The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:24 am 
Dual Recto

Well that was and still is my reaction to the JP-2C. Perhaps I should wait for the honeymoon to be over before cheating with another amp. :roll:
So far no mini JP-2C so I can part my ways if I need too. Unfortunately there were two children with the Mark V so I am paying for it at the moment.
I doubt I will ever get an annulment so the JP-2C is a keeper.

So far I only flirted with the TC-50. Next time around I will have to open it up and really dig into it. Actually I may just do mail order again as I did with the JP and the Roadster. The two RA's were just two prostitutes wanting some attention at a reasonable price. Still thinking of getting a divorce from the Mark V but so much has been invested that I fear there would be more loss than any gains.

I need to ask, is the TC-50 FX loop instrument level compliant? The Mark V was the only let down in that area. Heck I let go of most of my gear due to that. Oh well, having new gear is a good thing.... sounds better than the old stuff I had with the Mark IV.

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:40 pm 
Donating Member

bandit2013 wrote:
I need to ask, is the TC-50 FX loop instrument level compliant? The Mark V was the only let down in that area. Heck I let go of most of my gear due to that. Oh well, having new gear is a good thing.... sounds better than the old stuff I had with the Mark IV.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this - but the TC-50 sounds great to me with the loop in use or disabled. No different from the experience using the JP-2C, Mark V:25, or Rectoverb 25. It just sounds excellent.

Unlike my first JP-2C, the fx loop also sounds great switching between the higher gain channels and the clean channel, too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:55 pm 
Dual Recto

I love delays, but most of what I had when I bought the Mark V really killed the tone when the loop was engaged and the delay active (not in bypass). All that I had bought over the years (from 1990 to 2004) that I used with no issue with the Mark III and the Mark IV just sounded like crap though the Mark V. I had tossed some of the old gear I had (I literally threw it away or gave it to someone without asking for anything in return). Bought a couple of other delays, Line6 DL4, TC Electrionic Flasback. Both of those were tone suckers in the FX loop (line6 was more dramatic than the TC) of the Mark V (did not matter how low I set the send level). More reading about what is up with that, only to find that the Mark V fx-loop to be more at line level than instrument level. So I went the Strymon route with all of my effects (except a Boss Tera Echo which worked great on any of my amps). Not that it matters any more but I would assume the TC-50 is similar to the JP-2C in the send level (note: I can use both the Line6 DL4 and the TC flashback without loosing tone due to overdriving the input buffers on both pedals, i.e. no clipping of the signal. Those pedals also work with the Roadster and the RA100's.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:53 pm 
Dual Recto

The more reviews I see on-line on this new amp, the more I want one.

Incentive to do my taxes and see what my return will be....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:35 am 
Donating Member

bandit2013 wrote:
The more reviews I see on-line on this new amp, the more I want one.

Incentive to do my taxes and see what my return will be....

...links?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:17 am 
Dual Recto

Links.... this is what I found thus far.....

you probably have seen these.... I like the sweetwater video as Mitch reveals a bit more on the controls than the others. Fluff does a great job as well. The demo or reviews are dynamic and not static like most of the demos I have seen. Of course there are Mesa demos, and others.... I say yours as well.

Found on youtube: dynamic reviews (run though the channel features and adjustment of controls)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mes ... ORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mes ... ORM=VDFSRV

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mes ... ORM=VDFSRV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:51 am 
Dual Recto

When I am considering a new amp, I would prefer a run down on the controls and how they react with the overall sound as it gives you more of a feel how the amp will fit your needs. Videos like that is what sold me on the JP-2C and the Roadster. As for the Mark V and RA100, I had a chance to play though them before buying. I did have a chance to play the TC-50 but at reduced volume. I was not ready to buy at that time but the experience was promising. I just could not find a guitar I was comfortable with when I tried it out and I did not travel with one of my electrics when I was on vacation (took the acoustic instead even though I was planning on trying out the TC-50).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:31 am 
Mark II

Hi,

What exactly did this "tone sucking" sound like on the Mark V with the TC ElectronicFlashback? I have both and have not noticed this tone sucking. I have noticed that that there is a slight boost in volume (maybe 1-2 dB) when I engage the loop with the footswitch. This boost is there no matter where I set the "send level" knob on the back of the Mark V. The Flashback is in hard bypass mode (no buffer). Maybe I should try just a cable between send and receive on the Mark V to see if the volume boost is still there (just though of that). TC Electronic advised to set the Flashback dip switches to "fully buffered" to see if the slight boost is still there, but I haven't done that yet.

It would be interesting to hear any examples you have of your Mark V and the Flashback only in the loop, comparing the Flashback's sound with other amps you have.

I have a TC-50 combo on order, that's why I'm hanging out around here.

Later,

Mace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:28 pm 
Dual Recto

Mace,
The "tone sucking" as others have stated in the Mark V forums (90W version only) may have been a result of those using effects that they have acquired over the years, or may indeed be a new pedal that was design based on a set standard for instrument level signals. All of my rack mount gear that I had acquired over the past few decades is gone as I found it useless with the Mark V (at the time, this was the it amp for me).

Line6 DL4: I worked in the loop but compressed the original signal considerably. When the delay was turned on, it almost sounded like a 3dB drop in signal level. When it was switch to bypass sounded like a 3dB boost. Tone was muffled and repeats were muddy. Why I did not complain much is that it removed the ice pick on the top end. When I got into recording and attempting to use the delay on the clean channel, the same issue would result but distorted tone and muddy. Good sign you are clipping the input buffer. This could not be dialed out with the send level control on the back panel. Pedal sounded great with my other Mesa amps including the Mark IV. Now using it with the bass amp.

The TC Flashback (triple, has a crown on the faceplate) was not quite as dramatic in signal loss or compression but it was noticeable. However, what was bothersome was the crackle effect due to overloaded input. Repeats had random static in signal. Fizzy on the clean channel.

Both delays sounded great though all of my other amps (Roadster, RA100, JP-2C and even a Carvin V3MC). Ever since I have had this sour experience with the Mark V (amongst is other issues) makes one question other products that have been released afterwards by Mesa. What is the norm if the flagship Mark series amp is not compatible with standard guitar effects? I will ask the question but will take longer to respond as to the reason why.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:45 pm 
Mark II

FWIW, I have a Helix and an FX8. Both of those sound completely transparent in the Mark V and TC-50 loops. I've tested it as such, bypassing the loops completely.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:30 pm 
Donating Member

IMO, the Mark V sounded best with the loop bypassed. Even with nothing plugged into the loop there was a slight alteration to the tone of the amp just having it in the audio path. It shouldn't be any real surprise since it adds circuitry to the path, and nothing is truly transparent. I found the effects loop tended to round the tone a bit whereas bypassed it was a little more raw, edgy and aggressive.

That said, I typically used the amp with the effects loop engaged since I liked a little delay at times and I felt it was well worth the compromise.

| Les Paul | McCarty | Custom 24 | CE 22 |
| D800 | Dual Rectifier | Electra Dyne | Rectoverb:25 | Strategy 8:88 |
| Powerhouse 410 | Recto 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 | Subway 112, 115 |

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:57 am 
Mark III

jnoel64 wrote:
dlpasco wrote:

TAKE THE BLUE PILL ;)

And keep your doctor on speed dial in case your reaction lasts longer than 4 hours.

Hitting it with the back of a cold tea spoon helps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:28 pm 
Donating Member

screamingdaisy wrote:
IMO, the Mark V sounded best with the loop bypassed. Even with nothing plugged into the loop there was a slight alteration to the tone of the amp just having it in the audio path. It shouldn't be any real surprise since it adds circuitry to the path, and nothing is truly transparent. I found the effects loop tended to round the tone a bit whereas bypassed it was a little more raw, edgy and aggressive.

That said, I typically used the amp with the effects loop engaged since I liked a little delay at times and I felt it was well worth the compromise.

This. Totally.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:35 pm 
Bottle Rocket

My TC50 head (replacing a MkV head) is apparently a month away from showing up here and it's driving me a little crazy :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:04 am 
Dual Recto

I will bend to my desires once again...... I will have to wait until I rebuild my "funding for more gear" account. Then again, I still have to do my taxes and may get a boost in my spending money. Trying to be conservative as my disposable income is not as much as I think it is...

I thought you only needed the blue pill if you have an ED. I have two Royal Atlantic amps....should I take the red pill instead? That being said, I see the TC-50 has a foot switchable FX loop :P where as the JP-2C does not... :cry: Sure I can control it with midi if I had a midi controller. So I am in on the TC-50, it is just a matter of when that will be. If it blows me away like the JP-2C I may end up with another blog.... sorry about that one in the JP-2C forum but I love that amp so much why not express what I feel about it. I need to learn how to post in less than 10 words. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next