Electra Dyne Low Gain Tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I was going through the original Mesa TC-50 video today and tried a few of the settings. I don't have my dyne any more for direct comparison, but THIS setting really reminded me strongly of it. I had a good time playing with it, especially boosted, and am not missing my Electra Dyne as much anymore :)

P9Ss+

I am an ED owner and recently tested the TC-50. I liked the amp and love all the features of the amp. I was not able to get THAT ED tone from it though. I do think, like in this video that testing it with 6L6's will help quite a bit. I have an opportunity to do so just haven't found the time.

The cleans of the TC-50 were amazing and the amp can do metal very well. It was just missing that middle ground, the blue channel.. At least compared to the ED..

Will test and reply back in the next few weeks.

I don't have my Dyne any more, but I recall gravitating towards its low gain tones more strongly than I do on the TC-50.

The TC-50 has a graininess to my ears that I have not really been able to dial out. My recollection of the ED was that the low gain channel was somewhat smoother.

I'd have to have them side by side to know for sure, though. And I'm solely discussing how they sound in isolation. I have no idea how they'd compare in a live situation with a full band.

dlpasco said:
The TC-50 has a graininess to my ears that I have not really been able to dial out. My recollection of the ED was that the low gain channel was somewhat smoother.

Interesting to note: My Electra Dyne had a black shadow speaker in it and I'd been listening to my TC-50 solely though Vintage 30s.

Today I plugged the TC-50 into my Mark V combo's speaker (also a Black Shadow) and it feels a lot smoother.

I will go back and A/B this some more, but it felt worth sharing.

Latest posts

Back