If you get one, give it time to blossom!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
One important thing to consider with the TC-50...... well perhaps more so on the Mesa EL34s. When new and barely any use on the tubes, the amp will sound a bit sterile, bright and lacking midrange. Probably one reason why I have not been fond of the Mesa EL34 or even the EHX EL34 when I first tried them. It seems they will change in character after about 20 hours of use. You may notice the mids beginning to bloom during this period. After that the amp sounds incredible. I can say that the Mesa EL34 tubes never sounded better than they do in the TC-50. Almost a perfect match. By no means do they sound brittle or harsh in the TC-50. Tight and warm character with well balanced top end and just the right amount of midrange to put a smile on your face if you lost it from playing though something else. If you like what you hear in the Mesa video you will get it at home too (actually I think the amp sounds better in person).

If you opt for the 6V6, enjoy them as they also sound amazing in the TC-50. Not sure what I like better and is difficult to decide. The 6L6GC on the other hand that is a different story on its own. I have several varieties including Mesa tubes. I was not too impressed with the 6L6 tube in this amp as it takes too much away from the tone farm. I will have to try them again now that the amp has some hours of use on it (doubt that will change much if anything). What the 6L6GC takes away, the 6V6 brings back as they have a similar character to the 6L6 but different.

Yeah, I am flip-flopping my opinion on this amp. At first I was not sure it was for me. I knew better and should have waited for the amp to catch up to my expectations (I did not have any actually at first....how can an object surpass that? If it puts a smile on my face and sings like it does that is good enough for me). Now I cannot stop playing though it. So far it has become one of my favorites and may top the list soon enough.

I've been quiet for a while here, but the TC50 is my favourite Mesa amp without doubt. I've had the combo for about 4 months now and really don't play anything else. I was taking my Express 5:25 to practice as it was getting to much to drag the RA and cab. Since getting the combo it always goes to practice and no more tone compromise. Live at an outdoor gig it was perfect and at home it's great too.

One thing though, my experience has not been like yours in terms of tone change from taking it new out of the box through to now. I've noticed some slight changes that I'd attribute to speaker break-in.

Oh yeah, speaker break in may be another factor for the combo platform. Same would apply to a new speaker cabinet. That may take much longer to present any changes to tone and should be subtle unless you overwork the voice coil (depends on driver magnet and suspension or spider).

The MESA EL34 may not give you that characteristic midrange common with EL34 power tubes when they are new. The same would apply with the EHX EL34 which are the same tube. The other variants out there that have a larger bottle size but still smaller than the large bottle 6L6 may offer some tonal differences. Before you think you want to change tubes to something else... give the EL34 at least 24 hours of play use. An awesome alternative straight out of box is the Mesa 6V6 (not sure of origin yet but does not matter). That was a treat to hear. I put them back in their box to keep them safe for when I want to use them. I am really taking to the Mesa EL34 as they sound perfect (after 24 hours of use). This may be one case that other variants may not sound they way you expect them too. I have tried other variants in the RA100 like the KT77, SED =c= EL34, Mullard EL34 and the Tung Sol EL34B. My favorites for the head (when used with the OS Recto 412 with V30) is the SED =c= EL34. I prefer the Mullard EL34 in the RA100 Combo. KT77 sounded killer in the Mark V but lame otherwise. Tung Sol el34B just seemed lame unless you were driving the amp really loud. I admit, I did sneak in a pair of the SED =c= EL34 and they sounded no different than the Mesa EL34 in the TC-50. However in the RA100 there is a dramatic change on the smile factor especially in the gain characteristic. Mullards sound more like hot rod tubes (may be early distortion rated) and they do not rattle like most of the EL34 tubes so perfect for the RA100 combo. I love the sound of the TC-50 with the stock Mesa tubes so it would be difficult to want to change to something else.

The TC50 is my only Mesa amp with stock tubes. I was expecting to swap a few Tungsol 12ax7 tubes in, but am so happy with the tone as is that I am not likely to bother. I did like the Mesa El34 tubes in my RA, but the preamp tubes were shuffled until I found a combination of Tungsol and one Mullard that I liked.

The Mesa 6V6 tubes in the TC certainly are sweet. I ran them for about a week and think I prefer the extra texture they provide, but changed back to the EL34 as I wasn't sure if they would make enough volume for an outdoor gig. The EL34s have stayed in since and do seem to have a bit more punch or perhaps a little less compression.

I measured the power output right at the start and it was spot on 50 watts. Am interested to measure it again when the tubes are at end of life and see if it changes much. Someone commented that the plate voltage was different from the RA to TC, but mine both measure around 450.

The RA has 400Vdc plate voltage as I was told. Perhaps for the use of the attenuator circuit. If I have patience with the Mesa EL34 in the RA it would eventually sound less harsh. for some reason the Vintage Lo just had too much top end which added to some brittle tone (not as dramatic as the Mark V CH3 using the preset eq with the extreme voice at full power)

Tung Sol, or even a Mullard CV4004 V1 followed by the Mullard 12AX7 in V2 sounded killer in the RA100 with the =C= el34. That was just perfect especially through the OS recto 412 with the V30. TC-50 can't touch that..... but it can do other things the RA cannot do. I am totally sold on the TC-50. Such a fun amp to play though on all respects, now both RA100s have covers on them like the rest of the amps. (except the Mark V combo as I am currently breaking in a new speaker).

Ahh, disregard what I previously said about plate voltage. After checking my notes it was not the RA that was 450. My RA measured 415V and the TC 456V. Plate current is probably also higher, but the TC came with blue vs yellow grade tubes in the RA so it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Yeah, all my other amps are covered. I think it time to unload a few. I'll keep the ED for its special character, but the Express and Deluxe reverb can go. RA will be saying for now.

I may have covers on them but that does not mean I have lost interest in using them. Most of my guitars are in their cases but they are ready for use any time I want to pull one out.

My drum set has been idle for a bit of time too, (new amp TC-50), also testing new speaker in the Mark V but that is now done. It seems what ever is in the studio does not get used that much. What ever makes its way to the family room gets played (except the drums they stay put, as well as the bass gear).

Yesterday I pulled out the JP-2C to punish the speaker I installed in the Mark V combo (actually to get a feel for it before removing the speaker). My favorite go to cab has to be the Vert 212 cabinet. I also have three 412 cabs being used as a shelf to hold up the amps sitting on them. It all depends on mood I guess.

I like having options.... I did not expect to sell off any gear since the amp was an addition and not a replacement. This also means I want more.....thinking of another V212 cab. I love the first one so much I want another, run both on one amp or use it with the JP. I would rather do that than spend more money on raw speakers. May be a bit expensive but the cab alone is worth it.

I forgot when I got the TC-50, but amp is still running strong with the original tubes. Yes I had pulled them to try out some other types and the NOS Mesa Siemens EL34's. That last time I used the Siemens tubes is when the amp died. Main fuse blew out and after replacement of the fuse the amp remained dead silent (sort of, just a murmur of sound could be heard and the FX return had no effect). I would suspect that when the fuse blew out, a transient spike effected the mute circuit driver that caused it to stay active (in mute). I have not installed the NOS Siemens tubes since then and shipped the amp with the original EL34's and then it came back from Mesa but in a different box. Everything was well packed and in excellent condition. Amp is back to its functional state. Tone has darkened a bit since I first fired it up. Sounds way more aggressive. I may swap in the NOS Mesa tubes again but will check them out first, maybe the RA100 head as that one is much easier to remove the rear panels compared to the RA100 combo. Considering the combo, I should pull it out from its cover and fire it up. Been a while since I used it. I have an idea what I can do with the combo and the head but it all depends on how well the combo sits on the horizontal 212. I may stack the two RA100 and run that with the TC-50. I cannot get over how great this 50W amp sounds when paired up with my other amps. Even by itself it is too much fun to play through. I really do not what to make this statement but I am finding it more fun than the JP-2C. Perhaps the TC-50 is a better fit for the music I play. However, a blend of the TC-50 and the JP-2C is very rewarding. I am thinking about getting the Radial Shotgun pedal so I can couple 4 amps at once. That would make a great deal of sense since I am planning on getting the bigger brother to the TC-50 when ever inventory changes from "pre-order, coming soon" to "It is in stock". If I was not traveling this up coming holiday I would have ordered it and then I would be stirring around waiting.... That would drive me nuts. For the time being, the TC-50 will have to do and it is keeping up with the 100W amps I have (generally it is better if I run them at half power, at least all of them have the power switch for that purpose). Considering the TC-100, I did not see a half power option on the power switch like the RA100 has. The RA100 has the multi-soak feature too and can be used with 50W or 100W. I guess I can wait until I get one to find out how the TC-100 differs from the RA100. Will have to remember to get a midi cable so I can daisy chain the TC100 with the TC-50. That will be cool.

Perhaps you do not need to wait for anything. TC-100 was a beast out of box. Perhaps it may make a difference if you are migrating from one type or class of amp to another. Like a Mark series to the TC or Rectifier series to the TC. You may be surprised that the iconic Mesa tones are present on every channel but yet has a distinctive character to is own. If and when possible, if you get one you should also try the 6V6 tubes. Sweet as pie.

bandit2013 said:
One important thing to consider with the TC-50...... well perhaps more so on the Mesa EL34s. When new and barely any use on the tubes, the amp will sound a bit sterile, bright and lacking midrange.

Huh that's exactly why I didn't buy the one I tried in store. The stores might want to make sure the demo models are "broken in".

Yes. I can't say the same about the TC-100 but I had more exposure with the TC-50 so I knew what to expect and how to dial it in (within reason). There is midrange and the key to get more of it on the lo gain channel is to drive up the bass. Now having the TC-50 for some time I really love it and I think even more than the TC-100 for certain reasons. Both are awesome amps but not a JP-2C so do not expect to get that total metal mayhem you want if you are into the Rectifier amps and looking to lighten up your load. I just cannot see myself letting go of any of my current amps. I could let go a few guitars to make room for more. :p not :x :shock:

Latest posts

Back