TC-50 to Rectoverb 25 comparison sound file

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mace

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I had some time to do a little recording and put together a comparison of these two amps. The editing took a while! :shock:

Anyway, a member here does not have access to a Mesa dealer and that provided some motivation to do this, since both amps are sitting here. haha

https://soundcloud.com/user-821323595/mesa-boogie-rov25-to-tc50-comparison

The settings are in the soundcloud comments and the related photo, as well as the timing mark index where you can see what's what (for easy skipping around and comparing). One bad thing is I couldn't open these amps up in volume since my family was home. So, the true "gigging" character isn't in the recordings, but nonetheless, the recorded samples reveal the differences. Sound volume was between "bedroom" and "rehearsal: levels.

One note: the guitar tone control was set to about 1/4 below max treble, volume know was maxed for all samples. Both amps were used a head, with a 1x12 Thiele EVH loaded older cab (no mods). TC-50 had the EL-34s even though I use 6V6s with it for the bands I'm playing in. Just wanted to keep things "stock". I suppose I could do a comparison recording with the different output tubes as well.

If I can find the time I'll throw in the Mark V for a three way shoot-out. But that will be a few weeks.

Mace

Nice!!! How far away was the H2n from the cabinet? I really need to make some recordings of the amps I have.

I have the older H2 recorder, but it still works great. Just need to figure out exactly how to place it for optimal results.

Hi,

I'd say about 1/2 meter away, and up from the cab (so I could see the sound level meters). Basically, cab was on the tile floor, H2N was on a piano bench. Like an idiot I stood near the H2N so you can hear the pick on string attacks coming from the guitar (not through the cab).

The room is small and very alive, with some rattling glass cabinets. Hard flooring and not much to dampen anything. Not sure how much of the room was "captured".

Mace

Latest posts

Back