6L6 tube are you using? If you are using the Mesa 6L6GC STR440, I would recommend the Mesa 5881 STR425 as a better option.
I like both 6L6 and the EL34, but the 6V6 is very sweet. TC-50 took me a while to get used too, the Stock EL34 need some burn in time and they open up.

As for the JP-2C, dang is that a fun amp to play. Out of Box love affair for me anyways.

for me the Mark V was the hardest amp to bond with, I bought mine in 2012 and now I finally got it where I want it.

Choosing which one to get is the hard thing to do....

Mine just came in yesterday - only had about 1 hour to give it a test drive. To be clear, I'm a metal player.

My initial thoughts are that I may decide to trade it in for a JPC Mark II+. Almost had buyer's remorse to be honest.

I also felt that the 50 watt power section was not much different from the 35 watt power section of my Mark V 35.

I was not really impressed with any of the tones - I felt like I could duplicate them on my Mark V35 fairly easily.

The gain channel doesn't really have enough bass - I have to max it out to get that thump I love. It's fine with a Graphic EQ (classic V Curve) in the loop, but I was hoping not to use it on this amp. It also sounds really midrange punchy. It gets better on Normal mode, but I like presence/treble cut through on Tight mode. Would've been great if they had a knob that combined the 2 sounds similar to the Blackstar ISF.

I'm going to try some 6L6's tonight and give it some more time. I know the tubes are new and probably need some play time.

But......maybe I'm just a player that prefers Mark tones?

I was really excited about this amp as I love my Marshall JVM with EL34's and was hoping this would be a Mesa'fied Marshall tone.

Sweetwater has a great return policy so I'm not too worried about that aspect.

I'll give it some more time and go from there.

The tc50 sounds closer to the royal atlantic but has rectifier and mark tones in it. Its more hazy and raw sounding compared to the mark series more prestine tone. Marks have more inherent mids in them and seem stiffer to me. Their both tight but neither has the low end of a rectifier. The mark v 25 i had was thinner sounding than the tc50. The jp2c even more so from what i can hear. Honestly I dont now why some people want more low end from the tc50, it has plenty. I can get better blues tones and on edge breakup then I could with the markv 25. But if your just a metal player the jp2c probably would have been a better option. Though the tc50 is definitely geared towards rock and metal players and rightly so.

So I have to eat some crow – I jumped the gun on my initial review of the TC-50 and absolutely should’ve given it more time. I’ve heard that you need to give this amp time to blossom anyway, so I’m probably not alone on my initial impressions.

I had about 4 hours play time last night and tried various guitars: ESP LTD Eclipse with EMG 81’s, Dean Dimebag Razorback Rust with Dimebucker/DMT Pickups, 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio with 498/490’s, and a Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe 2016 with N3 Noiseless Single Coils. All played through a Mesa vertical 2x12.

This amp can do it all – but Deadpool_25 is correct – the MXR EQ in the loop is key. In fact, I’m finding most of his observations are correct. I’m also using a pedalboard setup via the 4CM, but I do not favor an OD in front of the amp – I prefer to get most overdriven tones from the amp.

I think Mesa’s next step in this series could be a 100 watt model with the addition of a 5 band EQ – selectable per channel.

I was pleasantly surprised that the EQ didn’t require the extreme V curve I typically set though. I only bumped up the bass frequencies slightly, reduced the upper and lower mids to -6db and added a little bit of high frequencies. The only time I didn’t like the EQ was in some cases with the clean channel, particularly with a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio (not needed with these high output pickups). However, with a 2016 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (N3 Noiseless Single Coils), it really gave it some body. I was actually able to get the Strat to give a decent metal tone using the S1 switching system.

As far as my claim that I could duplicate the tones from the TC-50 and Mark V35 – cleans and overdriven tones are near possible, but the TC-50 has a much better and more diverse palette in the crunch realm.

Another original observation is that the power difference between the Mark V35 and TC-50 doesn’t seem like much. Both are plenty loud, and in the same realm as far as punch. Perhaps the 6L6’s will change that. I look forward to trying them in the power section tonight. I wanted to give the EL34’s some more play time last night.

I think this amp will remain in my arsenal and I’ll just add a JPIIC+ later on down the line. I ordered a Helix today to use with the TC-50. Look forward to learning about midi – my first time with this type of setup.

bandit2013 said:
What 6L6 tube are you using? If you are using the Mesa 6L6GC STR440, I would recommend the Mesa 5881 STR425 as a better option.
I like both 6L6 and the EL34, but the 6V6 is very sweet. TC-50 took me a while to get used too, the Stock EL34 need some burn in time and they open up.

As for the JP-2C, dang is that a fun amp to play. Out of Box love affair for me anyways.

for me the Mark V was the hardest amp to bond with, I bought mine in 2012 and now I finally got it where I want it.

Choosing which one to get is the hard thing to do....

Oops. Sorry to neglect my own thread!

I was using the Mesa 6L6s. I put the 6V6s in and wow...even better. At least at medium volumes. I actually did play with the volume almost as high as it would go with the 6V6s and it sounded fantastic. Max volume was about 104db (measured with audio control app on iPhone).

Joshwah333 said:
So I have to eat some crow – I jumped the gun on my initial review of the TC-50 and absolutely should’ve given it more time. I’ve heard that you need to give this amp time to blossom anyway, so I’m probably not alone on my initial impressions.

I had about 4 hours play time last night and tried various guitars: ESP LTD Eclipse with EMG 81’s, Dean Dimebag Razorback Rust with Dimebucker/DMT Pickups, 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio with 498/490’s, and a Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe 2016 with N3 Noiseless Single Coils. All played through a Mesa vertical 2x12.

This amp can do it all – but Deadpool_25 is correct – the MXR EQ in the loop is key. In fact, I’m finding most of his observations are correct. I’m also using a pedalboard setup via the 4CM, but I do not favor an OD in front of the amp – I prefer to get most overdriven tones from the amp.

I think Mesa’s next step in this series could be a 100 watt model with the addition of a 5 band EQ – selectable per channel.

I was pleasantly surprised that the EQ didn’t require the extreme V curve I typically set though. I only bumped up the bass frequencies slightly, reduced the upper and lower mids to -6db and added a little bit of high frequencies. The only time I didn’t like the EQ was in some cases with the clean channel, particularly with a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio (not needed with these high output pickups). However, with a 2016 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (N3 Noiseless Single Coils), it really gave it some body. I was actually able to get the Strat to give a decent metal tone using the S1 switching system.

As far as my claim that I could duplicate the tones from the TC-50 and Mark V35 – cleans and overdriven tones are near possible, but the TC-50 has a much better and more diverse palette in the crunch realm.

Another original observation is that the power difference between the Mark V35 and TC-50 doesn’t seem like much. Both are plenty loud, and in the same realm as far as punch. Perhaps the 6L6’s will change that. I look forward to trying them in the power section tonight. I wanted to give the EL34’s some more play time last night.

I think this amp will remain in my arsenal and I’ll just add a JPIIC+ later on down the line. I ordered a Helix today to use with the TC-50. Look forward to learning about midi – my first time with this type of setup.

Glad to hear you're getting along with the TC-50. I'm still loving mine. Like I said above, I think it sounds best with the 6V6s. It definitely loses some clean headroom at 25 watts though. I'm STILL working on my FX8 pedalboard and moved to a stripped down pedalboard for now. The MXR EQ is out of the mix for a bit, but the amp still sounds fantastic without it.

Enjoy the Helix. Before I pulled the rig apart to rebuild the pedalboard, I found the FX8 and TC-50 to play very well together in 4CM + MIDI. I really need to get that pedalboard done soon. Maybe I'll have it done by the time the other half of my stereo rig arrives (Peavey Invective).

Deadpool_25 said:
Glad to hear you're getting along with the TC-50. I'm still loving mine. Like I said above, I think it sounds best with the 6V6s. It definitely loses some clean headroom at 25 watts though. I'm STILL working on my FX8 pedalboard and moved to a stripped down pedalboard for now. The MXR EQ is out of the mix for a bit, but the amp still sounds fantastic without it.

Enjoy the Helix. Before I pulled the rig apart to rebuild the pedalboard, I found the FX8 and TC-50 to play very well together in 4CM + MIDI. I really need to get that pedalboard done soon. Maybe I'll have it done by the time the other half of my stereo rig arrives (Peavey Invective).

I wrestled with the decision of an FX8 vs. the Helix. Hope I don't regret the Helix.

Let us know how that Invective sounds - it looks killer!!

What pedals will be on your pedal board?

Joshwah333 said:
I wrestled with the decision of an FX8 vs. the Helix. Hope I don't regret the Helix.

Let us know how that Invective sounds - it looks killer!!

What pedals will be on your pedal board?

The Helix will be great I'm sure. If I'm very lucky, the Invective will be here next week. We shall see.

The board will be

- Digitech Drop
- FX8
- Strymon BigSky
- TC Ditto
- Morningstar MC6 MIDI Controller
- Fractal EV-2 pedals (2; expression and volume)

The Ditto is simpler and I think does detuning better than the FX8. The BigSky is great and can move some processing off board to save some FX8 CPU power. The Ditto is because with the BigSky coming after the FX8, I wouldn't have been able to include it in my loops if I used the FX8's looper. The Morningstar will be controlling both amps, the FX8, and the BigSky as needed.

That's gonna be a wicked set up on your pedalboard. Good move on the Strymon Big Sky and conserving CPU power on the FX8.

Helix just arrived today - time to get learnin!

Joshwah333 said:
That's gonna be a wicked set up on your pedalboard. Good move on the Strymon Big Sky and conserving CPU power on the FX8.

Helix just arrived today - time to get learnin!

Nice. Enjoy that Helix. It’s a very good unit from what I understand.

I completely reworked my rig plan. I decided I’d go with a more traditional board, but still with MIDI control. The FX8 got sold. I put the EL-34s back in the TC-50 which will be run in stereo with the Invective.

In front will be: Mobius, Precision Drive, Riverside
In loops will be: El Cap, Dig, BigSky, EQ (one for each amp), Ditto

I may or may not put a few other things on the board: Drop, a compressor, TC Mimiq, noise gate(s) in fx loops.

http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/triple-crown-series/triple-crown-tc-100/index.html

I will be buying this for me, this thread has me 90% convinced to get one and the willie adler statement is the other 10%

thediavlo said:
http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/triple-crown-series/triple-crown-tc-100/index.html

I will be buying this for me, this thread has me 90% convinced to get one and the willie adler statement is the other 10%

Ηahaha I figured this was coming..as did others on this board. The 100W Triple Crown.

The power soak thing is interesting. Does Mesa do this on any other amps? I’ve wondered why it wasn’t done before? Does it suffer from a bit of tone suck when you crank the tubes but only put some of that power through the speakers?

thediavlo said:

Oh wow. They did do it! Cool. The power soak thing sounds cool. Good thing it doesn’t have any features I really feel like I need, and I don’t need the extra power. That’s awesome though.

mace said:
thediavlo said:

Ηahaha I figured this was coming..as did others on this board. The 100W Triple Crown.

The power soak thing is interesting. Does Mesa do this on any other amps? I’ve wondered why it wasn’t done before? Does it suffer from a bit of tone suck when you crank the tubes but only put some of that power through the speakers?

The Multi-soak feature first appeared on the Royal Atlantic 100W amp ( I believe, it came out in 2010 ). However the feature on the RA was placed on the rear of the amp with the selectors for each channel, also had a mini toggle on the front panel to turn it on or off. Included in this scheme of power attenuation the RA100 had a two speed fan to keep things cool, high speed recommended but low speed or off could be used for recording purposes. This design has its own patent so it makes sense to keep the tech in production. the RA100 does have more sag than the TC-50 so I would assume that the power supply was revamped in the TC-100. Also the plate voltage of the RA100 is in the 400V range where as the TC-50 runs about 450V. I do use the multi-soak a lot with the RA100 but usually at -4db (75W power mode) when using the clean channel and the gain maxed out. That sounds awesome as it really makes the distortion sound more 3D like. My favorite tubes for the RA100 would be the SED =C= EL34 in the head, Mullard reissue EL34's in the combo (I have both actually). Unfortunate for use RA100 owners is that we cannot take advantage of the 6V6 tube due to the power supply. That would be cool to run a quad of 6V6 tubes as you can do such in the TC-100 (as they claim). It appears that the multi-soak cannot be turned off with the exception of using the 100W setting. Also I did not see a half power switch on the TC-100 so I would assume that you need to use the multi-soak for the 50W setting. The attenuator does place a burden on power tubes, the more aggressive setting (lower wattage) the harder it is on the tubes. My preference with the RA100 would be to turn it on at 50W vs 100W which does turn off a pair of power tubes, note that it is not as loud as the TC-50 at the 50W setting (reference to the RA100 set to run 50W). I would not say it does tone suck but more of a volume suck. Using the multi-soak on the RA100 allows you to run the amp in its sweet spot and really drives the power tubes into saturation, generally when I do use it I push the master volumes on the HI and LO gain channels. Having this in the TC-100 with separate controls for each channel would be more ideal. In reference to the TC-50 the CH3 (HI gain) is a bit more aggressive and much tighter than the RA100 hi gain channel. I still like my RA100's so I probably will not upgrade to the TC-100 unless I trade in my TC-50. So far I like the TC-50 in all aspects including the FX loop (I have no tone issues or volume problems like some have reported, but I am also using some good effects that seem to be compliant with the TC-50 and the Mark V, JP-2C, Roadster as well as the RA100). One thing I have not tried in the TC-50 is the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 as it has a warmer tone to it than say the Mesa 12AT7 (Chinese tube) which is very bright. I actually have a preference for the NOS 12AT7 in the RA100 as it warms up the Lo gain channel. I am sort of fixed on the RA100 (at least the head) and I could sell off or trade in the RA100 combo but that amp is also fun to play though (running Celestion G12H75 Creambacks in it which takes away the fizz that you get with V30 in an open cab format). In relation to the RA100 head, the combo sounds identical when run through the same cabinet. Will have to run a stereo setup with the two I have. They also blend quite well with the TC-50 so I am not hard up on getting the TC-100. However it is tempting as it is the same size as the TC-50, just weighs a few pounds more. I would rather pick that up and transport to a gig than either of the RA100's, besides, the RA100 will not fit on top of the Vertical 212 as it barely fits on top of the OS Recto 412. Head of the RA100 weighs as much as the Vertical 212 cab, as for the RA100 combo that thing weighs about the same as the OS Recto 412 cab. Your roadies will hate you for choosing the RA100 as it is heavy relative to the TC-50.

Latest posts

Back