Mesa 6V6 STR 417, No I am impressed with TC-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Since I got the amp, it was taking some time to bond with the new amp. I have to admit that I personally do not like the Mesa EL34 tubes at least in the RA100, Mark V or the Roadster. Sterile for lack of a better term. However I have found the tubes will creep up in mids with some hours placed on the tubes. I was starting to love this amp and really enjoy it more each time I powered it up. Since I have the head, I do not have to wait for speaker break-in as my cabinets get used a lot. My favorite amp in this category falls to my RA100 head loaded with non-stock tubes. A mix and match of two Mullard CV4004, 12AX7LP, Svetlana 12AX7, JJ ECC803s Mesa 12AT7, and Sovtek LPS with SED =C= EL34. That amp is a beast on the Hi channel, awesome on the Lo channel and perfect on the clean channel. To me that was the benchmark to compare to when channeled though the OS Recto 412 with the V30.

Yesterday I got my Mesa 6V6 tubes along with some other gear for recording and a Lehle P-splitter II for bi-amp use. After messing with the other stuff for a while I got down to business with the TC-50 and installed the 6V6 tubes (everthing else remained stock). WOW what a huge difference in character. The gain structure had more content represented in a similar character I was getting out of the RA100 with its complement of tubes. :shock: Even though the 6V6 drops the power down to 25W I was loving what I was hearing. My ears were thanking me too for getting these tiny tubes. As I said before in (may be in another thread) the TC-50 works quite well with the Mesa EL34 (same tube as the EHX EL34 but sorted for characteristics) and does not have that sterile feel to it. The 6V6 just bumped this amp up to a different level. Just where I wanted it. That put a smile on my face the very same I would get with the RA100 pushing the =C=s. Things just keep getting better with the TC-50. I may just keep the 6V6 in the amp and not go back to the EL34's. At least I have options and that is what drove me to this amp due to its tube choice range. Just Awesome to me anyways. 6V6 gave the amp a blend of EL34 and 6L6 character. Actually probably more of a 6L6 character but rich and articulate vs dull tone that I got using the Mesa 6L6 STR 440. The amp is still very loud but not as harmful to my ears due to drop in power output. If you have the TC-50, definitely try the 6V6 if you have not done so yet.

And now you understand why I bought this amp to begin with!
I had to force myself to install the 6CA7s because I just love the tone of this amp with the 6V6 tubes. And....you can push those tubes to their sweet spot without shaking the walls. I now have 3 different sets of 6V6 to try once the Mesa tubes burn out.

Well that was also the deal maker for me to buy the amp in the first place. Actually I did not like most of what I heard in the demos with the 6V6 at first. Had to go through them again and thought that sounds good, may as well buy it and see for myself. Also have a few quads of EL34 tubes to use if and when I want to pull them out of the RA100. SED =C= EL34 was okay but not as awesome as they are in the RA100. I did not try the Mullards and will hold of on those for a while. I do like the Mesa EL34 in the TC-50. A bit bright but it sounds really good. Perhaps the Mesa STR 447 EL34 sound a bit dry, The STR440 just dull but the 6V6 is the bomb. Wet full of flavor just like the big brother with SED s. Probably the first time I heard the 3D content in the gain coloring. That is where the smile is coming from. I do not need drugs to be happy, just a guitar and a tube amp with decent tubes in it. Speaker choice is optional but usually needed.

thanks for posting this thread.

i've been reading your other interesting posts about your TC and you really perked my interest when you mention the 6V6 in the TC50.

Just received my 6V6's to replace the EL34's that are in my TC50, so i'm jazzed to try the out, since i had to go to work before I had a chance to swap them out.

I like the way the TC50 sounds with the EL34, but I'm hoping, as you seemed to have found, to warm up the lead channels a bit more, and give the amp some more "fatness". Also dropping the wattage with the 6V6's will make it easier to balance the volume with my other "35 watters", also from Mesa (MV5:35 & LSS).

peace

The trick with this amp is where you set the treble control. This helps with EL34 and with the 6V6. I read the manual for a better understanding of the intent of the preamp circuits. Very similar case with the RA100 Vintage Lo channel. Vintage Hi you tend to want a bit more treble so it was a battle or compromise. TC-50 fixed that problem with separate controls for each. Ideal. I generally run the presence about 1pm and the treble about noon but when set to 9 or 10 am the amp just sings. 6V6 offers a bit more thickness to the overall tone. Mids are where they should be. I can definitely hear a Mark tone on both Hi and Lo channels but yet still has the RA character but only better.

Oops, noticed a missing letter in the title. Should have been stated "Now I am impressed with the TC-50" I tried to correct it so may not take effect. the oops was "No I am impressed with the TC-50" There is nothing negative about this amp. Sure it may have sounded sterile and bright but I did not understand the settings and the tubes needed some time to burn in before the mids began to blossom. TC-50 is every bit as good as I would have imagined it to be. It is only getting better the more I play though it. Keep in mind I do manage to play through my other amps since there is some sort of gravity towards the JP-2C as it seems to get heavier every time I pick it up off of the Vertical 212 so I can use the TC-50. The heads weigh about the same, sort of.

I did a play though with the Superstrat. Not bad. I think I like the EL34 with either of the two that I have. I will give it more time though. I generally pick up the Carvin CT6 more than anything else as I have it out all the time. I have another one of those with a Floyd rose bridge and 24frets in moss green that I always use for lead when I go for jam sessions at my friends house. I have only had it for a year as it was a 50th b-day present to myself. The image of both guitars had lace sensors loaded in the pick guards. One had a humbucker and the other was SSS format. This was a while back. Now I have since moved onto Seymour Duncan rails and the other forms of mini humbuckers. now they are SSS format but in reality they are mini HHH. Both are green, one is Moss (maple and black limba) and the other is teal (maple and alder). 5 piece maple necks with birds eye maple boards, medium jumbo SS frets. The teal one almost looks like toasted maple as it is loaded with eyes, the moss not so many eyes in the maple. Both are equipped with locking Floyd Rose. Guitars are the Carvin Bolt C models. Teal I bought used, the Moss I ordered new.

P6200041_zps8f0d371b.jpg

So Mesa 6v6 are good? My amp is ordered (sold a 5:50 express plus) and cant wait. I will be missing the wattage selection on the Express. So the 6v6 for home use sounds ideal.

The demos ive listened to sound incredible! Super Excited

Yes, I love the 6V6 tubes in the TC-50 as it gives it a different character. I have also gotten the Mesa 5881 tubes and I really like those too. If you want to try a 6L6 type tube I would highly recommend the Mesa 5881 STR 425 (Russian tubes) over the Mesa 6L6 STR440 (Chinese). The tubes that ship stock in the JP-2C, Roadster, Rectifier amps, and the Mark V would be the STR440 6L6. They may work great in those applications but they seem to lack the midrange that I prefer when used in the TC-50. Both the 6V6 and the 5881 tubes delivered the goods. At the moment I have been exploring the alternatives in the EL34 category but will be returning to the 6V6 and then the 5881. That is one of the coolest features with this amp as you can use three different tube types. The 6V6 tubes are really nice when compared to the stock EL34 tubes.

I couldn't agree more about the 6V6 tubes. The reduction in wattage simply allows you to push the power section harder and it just sings! I did receive some Gold Lion KT77s, but haven't installed them yet. I am waiting for the 6V6s to wear out before I do. The clean with 6V6s is just as amazing as the other 2 dirty channels. Like Bandit, I also tried Mesa 6L6s and was not impressed at all. The stock EL34s aren't bad by any means, but Mesa 6V6s are where it's at for me.

You would be impressed with the Mesa 5881 STR425 as you get the full tone out of the tube without any midrange loss. Sounds like the 6V6 to some extent but much louder. I have not gone back to the 6V6 but have the box out to do so. The JP-2C sort of grabbed my attention and well once I turned it on I forgot about everything else for that moment.

I finally put the 6V6s in my TC-50. Definitely seem to be my favorites so far. I need more time with them all but I really like them at first try.

I love the dark bottom I am getting with the 6V6 on CH2 and CH3. Moves the amp into a different class tone wise that it would be with the EL34 or 6L6 (including the 5881 but those are closer to the 6v6 character than the 6L6 STR440). Also helps save the ear drums a bit as to get similar sound from the EL34 or 6L6 you have to push the volume up....

Latest posts

Back