The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 pm 
Mark III

With my ED, instead of a blue pill, I use a red box (BB Preamp). It always rises to the occasion.

EVM, Eminence, and WGS speakers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:19 am 
Mark III

I'm actually seriously thinking of checking out the TC-50. I'm curious I have a RKII and a MKV35 already, how would you guys compare the TC to these two amps? Just a different flavour I'm guessing?

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:18 am 
Donating Member

paulg2uk wrote:
I'm actually seriously thinking of checking out the TC-50. I'm curious I have a RKII and a MKV35 already, how would you guys compare the TC to these two amps? Just a different flavour I'm guessing?

Cheers

Paul

I'm not ignoring this - still trying to articulate an answer. If you can afford to have three amps for awhile I would suggest it. They aren't all the same, there's a lot of common ground, and they are all awesome. You may need to decide for yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:29 am 
Single Recto

paulg2uk wrote:

Cheers

Paul
I have TA-15 I really like. But I asked myself "As much I like my TA-15 with two modes in one channel, three modes in the other channel independent, tone controls, no-frills, low-power to push the power tubes. BUT I wish it had a presence control like a Vox AC30, I wish either H1 or H2 mode was a "scoop" sound, don't need both modes and wish "scoop" mode had its own set of tone controls, so basically a three channel amp. And reverb" Maybe T-30 was to more liking with reverb,

...well guess what? Triple Crown was my answer to my dream amp. Yeah, 50 watts is more than 25 watts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:01 am 
Mark III

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I think I'm gonna go and try one and see for myself. That's the trouble isn't it? because its a Boogie you know its gonna sound awesome lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:44 pm 
Dual Recto

TC-50 is definitely different than the Mark V:35 or the RKII. Maybe it is more similar to the Mark V:35 but I have not played through one to compare. Very close to the RA100 but only better.... I just wish I let it rip when I tried one out but feared I would have to take it home with me......Perhaps in a few months I will have one.

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 pm 
Mark II

bandit2013 wrote:
The TC Flashback (triple, has a crown on the faceplate) was not quite as dramatic in signal loss or compression but it was noticeable. However, what was bothersome was the crackle effect due to overloaded input. Repeats had random static in signal. Fizzy on the clean channel.

Not to hijack the thread, but maybe the Flashbacks are different. I've got the X4 and don't have a "tone suck" issue in the Mark V loop (late 2011 Mark V build). Anyway, I will certainly compare it with the TC-50 whenever it arrives! It seems they are hard to get ahold of! I hope Mesa isn't sacrificing quality to push out the TC-50s quickly.

Mace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:52 pm 
Dual Recto

No problem. All of my pedals work well with the other Mesa amps. Mark V is the only exception ( I doubt I would miss it if I sold it as I barely use it any more).

The TC-50 is really eating at me...... so when do I get it? Hopefully soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:45 am 
Mark IV

The Channel masters on the TC-50 also set the Efects send level according to the manual. So if you are overloading a pedals input you can reduce the send level.

I'm using a Flaschback with my TC and so far have not noticed any issues with the channel masters at 12:00. The TC loop certainly suffers less tone suck than the RA-100, which is still very good and only just perceivable to me if I look for it.

Express 5:25 1x12 combo
JCM800 2203
Deluxe reverb reissue
Traditional 2x12, 4x10 and 23" 1x12 cabs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 am 
Dual Recto

As far as effects are concerned, I no longer use those that gave me grief with the Mark V. Those of which I decided to keep I use with my bass rig (typically delays). Now that I have a nice complement of Strymon Effects (DIG delay, Brigadier delay, Ola Chorus, Big Sky reverb, and the OB.1 compressor) work with all of my amps and even my Tascam Recorder in its line level loops. I still have my Boss Terra Echo which never had a problem with the higher level of the Mark V and works equally well with everything else, all is good. The Line6 DL4 works best with the bass rig, I have lost interest in using the TC-flashback. And for amps that do not have a 5 band EQ I have the Mesa 5 band EQ (will not work with the Mark V as I tried it for S&G's). I generally do not use any effects when I am just playing or practicing but when I record and need separation between the Rhythm and Lead I pull the delays out. The Reverb pedal is also cool for an effect in the loop as it does more than just reverb.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:51 am 
Mark III

I test drove the TC-50 and it was not that I was not impressed. I'm a working musician and it would fit very well into what I do. It is a straight forward amp and sounded great. A very non temperamental workhorse. I am very much into straight forward at gigs. I have a Mark V, I really like it and it is my 90% go to amp for jobs. The TC-50 gave me the impression that it may run out of poop at bigger jobs, outdoor gigs etc. It may be lacking head room. Last year, the band I am in, we were testing out having two guitarists for a bit and at an outdoor gig the other guitarist brought a 40watt Budda and it couldn't cut it. We do not play very loud but outdoors you gota cover. The 40 watt Budda was fine up close but got lost out in the crowd.

The TC-50... I may pick one up at 50watts but I am waiting to see if a 100watt version is released. I would like the head room.

Two 2X12 Vert. Cabs.
Two 2x12 Compact Cabs.
Telecasters, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Howard Roberts Jazz Fusion and many more.
http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Peter_Savell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:09 am 
Mark IV

I've got an out door gig in the next few weeks so we will see (probably won't be using the clean channel for any of the songs though). I don't have any fear of running out of head room at this stage, though may need to get the amp up on a stand to help it project. During some testing today the output control ended up at 3:00 (channel master 2:00). Clean tone was not completely pristine, but I was surprised when I hit the strings harder that it was still very dynamic and not overly compressed. Volume level was very loud... My TC came with blue power tubes which are at the hot end and theoretically should hold on longer. I'll have to try a cooler set like yellow and see what the difference is.

The 6V6 tubes are noticeably less loud and seem compress harder than the EL34s. The tone is defnately sweeter.

Express 5:25 1x12 combo
JCM800 2203
Deluxe reverb reissue
Traditional 2x12, 4x10 and 23" 1x12 cabs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:33 am 
Dual Recto

Found this demo on the TC-50. Interesting.... :roll:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=me ... ORM=VDFSRV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 am 
Dual Recto

Here is a dumb idea, but it is the thought that counts..... Since I could daisy chain two JP-2C amps thought the midi port and use only one footswitch to control both amps, how would this work if I were to say daisy chain the TC-50 and the JP-2C (using 60W).... looks like the same footswitch for both amps but will I get the FX loop to turn on and off if I am using the JP-2C footswitch to select the GEQ2, or if I were to use the TC-50 as the master what would happen if I hit the solo button or the FX loop? (would I only get ch1, ch2, ch2 and reverb control on the JP-2C?)....or are the commands mapped differently? I would love to have a switchable FX loop on the footswitch with the JP-2C but I can manage without it. Perhaps the question should be, could I use the footswitch for the TC-50 to control the JP or vise versa? I did not take out time to read the manual on the TC-50 yet but may do so to wet my appetite for this amp.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:39 pm 
Dual Recto

Here is an interesting question: for those who have the JP-2C and the TC-50....which one do you like better? (and to load the question)...and why?

My tax return was deposited much sooner than I had expected......I have this burning itch to take care of......Should I get it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next