The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:47 pm 
Dual Recto

I check in here once in a while. Have been busy with many other things. I made it back onto the forums a few days ago and this particular subject seems to be small compared to the growth of the JP-2C forum. The TC50 is a cool amp to have and I plan on getting one sooner or later.

Those that have one, how do you like it?

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm 
Donating Member

It'll probably take a few years to fully catch on.

| Les Paul | McCarty | Custom 24 | CE 22 |
| D800 | Dual Rectifier | Electra Dyne | Rectoverb:25 | Strategy 8:88 |
| Powerhouse 410 | Recto 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 | Subway 112, 115 |

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:13 am 
Donating Member

Like the RA, I'm not sure it will fully catch on. Daisy's right, tho. People were dying to buy a JP (or a IIC reissue), but the TC sales will likely build more slowly. Lots of competition at $2k as always.

Real nice amp, though.

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 am 
Donating Member

I think the RA was killed by the ED and the ED was killed by the RA. If forums are any indication there was a lot of product confusion at the time... and the economy at the time probably didn't help.

I like Mesa's marketing better this time around. Less cork sniffing and very little implication of British heritage in a way that caused constant comparisons to JMP/JCMs. They seem to be trying to position the TC50 as a rock amp with it's own voice. Plus... it looks like a Mesa.

| Les Paul | McCarty | Custom 24 | CE 22 |
| D800 | Dual Rectifier | Electra Dyne | Rectoverb:25 | Strategy 8:88 |
| Powerhouse 410 | Recto 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 | Subway 112, 115 |

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 pm 
Donating Member

+1 on the marketing.

The ED just couldn't rise to the occasion :lol:

It is my opinion that the Dyne was too limited for live work for many, and the RA was too late. Plus the "it's not a Mesa, it's a Brit amp" marketing may have hurt them. They could have called them Express amps, but I think they were trying something new to see what would happen.

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:24 pm 
Mark III

Funny, I've never had any difficulty getting my Dyne to rise to the occasion...
Elvis, have you tried slipping a little blue pill through the top vents of your ED?

EVM, Eminence, and WGS speakers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:55 pm 
Donating Member

I've had to call the doctor after occasions that have lasted more than 4 hours...

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 am 
Dual Recto

Is the 50W part of the issue? I would personally prefer a 100W as it would have more girth in its tone and longer resonance .... Does size really matter? Is the blue pill really necessary or is it all in the eye of the beholder? Perhaps having the ED may be psychosomatic on some occasions and if the performance is weak, it may not penetrate the mix properly.... :roll: (may also be one issue with the RA too, especially when the Roadster is in use at the same time, of course in full bold power as it seems too soft in spongy mode).

I never said that was funny.... :shock:

Perhaps my issue of not wanting to rush out and get one is that I recently purchased the JP-2C, two 2x12 cabinets (vertical and horizontal), and then an acoustic drum set,. I will think it over, perhaps by mid summer. Still need to get mics for the drum set and a mixer so I can record. I recently pulled the RA from the studio and have it next to the JP on the horizontal 2x12. RA sounds great, no reason to change so it is a keeper. More than likely I will get the TC-50 head.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:17 am 
Single Recto

screamingdaisy wrote:
I think the RA was killed by the ED and the ED was killed by the RA. If forums are any indication there was a lot of product confusion at the time... and the economy at the time probably didn't help.

I like Mesa's marketing better this time around. Less cork sniffing and very little implication of British heritage in a way that caused constant comparisons to JMP/JCMs. They seem to be trying to position the TC50 as a rock amp with it's own voice. Plus... it looks like a Mesa.

I would say more of the economy being bad, not to mention time and time again whenever Mesa Boogie brings out a model that isn't in the Rectifier nor Mark series, they tend to get forgotten about. Just like the Maverick model. Such a great model. There have been people that flogged off their Mavericks when you could still get them in production, went around trying many other amps, plugged back into their Mavericks, and found home again so to speak. We gearheads are funny like that sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:25 pm 
Donating Member

I thought the Maverick was a recto

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:18 pm 
Mark II

bandit2013 wrote:

Love it. I also have a Mark V. Love that too.

This forum never has been really busy compared to the larger, less specialized boards. And when you have an amp that isn't complex and doesn't need a lot of tweaking to sound great, you don't get a lot of folks rushing to the forum to find its secrets.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:46 pm 
Dual Recto

Karl Houseknecht wrote:
bandit2013 wrote:

This forum never has been really busy compared to the larger, less specialized boards. And when you have an amp that isn't complex and doesn't need a lot of tweaking to sound great, you don't get a lot of folks rushing to the forum to find its secrets.

I will buy that..... Not that the JP-2C has any secrets to discover. That amp blew me away the first time and still has me hooked. However, I joined up due to admiration of that amp in particular.

Now for the TC-50, tried one but not at desired levels that would have impressed me. Do I wait and see what becomes of this line or just get the TC-50 already and have some fun with a new amp. I liked the features that each channel offered ( sort of missing on the RA). Also the JP-2C is only a two and a half trick pony with slight changes between the two lead channels and a clean that has no dirt (still an awesome amp in my books and worth every penny). Still the TC-50 dishes out even more flavor with choice for EL-34, 6V6 or 6L6. I am in... but when will I take the plunge... do I push off the mic set and mixer for my new drums? So much for trying to keep a budget....or limit on what I spend on gear. My luck has it, I get the TC-50 and the following month or week, out comes the TC-100. :| Do I go for the red pill or the blue pill? How deep does this rabbit hole go anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:53 pm 
Donating Member

bandit2013 wrote:
Karl Houseknecht wrote:
bandit2013 wrote:

I will buy that..... Not that the JP-2C has any secrets to discover. That amp blew me away the first time and still has me hooked. However, I joined up due to admiration of that amp in particular.

Now for the TC-50, tried one but not at desired levels that would have impressed me. Do I wait and see what becomes of this line or just get the TC-50 already and have some fun with a new amp. I liked the features that each channel offered ( sort of missing on the RA). Also the JP-2C is only a two and a half trick pony with slight changes between the two lead channels and a clean that has no dirt (still an awesome amp in my books and worth every penny). Still the TC-50 dishes out even more flavor with choice for EL-34, 6V6 or 6L6. I am in... but when will I take the plunge... do I push off the mic set and mixer for my new drums? So much for trying to keep a budget....or limit on what I spend on gear. My luck has it, I get the TC-50 and the following month or week, out comes the TC-100. :| Do I go for the red pill or the blue pill? How deep does this rabbit hole go anyway?

TAKE THE BLUE PILL ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:25 am 
Single Recto

elvis wrote:
I thought the Maverick was a recto

It's under the Recto series, yes. But my point was it wasn't the Single and Dual Recto tones that metalheads were looking for. It had it's own great tone, but it was ignored by many

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:21 am 
Mark III

dlpasco wrote:

TAKE THE BLUE PILL ;)

And keep your doctor on speed dial in case your reaction lasts longer than 4 hours.

EVM, Eminence, and WGS speakers