Other side of Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
At the risk of appearing to be a complete idiot, what, exactly, does Mesa mean when they say “other side of MESA"? For the TC-50, they continue: Emanating from the “other side of MESA” that spawned Rock’s iconic Dual Rectifier®...etc. I guess I just expected all Mesa amps came from the same engineers.

From what I recall the main designer has multiple personalities and they keep that in the closet.... Sorry Randal. I am making a pun out of the marketing phrase or word choice. We all know you are the master at your skill and we thank you for the awesome amp designs. Well done. Kudos to all of your minions as well.

I would have thought that the "other side of Mesa" would refer to the Rosette or solid state amplifier design (this would include some bass amps too).
Perhaps the words "from the other side of the pond" was not American enough... I thing "out of the closet" may be a more accurate phrase as there have been many attempts to make a Brit toned amp but they all seem to become, well, discontinued. Stiletto, Electa Dyne, Tans Atlantic, and finally the TC-50. I had to get one while they were new and in production. (Same reasoning behind the JP-2C purchase). Sure this does not mean the amp or design is bad or anything of that sort but may not appeal to many like the iconic Mark amps. A step in the other direction outside of the norm. Perhaps "other side of the Moon" as that may indicative of undiscovered territory. Not like there is a trade secret (if it is patented you can easily see what makes it unique by reading the patent). Now how to circumvent the patent claims and create another masterpiece is the trick. .... Never mind.

I found it even more odd that the "other side of Mesa" included the Dual Rectifier. To me, that series of Mesa pretty much defines the Mesa sound so many are familiar with. Perhaps because the rectifier series is set apart from the Mark series?

Definitely NOTHING is bad about any of the Mesa amps I own! They are truly the finest guitar amplifiers I have ever played.

Mesa Boogies roots and legacy are in the Mark series.

When Randall started out modding and hotrodding Fender amps, then created the first cascading gain preamps, it was the Mark I. The Mark II/B/C/+ were then iterations and improvements, with the C+ really becoming a company defining amp and holy grail of tone. The IIIs and IVs and now Mark V continue that line by adding more features and versatility to what is essentially still that Mark IIC+ design for the lead channel. The Mark series is to many people Mesa's legacy and their defining sound.

And it's a very different sound and feel than the "other side" of Mesa which became huge and well known, which is the Rectifier line (More accurately, the Dual Rectifier Solo Head, as they had a number of "Dual Rectifier" amps originally which were all very different until the Solo did so well that it became an entire line all it's own).

Obviously they've got some of their British infused offerings (Stiletto, TransAtlantic, etc), Some cleaner offerings (Lone Star), acoustic, bass, etc

But the two sides of the Mesa Boogie coin, the two core product lines that define them to most people, are their classic Mark series amps, and the more modern Rectifier line.

So I think they're just saying "Hey, we did the Mark V, and the 25 and 35 watt versions, and the JP-2C, it's time we heard something from the other half of the Mesa tone legacy. After all those Mark offerings, he's something new that's a little more in the Rectifier vein."

Or they just meant "Something new" the same way that the Rectifier was born from the side of Mesa that is constantly experimenting with something totally new instead of just iterating and improving on a classic old design (as the Mark series is very well locked into the tone and design honed by the IIC+ amps.)

+1, I never considered the two iconic sounds would be recognized for the Rectifier and Mark, I seem to only think of the Mark Series. (I consider the Rectifier a spawn or spin off of the Mark III as I recall someone making that statement).

As far as the roots are concerned and where the name came from is known. It is also published on the Mesa site.

Thanks for sharing this revelation.

This Mark-Rectifier thing makes sense to me. They both are the most popular amp series from Mesa and sound quite different. The TC-50 is different yet. Time will tell if it becomes it's own series or fades away as a new amp model is released. Luckily, all sides, including the TC-50, all available to make music with right now.

Mace

Back