Was hoping for this forum to grow more....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I check in here once in a while. Have been busy with many other things. I made it back onto the forums a few days ago and this particular subject seems to be small compared to the growth of the JP-2C forum. The TC50 is a cool amp to have and I plan on getting one sooner or later.

Those that have one, how do you like it?

Like the RA, I'm not sure it will fully catch on. Daisy's right, tho. People were dying to buy a JP (or a IIC reissue), but the TC sales will likely build more slowly. Lots of competition at $2k as always.

Real nice amp, though.

I think the RA was killed by the ED and the ED was killed by the RA. If forums are any indication there was a lot of product confusion at the time... and the economy at the time probably didn't help.

I like Mesa's marketing better this time around. Less cork sniffing and very little implication of British heritage in a way that caused constant comparisons to JMP/JCMs. They seem to be trying to position the TC50 as a rock amp with it's own voice. Plus... it looks like a Mesa.

+1 on the marketing.

The ED just couldn't rise to the occasion :lol:

It is my opinion that the Dyne was too limited for live work for many, and the RA was too late. Plus the "it's not a Mesa, it's a Brit amp" marketing may have hurt them. They could have called them Express amps, but I think they were trying something new to see what would happen.

Funny, I've never had any difficulty getting my Dyne to rise to the occasion...
Elvis, have you tried slipping a little blue pill through the top vents of your ED?

Is the 50W part of the issue? I would personally prefer a 100W as it would have more girth in its tone and longer resonance .... Does size really matter? Is the blue pill really necessary or is it all in the eye of the beholder? Perhaps having the ED may be psychosomatic on some occasions and if the performance is weak, it may not penetrate the mix properly.... :roll: (may also be one issue with the RA too, especially when the Roadster is in use at the same time, of course in full bold power as it seems too soft in spongy mode).

I never said that was funny.... :shock:

Perhaps my issue of not wanting to rush out and get one is that I recently purchased the JP-2C, two 2x12 cabinets (vertical and horizontal), and then an acoustic drum set,. I will think it over, perhaps by mid summer. Still need to get mics for the drum set and a mixer so I can record. I recently pulled the RA from the studio and have it next to the JP on the horizontal 2x12. RA sounds great, no reason to change so it is a keeper. More than likely I will get the TC-50 head.

screamingdaisy said:
I think the RA was killed by the ED and the ED was killed by the RA. If forums are any indication there was a lot of product confusion at the time... and the economy at the time probably didn't help.

I like Mesa's marketing better this time around. Less cork sniffing and very little implication of British heritage in a way that caused constant comparisons to JMP/JCMs. They seem to be trying to position the TC50 as a rock amp with it's own voice. Plus... it looks like a Mesa.

I would say more of the economy being bad, not to mention time and time again whenever Mesa Boogie brings out a model that isn't in the Rectifier nor Mark series, they tend to get forgotten about. Just like the Maverick model. Such a great model. There have been people that flogged off their Mavericks when you could still get them in production, went around trying many other amps, plugged back into their Mavericks, and found home again so to speak. We gearheads are funny like that sometimes

bandit2013 said:

Love it. I also have a Mark V. Love that too.

This forum never has been really busy compared to the larger, less specialized boards. And when you have an amp that isn't complex and doesn't need a lot of tweaking to sound great, you don't get a lot of folks rushing to the forum to find its secrets.

Karl Houseknecht said:
bandit2013 said:

This forum never has been really busy compared to the larger, less specialized boards. And when you have an amp that isn't complex and doesn't need a lot of tweaking to sound great, you don't get a lot of folks rushing to the forum to find its secrets.

I will buy that..... Not that the JP-2C has any secrets to discover. That amp blew me away the first time and still has me hooked. However, I joined up due to admiration of that amp in particular.

Now for the TC-50, tried one but not at desired levels that would have impressed me. Do I wait and see what becomes of this line or just get the TC-50 already and have some fun with a new amp. I liked the features that each channel offered ( sort of missing on the RA). Also the JP-2C is only a two and a half trick pony with slight changes between the two lead channels and a clean that has no dirt (still an awesome amp in my books and worth every penny). Still the TC-50 dishes out even more flavor with choice for EL-34, 6V6 or 6L6. I am in... but when will I take the plunge... do I push off the mic set and mixer for my new drums? So much for trying to keep a budget....or limit on what I spend on gear. My luck has it, I get the TC-50 and the following month or week, out comes the TC-100. :| Do I go for the red pill or the blue pill? How deep does this rabbit hole go anyway?

bandit2013 said:
Karl Houseknecht said:
bandit2013 said:

I will buy that..... Not that the JP-2C has any secrets to discover. That amp blew me away the first time and still has me hooked. However, I joined up due to admiration of that amp in particular.

Now for the TC-50, tried one but not at desired levels that would have impressed me. Do I wait and see what becomes of this line or just get the TC-50 already and have some fun with a new amp. I liked the features that each channel offered ( sort of missing on the RA). Also the JP-2C is only a two and a half trick pony with slight changes between the two lead channels and a clean that has no dirt (still an awesome amp in my books and worth every penny). Still the TC-50 dishes out even more flavor with choice for EL-34, 6V6 or 6L6. I am in... but when will I take the plunge... do I push off the mic set and mixer for my new drums? So much for trying to keep a budget....or limit on what I spend on gear. My luck has it, I get the TC-50 and the following month or week, out comes the TC-100. :| Do I go for the red pill or the blue pill? How deep does this rabbit hole go anyway?

TAKE THE BLUE PILL ;)

elvis said:
I thought the Maverick was a recto

It's under the Recto series, yes. But my point was it wasn't the Single and Dual Recto tones that metalheads were looking for. It had it's own great tone, but it was ignored by many

Well that was and still is my reaction to the JP-2C. Perhaps I should wait for the honeymoon to be over before cheating with another amp. :roll:
So far no mini JP-2C so I can part my ways if I need too. Unfortunately there were two children with the Mark V so I am paying for it at the moment.
I doubt I will ever get an annulment so the JP-2C is a keeper.

So far I only flirted with the TC-50. Next time around I will have to open it up and really dig into it. Actually I may just do mail order again as I did with the JP and the Roadster. The two RA's were just two prostitutes wanting some attention at a reasonable price. Still thinking of getting a divorce from the Mark V but so much has been invested that I fear there would be more loss than any gains.

I need to ask, is the TC-50 FX loop instrument level compliant? The Mark V was the only let down in that area. Heck I let go of most of my gear due to that. Oh well, having new gear is a good thing.... sounds better than the old stuff I had with the Mark IV.

bandit2013 said:
I need to ask, is the TC-50 FX loop instrument level compliant? The Mark V was the only let down in that area. Heck I let go of most of my gear due to that. Oh well, having new gear is a good thing.... sounds better than the old stuff I had with the Mark IV.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this - but the TC-50 sounds great to me with the loop in use or disabled. No different from the experience using the JP-2C, Mark V:25, or Rectoverb 25. It just sounds excellent.

Unlike my first JP-2C, the fx loop also sounds great switching between the higher gain channels and the clean channel, too.

I love delays, but most of what I had when I bought the Mark V really killed the tone when the loop was engaged and the delay active (not in bypass). All that I had bought over the years (from 1990 to 2004) that I used with no issue with the Mark III and the Mark IV just sounded like crap though the Mark V. I had tossed some of the old gear I had (I literally threw it away or gave it to someone without asking for anything in return). Bought a couple of other delays, Line6 DL4, TC Electrionic Flasback. Both of those were tone suckers in the FX loop (line6 was more dramatic than the TC) of the Mark V (did not matter how low I set the send level). More reading about what is up with that, only to find that the Mark V fx-loop to be more at line level than instrument level. So I went the Strymon route with all of my effects (except a Boss Tera Echo which worked great on any of my amps). Not that it matters any more but I would assume the TC-50 is similar to the JP-2C in the send level (note: I can use both the Line6 DL4 and the TC flashback without loosing tone due to overdriving the input buffers on both pedals, i.e. no clipping of the signal. Those pedals also work with the Roadster and the RA100's.)

Latest posts

Back