The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 pm 
Mark I

And after thinking about it for 2 minutes I just preordered the Invective. F-it! Lol

Mark 5:25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:48 am 
Dual Recto

Deadpool_25 wrote:
And after thinking about it for 2 minutes I just preordered the Invective. F-it! Lol

After your last post, I had to find out for myself what the Invective was. Are you going to get the matching cab with it too?

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 am 
Dual Recto

Deadpool_25 wrote:

After your last post, I had to find out for myself what the Invective was. Are you going to get the matching cab with it too Double post..... sorry this happened automatically.

Last edited by bandit2013 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:07 pm 
Mark I

bandit2013 wrote:
Deadpool_25 wrote:

After your last post, I had to find out for myself what the Invective was. Are you going to get the matching cab with it too?

Nah, I'll just use one (or two?) of my Mesa cabs. I have 2 horizontal recto cabs and one vertical. I am considering swapping a V30 out of one and putting a Creamback in there. At least that way I have the speaker combo of the matching Peavey cab.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:44 am 
Dual Recto

It appears that the Invective cab is using two 8 ohm speakers and running them in series for a mono 16 ohm load. Perhaps that would sound better than running both V30 and G12H-75 in parallel.

I have both 8 ohm V30 and G12H75 CB. ran them in series /parallel and parallel/ series in the 412 cab. That did not overwhelm me as the tone of the V30 was the dominant speaker. Tried this with the V30 on one side and the G12H75 on the other just to experiment with arrangement, even did the x pattern. Perhaps in a 212 arrangement would work better if the tone of the cab has good bottom end to it (did the same with a V30 mixed with G12H75 in the RA100 combo, preferred both speakers the same. Personal preference I guess. Many who are using the CB G12H75 or even the G12H65 have had great results mixed with the V30. That just did not work out for me.

The pine cabinet will also contribute to the tonal character vs the Baltic Birch plywood since the softer would will resonate more than the layers of plies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:09 pm 
Mark I

Yeah I have heard good things about the V30/CB combo. I think usually I hear good things about it in terms of 2x12s but I'll have to look closer. I suspect the Invective will sound great though an all V30 Mesa cab too. Im just curious about the CB. Im not sure I want to spring for the Invective cab right away but I just might. Maybe I'll sell off one Mesa horizontal cab. It's more a matter of not wanting too many cabs laying around the house.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:47 pm 
Dual Recto

When mounted in a 212 cab, the V30 is a power house. I have no desire to remove one in either of my 212 cabs at the moment.. V30 in the 412 is not as bold as found in the 212 either vert or horizontal. Could be related to the cavity size of the cabinet but sounds punchy enough. I did mount a quad of the CB G12H75 in my older OS recto. different response in the mid range bottom end was not as disruptive and the top end has a hint of roll off. However the real differences between the V30 and the CB G12H75 seems to be the lower volume characteristic. V30 has a fizzy tone (especially in an open back cab like the RA100 Combo) and the CG G12H75 does not. I have a pair in my RA100, took them out and installed the originals and thought why change back... deleted a recording I have on sound cloud and had to install them again to recreate it. Actually the CB G12H75 sounded way better when I put them back in than when they did when I removed them. Guess I had to have the V30 installed to realize the difference in the application.

Here is a poor example of the difference between V30 and the CB G12H75. First two sections were recoded using the RA100 combo with stock tubes. Third block of noodling was the TC-50 pushing the RA100 combo speakers and the fourth was the Vert 212 cab with V30 (I should have re-adjusted the amp settings due to the difference of the tone of the cab vs the combo but I did not so it got a bit muddy due to my bass setting on the TC-50). If you have not seen this one yet, here it is. Just noodling and trying to keep things similar so one could jump around on the time line to compare. I commented the timeline to indicate what channel I was in (do not remember if I indicated bridge or neck pickups though). Next recording I do I will confirm my guitar is in tune.

https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/r ... cb-tc50wav

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:21 pm 
Mark I

Right on man. Cool noodling. The TC-50 is so good. If I hadn't been jonesing for that Peavey high gain tone I wouldn't bother with the Invective. But I have so I am. Haha. The Invective cab is also a bit bigger than the Recto. So that will have an effect as well. Talking about it, I'm starting to consider getting the Invective cab just to see how it is. Guess I'll put a horizontal Recto up for sale.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:17 pm 
Dual Recto

It is all good... I for some reason cannot get away from Mesa...... I blame it all on the Mark III combo. I had that amp for 23 years and it looked and performed as well as it did when new (almost since I could not get the RCA 6CA7 and the Sylvania 6L6GC which is what it shipped with from Mesa back in 1989). That amp was gigged and served me well over the years. Then I got the Mark IV combo in 2000. 12 years later came the Mark V, RA100, Roadster, RA100 combo, JP-2C and finally the TC-50. My house looks almost like a Mesa store but I do not have the other models to go with it.

Amps I had considered: Marshall JVM410, PRS Archon. Never really looked at Peavey as most I have seen locally were the lower end units. The Invective sounds interesting. When you get it, do tell how it fits your needs and how it compares to what you have now....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:36 am 
Mark I

bandit2013 wrote:
It is all good... I for some reason cannot get away from Mesa...... I blame it all on the Mark III combo. I had that amp for 23 years and it looked and performed as well as it did when new (almost since I could not get the RCA 6CA7 and the Sylvania 6L6GC which is what it shipped with from Mesa back in 1989). That amp was gigged and served me well over the years. Then I got the Mark IV combo in 2000. 12 years later came the Mark V, RA100, Roadster, RA100 combo, JP-2C and finally the TC-50. My house looks almost like a Mesa store but I do not have the other models to go with it.

Amps I had considered: Marshall JVM410, PRS Archon. Never really looked at Peavey as most I have seen locally were the lower end units. The Invective sounds interesting. When you get it, do tell how it fits your needs and how it compares to what you have now....

Mesas are amps that we grow up thinking, maybe one day I can own one of those. They're just awesome. They always seem top shelf and classy, even if they're ripping your face off in a metal band. You don't really see the super cheap, made-for-casual-player Mesas. Other major brands almost always have those items in their lineups. Marshall MG or Code, Fender Mustang, Line 6, Peavey Vypyr, even Vox. But Mesa never seems to go that route. Just serious gear for serious musicians (and wannabes like me). Love me some Mesa.

I had a JVM 410. Sold it. Was not that impressed with it. The Archon looks great. Metal is just one of the many types of music I listen to and the 5150 is a benchmark for metal tone. I've always dug their very unique tone. I wish I knew why they sound so different than other amps.

I live somewhat of a spartan life, trying not to have too much clutter and "stuff" around the house. I also like to keep things as simple as I can. Ideally I'd have one really sweet tube amp that is excellent at any genre's tones. Jazz, pop, rock, blues, metal, etc. The TC-50 seems to fit the bill. The 6L6s get me into Recto territory; that's another benchmark for metal imo. Still, that something about the 5150 tone...I neeeeeed it. Lol

I'll definitely compare them when I eventually get the Invective in. Right now, they say they're expecting mid August arrival. Misha said the delays on in production so those things can draw out a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:26 pm 
Dual Recto

Perhaps that is why I have a few Mesa of different caliber. Have to have clean no matter what amp it is. Reverb too but most pedals will do. Most of all it should be able to shake the house when you need it too. I think my issue was chasing a tone I had with my Mark III but I gave up many years ago but kept the amp, Actually it was not until after I got the Mark IV is when I stopped, inured my left arm and could not even pick up a guitar. Took 8 years if not longer. I started playing again in 2012 after selling the Mark III. Missed it and only the JP-2C was savvy to quench the tone. No I can even get the Mark V to sound the same with a simple tube swap. That is ideal and it has more flavors than the JP. Still that one is hard to beat for a Mark amp.

I have two non mesa amps at my disposal, Carvin V3MC (it is okay but drving a 412 it sounds impressive but depends on what tubes you have in it). The other is a Mark Bass combo amp with a 4x10 cab. Was not sure if I was going to like playing bass all that much when I started a few years ago. Now I am playing drums (sort of). Not quite Spartan but everything fits well in the room I converted into a studio. Have the Rolland kit all boxed up now that I have gone acoustic. Debating if I want to sell it or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:45 am 
Mark I

Right on. I can barely play guitar so I have to focus on one thing at a time. Lol. I'd love to learn drums though.

I went ahead and ordered the Invective cab. According to SW it'll ship out well before the head. Regardless, I have the TC-50 and am still loving it. Lately I've been working on learning some jazz chords. Straight into the amp with a bit of reverb and it sounds fantastic. I may plug into the 5:25 and do the same thing just to give it some love. It's super versatile too but slightly limited in that I can't run Fat and Crunch on separate channels. The 5:25 with 3 channels (Clean/Fat, Crunch/IIC+, IV/Xtreme) and MIDI control would be even more awesome than it already is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 am 
Dual Recto

Playing the drums almost seems quite easy as anyone can hit drum heads and stomp on a kick pedal. Making it sound great is the difficult part. Helps develop different hand and leg coordination plus it is good exercise at the same time. I never broke a sweat playing guitar but the drums, definitely. Since I am composing music (assuming you can call it that) it helps to understand how the melody works with or against the other instruments used in a rock band. I am having fun regardless and that is the important part of it all.

I did blend the TC-50 with the Roadster the other day using an isolated splitter. That was interesting. I have also combined it with the Mark V combo as that in itself is also a different sound. Running the RA100 in parallel to the TC-50 just sounds amazing as both amps are similar and yet slightly different.