TC50 Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I have been seriously disappointed with combos lately. I have moved to heads only. To me, combos tend to sound anemic or wonky. Adding an extension cab helps, but in a limited way, and makes the combo less useful. I'd really like a combo I could gig with.

I tried the TC50 combo today (1x12 with V30, as shipped with EL34). I was surprised that it sounded pretty good. The tone and presence controls really did the job, and I could get a variety of tones. I was also impressed that you could run controls at various extremes and not get lousy tone. You can get fizz, but not so much flub, even with bass all the way up.

I'm actually considering getting one.

Good to hear the combo sounds good. I have been hoping the combo will deliver, but we won't be seeing them before mid Feb. Have been looking for a decent combo myself for a few years and can't find anything that has the tone, features and convenience I'm looking for. I probably would have gone for an RA50 1x12 if they had made one, the 2x12 was just too big and heavy for me. Did you lift the TC combo? Going by the weight spec they should be easy enough to carry.

A good range from the tone controls is welcome and hopefully will help to "tune" room variance so it doesn't just sound in some rooms...

It's not light, but not terribly heavy, either. I played it on the floor, then lifted it onto a shelf to see if it lost all the lows. Held up well.

I have played the TC-50 combo a couple of times now. I'll briefly share my impression of the amp.

The first time I played the TC-50 I was the first person to play it. The amp had been delivered 30 minutes earlier and, knowing I like Mesa/Boogie, the employees unboxed it and let me be the first person to play through it. I was using was an Ibanez JS2450 which is Satriani's MIJ signature model for those of you who are unfamiliar with Ibanez model names. (It's not you, it's them. :shock: )

Channel 1:
Mesa describes Channel 1 as a "Mark I" type clean tone so if that means anything to you, I would take them at their word. I love clean channels, especially great channels! However, I did not spend too much time on Channel 1 because Channel 2 and 3 were waiting. I will say this: harmonics are plentiful, beautiful, and a recurring theme with this amp.

Channel 2:
With the Gain set to 2:00 - 4:00, the Master Volume at 10:00-11:00, and the Presence at around 10:00, this could be a lead tone or a crunchy rhythm tone depending on whether the mini toggle is set to "Tight" or "Loose." Even with plenty of distortion, the tone controls were still very powerful, especially the Mid and Presence controls. Interestingly enough, I tried turning the Treble control all the way off with the Mid, Bass, and Presence controls dialed in; the effect was not nearly as drastic as it is on my Roadster. The Mid range did not really become dominate. There was a slight boost which compensated for the missing Treble frequencies but no significant tonal change that I was aware of. The theme of harmonics was ever present and the amp was really becoming effortless to play.

Channel 3:
The second time I play the TC-50 I was playing an EBMM JP Majesty. This guitar has an onboard preamp that provides a +20 db gain boost. When you combine that guitar with the TC-50's Channel 3 Gain set to 1:00, the Master at about 12:00, and the other controls at something reasonable, pinch harmonics, well beyond anything you normally hear, were easy. That is one trait I have never heard from a Mesa amp. With the mini toggle set to "Loose" the guitar pretty much played itself. I did not have to work and it felt good. However, at this point, there was a little too much gain in the signal. The tone was still remarkably clear, but there is such a thing as "too much gain" with this amp. elvis mentioned running the tone controls at extremes and not getting a lousy tone and I concur. The TC-50 handles itself, and whatever you might throw at it, quite well. 8)

Weight:
I have a Roadster 2x12 Combo. It is heavy, except for the UPS man who delivered it. :shock: The TC-50 is 56 lbs. I hesitate to call it "portable" so I'll say most people will probably be able to get the amp where it needs to be when it needs to be there without complaint.

Overall:
I am really impressed with the TC-50. It is not clever or complicated, it just sounds good and is easy to play. The fact it is relatively lightweight is a huge added bonus.

Elvis - since you have a Electra-Dyne I thought I would ask how the overall cleans/tone is compared to the Dyne.

I have a Dyne head and I pair it with a Royal Atlantic 27" 1x12 cabinet. But I am gassing big time for TC. I'd get a combo because these days I rather carry one piece than two and we close mic all shows. Its just easier on the stage we play on the side-wash and use an AmpWedge on a combo. I'd prolly sell the Dyne head if I buy a TC combo.

I recently sold an Express head. I really kinda liked the overall tone of the express, but loved the 2 gain channnels on the Dyne more.

I am trying to be prudent since I have to buy sight unseen. So I am just trying to not buy to satisfy gas. There has to be benefit!!!!

I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Hey Mike,

I spent about an hour last week A/B-ing the TC head and combo (V30).

I was a bit less enthused with it this time around. It is tough to get a big low end, or a warm tone from it that is the hallmark of the Dyne. I also found that there seemed to be a shrill intermodulation at the top-end, in particular when playing high single-note bends. I think it may have been cone cry, but may be an aspect of the amp. Overall, the TC head was a bit boxy and more shrill as compared to the head through a widebody closed cab. Obviously that would be the case. I first tried the TC through a Marshall vintage-reissue 4x12 where it absolutely killed, and a then through a vertical recto 2x12 where it was good, but a bit harsh with the V30s.

Make no mistake, the TC50 is a great amp, the per-channel controls are second to none, and it is very tweakable. But I was finding it hard to get something I really liked out of it. I would really like to try it with 6L6.

I would say that the TC50 seems as extension of the RA100 to me. In particular, the RA has a different tone than the Dyne, and the TC continues even a bit further in that direction. If you love the Dyne, the TC is going to be quite a different animal. In your position, I might trade the Dyne head for a Dyne combo. Or, get the TC from a place that has a liberal return policy and try it for a couple of weeks. It really is a great amp. Just not sure it's for me.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much Elvis!!! I am very grateful. Perhaps I should take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" advise and not let gas cloud good judgement. The Dyne/RA cab is a great combo!!!

Mike,
I feel that this amp is one you need to try in person. It is a little different in its tonal pallet than the other amps. When I played though it I did not ramp up the volume but did get a similar feel with it as I get from either of the RA100's I have.

Since I have too many amps at the moment, I would have to sell one to get the TC-50. I can only think of one that should go but yet I am reluctant in making a decision on that matter. I really like my RA100 so they are keepers (very expressive and responsive with harmonics). Roadster is a bomb that would be difficult to let go and the JP-2C has implanted itself into my head so tumor is here to stay. All good....

I have played though a Dyne combo once (loaded with 6L6 tubes), sounded great but I was after the RA100 at the time. I did think of buying it but the amp sold before I could make and offer. It may be one of those things that if you let one go there may be regrets following.

What is it you are after and think about what you would be giving up..... probably one reason why I have not decided on selling my Mark V.

I am very interested in the TC-50 but would have to explore the amp more than I did when I first played though it. I am on the fence at the moment.

There are better options than the Mesa EL34 (same as the EH EL34). My favorite in the RA100 is the Mullard re-issue EL34. I have tried other varieties including the =C= EL34 which I thought could not be beat.... awesome tubes but not in production anymore. Still have to try a 6CA7 but weary on selection choices. Does not mean that the Mesa EL34 are not optimal for the amp.... With all else considered including speaker and cab choice the TC-50 may be ideal. Regardless of my opinion, I am still interested in the amp but for now I have other interests holding me back (new drum kit).

Latest posts

Back