2 "different" TC50's?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fernando

Reaction score
So i'm getting "amped" about the new TC50 (pun intended) after reading all the posts here and getting some great info it! Thanks for the contributions! But, after reading thru the manual and checking out the vids, I noticed that there seem to be 2 "different" models of the TC50.

The combo, which I am interested in, seems to have the "traditional" left to right layout, ie: the guitar input is on the left (when facing the front of the amp) then the clean, crunch and high-gain channels run from left to right respectively, with the power and standby switches ending on the far-right of the amp.

The Head-only has the input and channels running in the opposite direction, a reversed image of the the combo layout.

The rack-mount head follows the combo layout.....

So what gives? Or is it time to change the batteries in my glasses? lol

Thanks for reading!

peace

Electrodyne is the same. Combo layout is different to the head layout. dont know why though.

That is normal for many of Mesa's designs. This allows them to use the same pcb & layout for both versions.

The Roadster is the same.

These amps, when in head form, have their tubes & transformers 'standing up' from the chassis. When these models are made into combo form, the chassis is essentially flipped along its end, allowing the tubes and transformers to now 'hang down' into the cabinet.

Dom

I have the same issue with the RA100 as well. I have both head and combo so it seems odd that everything is reversed. When you get used to one, you get a brain fart with the other.

Lol... never noticed that aspect of owning a head vs a combo... my choices have always been combos (mkv:35, lss, mkiii) ... thanks for the replies! makes total sense now...

8)

peace

Fernando said:
Lol... never noticed that aspect of owning a head vs a combo... my choices have always been combos (mkv:35, lss, mkiii) ... thanks for the replies! makes total sense now...

8)

peace

You wouldn't even notice on the Mark series combos, because Mark series heads don't flip the amp. In the Mark heads the tubes and transformers still hang down. They basically just chop off the bottom of the cabinet and seal it up. That's why the controls are still on the top.

But in a lot of Marshall style heads (and the rectifier and apparently TC) they do flip it around so controls are on the bottom and all the "bits" stick up. But in a combo that wastes space so they flip it to hang.

Back