Triple Crown TC-50 MIDI 256 presets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
Hi all.
Its mentioned that the TC has MIDI with up to 256 presets:
"MIDI Switchable/Programmable via Control Change and Program Change messages, with 256 Preset Location"

Is it actually midi presets storage like on a multi FX meaning different voicing, Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Reverb etc. per preset or is it only channel switching (Ch. 1, 2, 3, Reverb, FX Loop & Solo)?
In other words, can I save 256 different sounds on this amp?
Thanks.

Surprised no one has chimed in here.

Amp-setting configurations such as Channel, FX Loop, Reverb, etc. can be set and recalled from MIDI locations, not tone settings.

~Icarusuki

Since I have yet to download the manual (let alone take the plunge for the purchase), what about the Normal vs Tight and Normal vs Drive mini toggles? Would the midi presets be able to store those settings, or no?

I think I have answered my own question. I downloaded the manual and it stated only amp channel, effects loop, reverb, and solo can be controlled via midi. That's kind of a bummer to me, but it won't stop me from buying one. I can always add a little gain to the clean channel with a pedal, but to be able to switch normal to tight on the fly would have been awesome.

My hopes for the TC-50's midi was the equivalent of a Triaxis, but, alas... But, even still, it's going to allow me to retire my Mastermind Mini Amp Gizmo (which is currently driving my MkV from a MasterMind LT). Its a good step in the right direction for Mesa

The Mesa Official Demo of the TC-50 on YouTube has a response from MESA about the MIDI controls:
"The MIDI function controls Channels, Reverb, FX Loop and Solo but it does not save information of the rotary controls. Those remain full analog/manual pots."

So I guess this begs the question:
What's the benefit of the midi controls on the amp if all those functions are already available on the supplied footswitch? Is it just of use if you happen to use a multi-effects unit and want to control the amp channels, reverb, loop, and solo from that same unit through a midi connection? Or is there some other benefit to spending further money for a midi footswitch controller beyond that?

I bought a TC-50 used but it's not here yet so I can't play with it. It's supposed to arrive next week, so now I'm trying to figure out if I want to start looking at MIDI gear to add to the setup.

Anybody out there using the MIDI functionality? What for? Is there a "best" MIDI controller out there that provides other functionality? I'm not a fan of the multi effects units I've used...went back to discrete pedals twice and sold off multi-effects units. They always sounded muffled and shitty and killed the responsiveness of guitar tone and volume controls, in my opinion.

I use my TC50 in a multi-amp rig, along side an LSS, and MKV:35, with an amp gizmo and other midi devices, so using midi to control the amp functions are "mandatory" in this kind of set-up.

if your using just one tc-50 in a "footpedal" type setup, you might be able to get away with not using the midi features.

but, sometimes a small midi rig, with a small switching system, can help make a gig easier and your sound more "professional" when you can press one footswitch and change sounds in an "instant". of course ymmv... just my .02 cents :p

peace

Yep, you get to switch channels, enable reverb and FXloop with the midi so if you had a specific effect that you want to use with CH3 but not on the others you can set it up to either switch off the FXloop when the channel changes or if you effect has midi feature that does store settings and such you can have one setting of the effect with one channel and have it change to something else with another channel, or turn on another midi controlled effect that is completely different for the clean channel and so on. This midi control becomes more usable when running more than one amp if that has midi as well. If I had two TC-50s I could get away with using one footswitch to control both amps at the same time. However, it is not directly cross compatible with the other Mesa amp that has the midi function (JP-2C) which is a bummer as I wanted to get the FX loop switching with the footswitch if I were to daisy chain a midi cable between the two amps. Channels would work but the other commands would result in mismatch of controllable features. I would have to use the solo switch in order to activate the FXloop on the JP if I used the TC-50 footswitch. Also the footswitch from the JP will not plug into the TC-50 or vice versa. Modes and control settings are not stored. One exception with the JP is that shred mode can be switched via midi as well as each of the EQs . Using a midi controller would open up a new avenue of making a compound pedal fest into just stepping on one control button. I only have two pedals that are midi controllable so I am not jumping in on the midi thing just yet.

Thanks guys. The amp gizmo looks interesting. I've gotta look more into midi switchers for pedal effects. I've not been happy with multi-effects units I've tried before. Plus the notion of running the Mark V and TC-50 and controlling those 6 channels could be worth it...

I've mostly simplified my rig to limit pedal use but it would be awesome to have a whole drawer full of effects available at the tap of a footswitch, pre-programmed.
I tried multi-effects units but could never get into the sterile sound. I do have a lot of effects pedals but mostly the go unused or used sparingly at home due to the tap dance limitations.

Anybody out there using the MIDI functionality? What for? Is there a "best" MIDI controller out there that provides other functionality? I'm not a fan of the multi effects units I've used

I use my TC50 together with FRACTAL AX8 in 4CM runing via midi, amp sound + FX from the FRACTAL, all clicking togther and when i swich a preset over the AX it also calls the desired channel over the TC.
Works very good.

Latest posts

Back