TC-50 will not replace my RA100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I got the TC-50 if you did not see my other posts... And yes I did a full run down with the RA100 along with the TC-50 to compare them.
My first impressions with the TC-50 were not as rewarding as I would have expected but neither was the JP-2C... For reference, the JP-2C first hand experience I thought it was lame. It sounded good but did not meet my expectations until I went thought the manual to discover the tweaks you needed to do to dial in awesomeness. Very easy to find that incredible juicy tone. At the time, I had Roadster tone on the brain so that may have influenced my first impression... Well it happened again... had JP-2C on the brain and with a forum member we discovered a fix for the Mark V to get the CH3 on par with the JP-2C. I battled with a decision to buy the TC-50 or a new drum set (drum set that I was after to complete would have been a bit more than twice the cost so I settled on the amp first). What I wanted did not influence my opinion but what I have did. Since Wednesday I have only been playing though the TC-50 to get acclimated to the new arrival. My blunder was to post my first impression which may have been negative (not that there is an issue with the amp, just the tone I though was too bright but that is because everything set to noon does not always sound good, in reality it did but my ears were used to the JP-2C). Finally got familiar with the amp and I have to say what others claim about this little monster is all true. Very incredible amplifier.

How it compares to the RA100, it does and does not. The TC-50 retains is composure and note definition even with high gain settings. No muddy or soupy mess with too much saturation. It is nirvana in a different tone that what you may get in a Mark Series amp. That is what I summed up with exposure to the RA100 but the TC-50 takes that to another level. When I first got the RA100, I though that had the most sensitivity and was quite forward in response to your pick attack. RA100 is not spongy but at the same time it is. I can hear the sag of the supply through the Hi/Lo channel and I like it as it adds some vintage character to the sound. If you change the power tubes to SED=C= EL34 it will definitely put a smile on your face on all channels through the RA100. I re-tubed the RA to stock glass so I had a bench mark to compare the TC-50. Note I did change one tube in the TC-50 (V3 changed to an SPAX7) but I really do not think it was necessary so I will put the original 12AX7A back in. I did look at the cocktail of the tubes I had pulled out of the RA as I forgot what I had in it, not a single mesa tube.... I tube rolled to get the optimum sound our of the =C= EL34 tubes. Now with all Mesa tubes in the RA it actually sounded great and made me wonder why I change them (truth be known I was tailoring the Hi/Lo channel as well as the clean for a specific tone or character). Not to the point....

Clean channel on the RA100 vs the TC-50. As an oversight, both amps have a similar tone to them. Note that with the RA100, the bass had to be reduced to eliminate the abundant bloom of the bass as it is the dominant frequency. Also both amps were dialed to taste so I do not have any specific dial settings to report. If you have the RA100 you will know what I am referring too. RA100 has that silky smooth mellow tone with the chime of the EL34 poking at you with that characteristic sound. Perfect for some expressive blues style. Yeah, drive up the gain and it just sings classic rock. The TC-50 is a bit more dry in tone than the RA100 but it has a characteristic the RA100 is lacking. Bump the bass control to 2pm and you will have that same sweet tone that you get once you have dialed out the bass on the RA. Keep in mind my RA100 was bought second hand and sure enough has many hours of use on the power supply capacitors and everything else in between that and the power tubes. I did have a play though a new one before I got the used one. Back to the TC-50. It is very tight. Bottom end on the clean is bold, crisp and will give you that piano like sound on single note playing similar to the Roadster clean or the Mark V clean running though an EV speaker, however I am using V30 loaded Vertical 212. TC-50 clean is nice and pristine and with a boosted gain setting it sings with a nice soft clip to a more crunchy tone. Change the toggle switch to drive mode and you have the full range of gain from RA100 clean to RA100 lo channel. I am impressed with the clean channel on the TC-50. One huge difference between the two is the tightness of the power supply and little or no sag in the sound. If you need to have that spongy feel, the RA100 wins. Not sure if the TC-50 will soften up over time with use but no complaint here about how the character of the TC-50 on the clean-green channel sounds. I will have to bring out the SSS-super strats (non-fender) to hear how they sound with the TC-50. At the moment I am using a 2 humbucker mahogany California Carve top Carvin (set mahogany neck with ebony fretboard and a thick curly maple top wood on the body). I am not taking a bias on the RA100 as I really love the clean channel on the TC-50. It has opened up a new pallet of tone and character to explore so it wins its own award for awesomeness.

Take the blue pill and wake up..... TC=50W, RA=100W (with the RA set to 50W it saturates the power tubes early).

On to the Lo channel of both amps. Here is where the power supply difference come into play. The TC-50 almost seems that there is plenty of headroom design into the preamp circuit and the power tubes have a well balanced feel. It is amazing what tones you get from the Lo channel. I would be happy if this amp only had two channels Lo and clean as it does an incredible job covering a wide range of gain characteristics. The TC-50 excels with a tight bottom, bold and powerful tone. It does not dominate the sound but it really shores up the growl punching out of the speaker cabinet. Very articulate character. A slight reduction in treble control helps to tame the top end bite which is similar to the RA100 when pumping through a V30 loaded 412 cabinet.

RA100 definitely has more sag in character. A little spongy but yet the pick attack remains forward and unforgiving for sloppy playing style. That is one character I love about the RA100. This trait is more apparent with the TC-50. The RA100 seems to have a softer bass response and the treble and upper midrange are the dominant frequencies. Generally the bass control need to be set moderately higher to obtain a more balanced tone. You will also get that spongy character on power chords. The blue channel is the mainstay of most players who own the RA100. The TC-50 brings to the plate a whole new set of rules. Very defined and well balanced character of bass, mids and treble and a definable gain characteristic growl that defines what crunch should really sound like. Dial in more bass control to accentuate the lower mids and you get very close to the tone of the RA100, it only sound better from one point of view. What I really love is the presence control. RA has this fixed to some percentage. I can tailor the gain character with the presence to suit my desires and alter the gain character. WOW. It did take me a while to find that Mesa voice that seems to carry from one amp to the next. Driving up the bass raised the bar on the lower mids that gave me the Mesa mojo. I love the fact that the RA100 and the TC-50 are not identical sounding amplifiers. They may be stated as similar. Where the TC-50 jumps out is with alternate guitar tunings. Ran a Drop D tuning and the TC-50 was amazing. Not too bad with the RA100 lo channel. Enter the tight switch, As if the amp was not already tight. Gives you a upper mid boost and a slight reduction in the bass drive. I like the tone from the tight switch but I love the tone of the amp in the normal setting. More to explore with that switch than I want to report on at the moment.

I had thought that ownership of the TC-50 would render the RA100's redundant. Quite the contrary. They complement each other. Most of my amp collection consisting of the Mark V, JP-2C, Roadster and the two RA100, I did not have an amp that would complement the RA100's (except the Mark V but that seems best with the Hi channel (red pill)). The TC-50 is an excellent choice to use for lead or rhythm to combine with the RA100 lo gain channel. Sure I could use the other RA100 but two RA100 sound too much the same unless tubes are different (which is what I currently have employed in the RA amps). I will continue more on this later....

My only in-person experience with an RA was watching a band where the guitarist was using one. Either it was the player's settings, or the sound guy's settings, but the amp sounded dull to my ears. I was disappointed, but had to take EQ settings into account, so, still not a fair and true experience.

Maybe it's my ears, but using 6V6 tubes gives my TC more sponginess. Or maybe I don't really know what that feel is, lol! On my RK, I keep the power tube setting on spongy deliberately. If that amp didn't weigh so much, I would use it more. I've been leaning more towards lighter weight amps for a while now and my back really appreciates that.

Unlike my initial experience with my Dyne, the TC delivered to me exactly what I expected and much more. My sound guy is using the Cab Clone and DI-ing me into the mix. I keep the Cab Clone set on Vintage, and I hear myself more coming through the mains than I do from my EVM cab. I have yet to find a style/tone that I can't get from the TC, with the exception of a JP2C. Had I not liked the TC, I would have returned it for the JP. But, from what I've heard, the JP seems to be a lot stiffer, which is not the feel I prefer, no matter how much I love the tone. My father has an old MK II (not a C or even a C+) that I've been trying to pry out of his hands for 30 years. He gave me the RK instead, lol!

I still need to run my Dyne and TC together. I have a feeling that the mix of those 2 amps will take me to pure tonal bliss. I may never return.

To get the RA to sound dull, use the 50W power setting or 100W with too much power soak setting but still sound good. Hmm, Must have been using Mesa STR440 6L6 tubes. I found they do not thrill me in either RA100 or the TC-50. I had run SED =C= 6L6GC in the RA100 head and I was impressed with the tone and character and the overall tone did not diminish (thought I still had EL34 in the amp). When I bought the RA100 combo (used) it was loaded with Mesa 6L6 tubes (not sure how much use on them either). Sounded flat and lacking what the RA needs. Installed the EL34 and instant gratification.

I am on lunch so my time is limited.... I will be digging this topic in more detail tonight and into the weekend. It has merits and also need to revisit the clean again as I left out something important. :p

Have to return to the clean channel again... I missed something important in terms of mood, expression of feelings. I probably spent most of my time playing guitar with a focus on expression. I never really mastered it nor have I mastered anything in a particular style. However, I can deliver the goods for sadness in somewhat of a blues standard but not format. This brings me to the clean channel again with some dirt in the signal along with the single coil guitar. I do not own a Fender Strat but something similar, maple bolt on neck with bird's eye maple fret board. connected to a carved back alder body top in a curly maple cap. Sporting a locking Floyd rose tremolo and to top it off with the Seymour Duncan "Everything Axe" single coil sized mini humbuckers. It may not sound exactly like the run of the mill Mexican Strat or the American Standard but it does get very close. Now we are talking blues here. If I never ever had the luxury of owning or playing though the RA100 I would never know what I would be missing. The TC-50 would be the choice for that comfort tone but I would probably adopt the Roadster for that purpose since I have it. The TC-50 seems a bit too dry for the blues. Perhaps it is not quite dark enough in tone or does not have that classic sag to take advantage of. Don't get me wrong here, the TC-50 is quite capable of achieving most styles but something is missing for the expressionism the blues style. Perhaps the tightness is the key here. I would agree with those claiming it is a fun amp to play though. Yes it is without a doubt. I just get in those moods where I just want to play the blues and so far the RA100 has never disappointed me. It can get muddy and sloppy but still retains that quality shared by both amps is that it is forward. The difference comes to the basic fundamental tone and the effects of elevated gain setting on the clean channel as the amp begins to loose its composure (RA100) it rings out with that sad warm tone that is probably more iconic with one or two musicians that I can think of. SRV may be one. There is one reason alone why I bought my first RA100, the Mark V does not and cannot get that sound. The Roadster came after the RA so that may be something of interest. The TC-50 seems more like the little brother to the RA100 than its predecessor. Reason for mentioning the Lone Star but that was a mistake or was it.. Tc-50 has more of a woody tone to it. I bet this amp would sound awesome though a old pre rola paper voice coil speaker but you may need two of those or you may catch them on fire. Even a pair of Celestion Greenbacks. I will have to try the blues out again but though the Creamback speakers I have the RA100 combo.

TC-50 is different even with the added bass it does not seem to get me where I want to go if the style of blues I am thinking of is on my mind. The clean channel is too **** happy for the blues. It does not mean you cannot play the blues on the clean channel it will sound great. Perhaps I have my preference. No worries, not really sure the sad tones of the day were intended for this amp. I also wanted to focus on the reverb on the clean channel. Again in reference to the RA to compare and we can also include the Roadster, Mark V and JP-2C as the one thing they all have in common is the reverb tank. I believe it is a 2 spring reverb, measures 14-15 inches in length. Has a mellow sound to it and decay is reasonable (depends on how it is driven and the circuit employed to drive it of course). Once notable difference of the RA to the other big amps is the fact you can over saturate it and ruin your tone, more so on the hi/lo channel. Would have been really sweet if the RA had three adjustable levels or at least two vs one. Yet to point out it has a predicable decay rate and the effect is quite enjoyable on all counts in the so equipped 100W/90W amps. I am sure Mesa had their reasoning for short tank in the TC-50. Measures in at abut 8.5-9 inches long. There is plenty of room to stuff the long tank in there, cost on the web site is about the same (but that is retail pricing... ) I think this is one feature I dislike about the TC-50. It has a long decay and sounds tin like. If you set the reverb to noon on the back panel for the clean channel it takes on an echo effect. When I first heard this I had though it was using a digital reverb like the Carvin V3MC as this was one complaint about the reverb sounding like a motor board. When I looked inside (did not notice the tank when I swapped out V3) I did not see where I thought it would be hanging from the top of the amp like most of the bottom feeder styled heads (amp on bottom tubes facing up). It is in there but on the front face plate. Nothing wrong about it but I prefer the longer tank. No worries, I do have a reverb pedal I can employ for the shorter decay rate. Not I am nit picking here.... sorry I am not complaining as I do like the TC-50 but it may pale in comparison to the RA100 with some aspects but not all. The Hi/Lo is where the money is on the TC-50. Modern British is a better term to describe the TC-50, Vintage British seems to come to mind for the RA100. Not sure how the Dyne stacks up there. For the Clean channel on the TC-50, country style of music may be a better fit. Well I guess I need to get some 6V6 to try out and see how that works for the clean with drive. Still the TC-50 does have a nice clean channel for crispness in a similar taste of the Mark V combo loaded with an EV speaker or the MC90 but though a V30 closed back 212. I will admit that the clean channel is not what sold me on this amp. It was the Hi/Lo channel that had me sold. Quite the opposite for the RA100 as it was the clean channel that had my focus of attention. The Hi/lo channels were just an added bonus to use when you need it. Actually they are really good too and have their strength and weakness just like any amp.

I am thinking of making some recordings of both but not sure that will pan out. I would suggest if you have the RA100 and love it, the TC-50 is not a direct replacement. The TC-50 has lots of merits to what it brings to the table that are incredible in their own way.

Red pill channel compare... It does not... and that is great. the absence co presence and a separate tone and gain control limit the RA100 to having a change in character between the Hi and Lo settings. Perhaps not so true in retrospect to the extra drive you get with the Hi channel with added midrange popping out, it gets quite saturated with higher gain settings and depending on your location to the amplifier gets into feedback quite easily. TC-50 holds its own and rivals some amps I just can't think of at the moment (probably because I have not played through them). Yeah, poor reference...That is the problem as I cannot figure out what other amps this new creation sounds like so hard to link a reference that may be familiar. Honestly, the Hi channel on the TC-50 is awesome as is the Lo channel. There is so much on tap that this amp will dish out. The gain circuits are somewhat similar to that of the JP-2C in terms of composure. Tight bass response and well balanced mids and treble such that one does not dominate over the other. It makes me think there is more headroom design into the amp to preserve the sound quality and not to muddy up the mix of frequencies. I did run my super strat through both RA and TC just for fun. I can say I like one better than the other. Not really sure why I am writing all of this, as this comparison is an apple to a banana (would have used orange but I do not have one of those). Both starchy fruits but taste different. Perhaps banana's blend well with other fruits so perhaps the analogy is good enough. Where the dove falls to the ground,,, Drop D or alternate tunings, this would include 7 and 8 stringers. RA lacks the tight bass response and may not be ideal for low tunings or more than 6 strings. I ran the Drop D on a different guitar and was really impressed with the TC-50. Actually that was heaven. RA sounded good too but did not have the same satisfying tone I was getting from the TC in this regard. I am basically at a loss of words to describe the differences. Ramble, ramble.... The TC-50 is growing on me and I love it. It did take a while to adapt as it is different but now I am seeing the benefit for the differences. I will have to remove the SPAX7 I put into the V3 position and put the original tube back in. May also sneak in the SED =C= EL34 in for a quick run and see if I get the same smile on my face that I get when they are in the RA100. Still I am liking the Mesa EL34 in the TC-50 so may not try it. For some reason I do not favor the Mesa EL34 in the RA. Perhaps it matters which cab I am using as the horizontal cab sound awesome with the RA100 head using stock tubes. When I run it through its matching OS Recto cab it sound a bit too thin or very bright. The cocktail of preamp tubes (mix of JJ long plate ECC803s, Mullard CV4004, Svetlana (not SED) and the sovtek LPS ) and the SED =c= EL34 bring to life a similar character I get with the 212 cab but through the 412 which can tend to get bright in its tone at elevated volume levels.

I was impressed with the TC-50 driving an EV loaded 412 cab, not muddy or boomy, just composed and true to what the TC sounds like. Still I prefer the mid range hump in the V30 which is the case with the RA as well. In some respects I can hear a hint of the RA with the TC with some settings on the controls. Perhaps later on I will look into preamp tube effects but will explore the amp as is and finally get to the manual and try out any suggested settings. Just for kicks I tired to look for a reference amp that sounds similar to the TC... Not quite a Marshall clone, actually the TC-50 shares some tonal character to a Vox AV series mixed with an Orange CR120 (based on some videos I have listened to). I have been a Mesa user for the past 28 years, the only guitar amp that is non-Mesa I have is a Carvin V3MC that I bought to travel with which is not a bad little amp (basically leave it at my friends house to use there with a Boss GT-100 as its preamp as the model of the Mesa Rectifier is close enough and weighs less than the cab and required amp).

If you made it this far in my soap box... Give the TC-50 a trial run and definitely run the master volume at noon or close to it if the store allows you to do so, you may end up coming home with a new addition to your Mesa collection. I had that opportunity but kept the volume level too low as the store was busy, (perhaps I lack the confidence or ego to play loud in front of others). However when I went to try out the RA100 when it was new, I was not permitted to run at 100W so the essence of the amp remained a mystery until I got one that I could use at home.

The TC-50 may indeed replace all of my amps. The more I play it, the faster it is climbing up the ladder to the top of the list of favorites. Still I love the RA100 for what it is. I am really loving the TC-50 for what it is as well.

No amps will be thrown overboard here. Well maybe one but now that it is sounding better it will have to stay.

It may have taken me a bit of time to adapt to it. Now I am loving it for what it is. Hi/lo channels are winners and the clean is also great too. :shock:

Actually I love both amps and would be very hard to let either one go. I was really getting into the TC-50 and was beginning to think perhaps the TC-50 could replace the RA100. In order to find out, I had to move the OS recto 412 cab I bought to match the RA100 since it has original speakers and has never been opened. This cab to me was the end all cab until I got the JP-2C and wanted something a bit smaller to tame how loud it is. Vertical 212 Cab came first followed by the horizontal 212 so I could use my large heads as well. The horizontal cab is similar to the vertical in tonal qualities and both sound much deeper in tone to the 412 cab. The truth be known,,,, with stock tubes in both amps the RA100 through the 412 cab sounds almost identical to the TC-50 through the Vertical 212. Yes, I tried the TC-50 through the 412 as I was wanting to do so. First time I thought I heard some sag in the tone on the Hi channel, may have been the guitar as the one I was using has a Floyd Rose. Before today, I was using a similar guitar that has a TOM string though body arrangement. Definitely could hear sag from the RA but not from the TC with a low E power chord. Either cab or tubes, doubt it was the cab but may be the power tubes (not very old, have less hours than the tubes in the TC-50). However, the RA100 though the 412 is equivalent to the TC-50 thought he 212 in terms of characteristic grind, sensitivity, attack and tone. I had to return all of the tubes I had in the RA100 just for S&G. Run down on tubes used: V1 Mullard CV4004, V2 Mullard RI long plate 12AX7, V3 Mesa 12AT7, V4 Svetlana 12AX7, V5 Mullard CV4004, V6 JJ ECC803S (long plate), V7 Sovtek LPS. Power tubes are SED =C= EL34 matched quad. Oooh, that sounds amazing. Hi/Lo is almost equaled in flavor to the TC-50. Tight and percussive attack, just slightly richer in the mids but dang close. The obvious is the loudness. I have to admit, having two RA100s and one TC-50 is great. The TC-50 is a bit more adjustable with each channel having the extra control as well as independent tone controls, not to mention three reverb level sends (one for each channel). Midi control is the awesome bonus. Not sure about the cab clone, never used it yet in this amp or the JP-2C. I will eventually get there some day. For those wanting to get the TC-50, it is a great amp and worthy of ownership and it will not destroy your hearing as quickly as the RA100. For those who have an RA, I would definitely recommend the tube choice I am using. Unfortunately the SED =C= EL34 available may not be all that great and the cost has risen considerably especially when you have to buy 4 of them. Ouch. So when mine decide to burn out by the red death not sure what to do next. Mullard RI EL34 are not bad but may be too aggressive. I have them in the RA100 Combo. I am thinking of the NOS tubes on the Mesa web store but need to look into those before plunging. I have to get a pair of 6V6 to try out in the TC-50. That is too cool. Do not attempt that with an RA100. I am definitely seeing more possibilities and learning of the versatility of the TC-50.

There are other features with the TC-50 worthy of mentioning. The footswitch controller, all three channels, FX loop, Reverb and solo. Love the solo feature. Also the amp uses the common master so you can balance all three channels which is becoming more common with many of the amps from Mesa. JP-2C has individual masters in case you were wondering. FX loop on the TC-50 I am very impressed with. I have a Strymon Ola Chorus and just did favor it until I tried it with the TC-50. Now that was nice. Big Sky reverb also sounded awesome. Now to make this clear, the TC-50 will not replace any amp as it is unique in many respects and I also have become attached to the others to make that decision. Perhaps on my death bed I will let go of them. WOW both amps are worthy of ownership. Only one is in current production.

tc-50%20with%20ra100_zpslmb4s1cu.jpg

All of this amp stuff got me sick in the head. Last night I decided to swap out the Celestion G12H75 creambacks with the original V30s (original in terms of the amp as I bought it, used but could tell the wires were re-soldered before I changed them). How do those sound again in an open back combo? Actually much better with good solder joints. I like the G12H75 but I also like the V30 too. They sound much louder than the creambacks and much better than I recall which is the reason I pulled them. That may be one reason why they came out of the 412 too as I use that mainly with the roadster. The one cab in the picture will remain stock until the speakers need to be replaced. I think I have given up on the speaker balloon for a while.

The way I see it, it is a win / win on both amps. Perhaps the TC-50 will not replace the RA, after all that is what it may be with some added features and a bit more tight feel and a boost on the bottom frequencies. Awesome amp in all respects. So waiting for a 100W version was pointless as I already have it and for the normal/tight switch, Mesa makes that in a floor pedal form called the grid slammer. New tubes in both amps and you are ready to go.

Actually even if the RA may be a bit loose on the bottom and weaker in the belly than the TC, they both make great complements to each other, say one for rhythm and the other for lead or vice versa. Still have not ordered the 6V6 tubes yet but that will come soon enough.

By request, the Creambacks are now back into the RA combo. I actually like them with the TC-50. If I had an open back 212 I would probably settle on the creambacks. Definitely want to get a pair of Redbacks but I am not sure the reasoning behind the want.... 2 inch voice coil should have a bit more bottom end.

I really need to try my TC-50 with my WGS British Lead speakers. Those combined with my Dyne give me the tone I've heard in my head all my life - hence making the Dyne my favorite amp ever. But, I am guessing using the TC-50 with that cab might change my opinion. So many options, so little time!

I have to admit, the TC-50 sounded good with the EV speaker. I cannot share the same with the RA. Definitely a difference in the final drive of each amp. Power supply differences may be the reason behind it. If you have speakers, go for it. I am actually favoring the G12H75 Cream backs in the RA combo. Still the vertical 212 is my favorite with the TC.

I love both of my RA100's (head and combo) but dang, the TC-50 with the 6V6 just moved that amp into a different level. :shock:
Now I get easily confused when I come home from work. I am having difficulty which amp to play through before I gab my guitar off its stand.

Today another saga..... I swapped the 6V6 from the TC-50 with the EL34 so I could run both the TC-50 and RA100 in parallel. Since I got the Lehle P-splitter II, I had to try it with the TC and RA. It was an incredible experience running the JP-2C in parallel to the Mark V. It was long over due to try two slightly different amps but in the same or similar class.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Now I know there is a heaven. I ran the RA100 combo from the isolated output and the direct line went to the TC-50. I had the volumes balanced as good as it gets and WOW. Clean sounded more robust and full. LO channel on both amps in tandem was incredible. Hi channel on both amps was just indescribable. I am hooked on this stereo kick. Sure it is a mono signal but if you want some tinge of ambience hit the phase switch on the isolated output and a new world of sound awaits. No signal cancellation at all. The blend of the two amps is probably the best thing I have heard yet, aside fro the JP and V in parallel using the same method. I also ordered the Lehle little amp switcher that has stereo inputs. Never made full use of my stereo pedals due to issue with ground loops and such. Not that will change soon enough. I can also use it the P-splitter and use the iso output as the center channel to the TC-50, and feed the direct out to a stereo pedal for the stereo effect on the two RA100s. Triphonic sound if there is such a word. More like wet/dry/wet rig. Will also use the FXloop on the TC-50 and see what happens.

The TC-50 can step on the RA100 easily. But the converse is true in that regard. A mix of the two in tandem is where the best sound characteristics come out from both.

Now that I have had more time with the TC-50, many hours on the stock tubes, the temptations have set in as to what does this tube sound like? Can I tune the preamp circuit to get similar results as I am getting with the RA100?... Probably not. I did try the same preamp tube arrangement for the Hi and Lo gain tube positions (TC-50 is V3 +V4 where as the RA100 is V1+V2). I did not notice a dramatic effect or change in tone with any tube. I may have been the cause for the TC-50 going silent when I tried a 12AT7 in V4 for a brief moment. However the amp was working just fine following that. I did find the problem and since it was an easy fix I repaired it myself. (was not a tube issue but resistor on the preamp circuit for the FX Send circuit).

Now that it is up and running again I was able to revisit the comparison between the RA100 and the TC-50. They both sound quite similar, overall. There are some differences, RA100 clean channel is a bit warmer but about the same and pushing the gain all the way up is still heavenly. TC-50 gets close in normal mode but sounds better with the CH1 mode switch set to drive. At that point you are entering the RA vintage low gain characteristic. The lo gain channel of the TC is similar to blending the Vintage Lo and Vintage Hi or it sit between the two. CH3 on the TC is definitely a grinding machine but sounds even better with the gain rolled off a bit (trade some distortion for a bit of headroom) and that just does it for me, nice.

I like the fact that both amps are not identical in tonal qualities as it gives both amps a purpose. Now the fun part, blend both amps together and the world comes to a stand-still but time just rips by... That is by far the most incredible sound I have ever heard. It is like a new amp on its own. I have one of those Lehle P split II devices (signal splitter with isolated transformer output, phase inverter and ground lift). That device has some great uses to it and besides preventing ground loop noises when running two tube ands from one guitar it can also be used as a master/slave driver from the FX loop of the master amp, signal sent to the return of the slave amp. While I was debugging the problem I had with the TC-50 I found the FX return to still be functional, so I slaved the amp from the RA100 with the Lehle splitter. I also got one of the amp switches that has the same isolation transformer deal. Now It is time to run a comparison between the two (separately and at the same time). Perhaps I will add drums and bass to hide my mistakes in my guitar playing. for some reason when it is all bad it sound good... sort of anyway.

Bandit2013, thanks for the description of your experience with the TC-50. I recently demo'd one and was blown away by the tone and immediacy of the sound jumping from the amp. Currently saving up for the combo.

The TC-50 is a worthwhile investment as is the RA100. If comparing the combo versions, I would rather pick up a TC-50 combo and carry that vs the RA100 combo. At least the RA100 combo can be managed by two people due to the side handles. Even the RA100 head is a bear. At first I was unsure the TC-50 was the amp for me, I also had a similar thing with the JP-2C out of box too. It did not take long to admire both amps. To be honest, the TC-50 was getting more attention than my other amps including the JP-2C. Most in part due to the clean channel and the range of gain characteristic overall. The best part is just a simple switch on the CH1 to go from blues or just simply clean to classic rock without channel jumping. Too bad that is not a programmable feature on the midi control. With the RA100 you need to push the gain for classic rock on the clean channel and then dial it back for clean picking or what ever you think would work with that. The best hidden feature of the TC-50 (well not hidden actually) is the 6V6 power tube, that in itself is an experience to take part in (that is a stout 25W and it sounds incredible).

When I was considering my first Mesa purchase, the RA100 was near the top of my list. But, I wound up getting the Electra Dyne, and I don't regret that choice. I have talked with players that use the RA100, and they love their amps, but also raised their eyebrows when I told them I used the Electra Dyne.

My decision for the TC50 was based on 2 different factors. The first being that it was an EL34-based 50 watt head, stock. The second was the ability to use 6V6 tubes as well. Since one of my bands plays music from the 50s and 60s, a 6V6 powered amp is ideal for that vintage juicy tone. Not only that, but channels 2 and 3 are equally as impressive with 6V6 tubes. I have another 6V6 based amp that simply won't clean up enough on it's clean channel, so it sits around collecting dust now. But, the TC50 gets used ALL the time. There are some amazing tones available with 6V6 tubes. I would love to have an amp with a quad of those instead of a pair.

Now that I have the 5881s installed, well...that's all new territory for me.

The 5881 are a bit different, similar in some respects to the tone of the 6V6 but not in the bottom end. I though the 6V6 had a huge bottom end going. 5881 do not seem to tune out the midrange like the 6L6 STR440 tubes do. It is hard to decide what tube is ideal but you have options with the TC-50, three independent channels and three flavors of tubes.... That make the amp more versatile than the others which includes the Mark V too. RA100 is awesome but not with the Mesa 6L6 tubes. SED =C= is really great 6L6 tube in the RA100 and does have a similar character to it when compared to the =C= EL34. Bottom is not as tight as it is with the TC-50.

I hope it will not take too long for the TC-50 to get repaired. Since my warranty was void, I should have just asked them to send me the parts and I will do the work myself.

Latest posts

Back