The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Got one
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:01 am 
Mark II

dlpasco wrote:
I got mine this afternoon from The Guitar Store. Thank you, Brian and James.

Initial thoughts:

- This is not like my electradyne was: it's WAY brighter, but it can also get a lot heavier. Seems like a Mark III Blue Stripe and a Royal Atlantic had a drunken hookup. Keep the presence and treble under noon for most settings.

- Cleans are very good but not Mark V Clean mode/JP-2C cleans (at least with EL34s) Still PERFECTLY
FINE cleans, though.

- So far I've been able to get closer to the Electra Dyne Vintage Lo tone by kicking in the drive on the clean channel than I have using channel 2. I'm going to keep at this because the ED Vintage Lo was amazing.

- Blue channel with tight on and the gain dimed is pretty awesome.

- I spent a lot of time on channel 2 (Blue) running wet-dry-wet with some chorus. The We Will Rock You solo sounded better than on any rig I've ever played. No question. And it sounded ENORMOUS.

- Dial the gain back a little on the blue channel and kick in delay and you have a killer Kim Thayil sound.

- The red channel's gain at noon seems about equivalent to the blue channel with the gain turned all the way up. The blue channel felt a little better to me but that honestly could have been due to the blue channel volume being imperctibly higher or something.

- So far the red channel has been good for leads but I haven't gotten anything dialed in that I like better than a) My Mark V in IIC+ mode (fx loop disabled) b) My recto reborn in vintage mode c) my Electradyne in Vintage High. ...I've only had this a couple of hours, though

- This amp can reach the heavy stuff the Electra Dyne never could. But TO ME it doesn't feel too reminiscent of a recto or a mark. Feels like it's got its own thing going on.

- I fiddling around with some detuned metal stuff. Didn't find any combinations right off the bat that we're better than my Mark V but I also haven't spent a lot of time with it yet.

So far, this amp is pretty much everything I hoped it would be. Until they make a Mark V with a decent fx loop, a cab clone and midi, this is the amp I'll be looking for for rehearsals and gigs.

This amp is a keeper. And I'm about to sell a second JP-2C on Craig's List.

-Daniel

I agree. I am an ED owner and was hoping that the TC-50's Lo Gain channel would more like the ED's blue channel, but as you mentioned it didn't really hit the mark. (not thats what they were going for)..

I could not dial the fizzle out of the TC's low gain channel. The tight switch helped but then it added a tightness I didn't want. Great amp but I need to go back to the store and fiddle around some more.

The Guitar Store ROCKS!! BTW

Bogner GoldFinger
Mesa 2x12 Rec Cab
Mesa 1x12 Open Back
Bogner GoldFinger 2x12 Cab
Mesa Cab Clone

PRS P245
Chapman ML-3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat Custom Shop
Charvel Custom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:58 am 
Donating Member

There's definitely a grainy character to Lo that reminds me of my Mark III when I am running mixed EL34s and 6L6s instead a 6L6 quad.

The manual noted that there's more warmth to be had at lower presence and treble levels, so I turned those all the down and slowly raised them back up again until I had a tone I liked (they were actually pretty close to noon again by the time I finished). I also had Tight OFF for this particular exercise (chasing Electradyne tone).

You might want to try the same thing at The Guitar Store and see if that makes much of a difference for you. And yes, THE GUITAR STORE RULES BRIAN AND JAMES ARE ***AWESOME***.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:22 pm 
Mark IV

Demos sound good man! Thinking of picking one of these up too

http://www.exactzer0.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/thejay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:10 am 
Mark II

dlpasco wrote:
I got mine this afternoon from The Guitar Store. Thank you, Brian and James.

-Daniel

You're gonna get rid of the JP2c again?

Dual Rec head (multi watt)
Mini-Rec
Cabs: 4x12 Recto traditional, 2x12 Recto (horizontal), 1x12 Wide Body (closed), 1x12 Wide Body (open back)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:49 pm 
Donating Member

MrSmitty wrote:
dlpasco wrote:

-Daniel

You're gonna get rid of the JP2c again?

*drums fingers*

uhhhhh. Still thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:15 am 
Donating Member

Well, I've been really enjoying the TC-50. I've spent pretty much all of my time on the blue channel and have been experimenting with a lot of different songs using dry and wet/dry/wet setups.

You can really do a lot with this channel - it's got more range than the Electra Dyne had on both Vintage Hi and Lo in my opinion, and you don't flatten your house trying to get it set to a volume that you can hear it at.

I've been recording a lot, but mostly on Music Memos on my iPhone right now - just song ideas. I haven't really felt like I could put together a Logic arrangement that would do this any justice yet.

As usually, spending time with this amp has taught me a lot about my other amps. Both the JP-2c and the Mark V high gain channels can sound really good with the eq disengaged - which is a pretty new thing for me.

Anyway, I'm loving the amplifier, so I'm spending more time on my singing...which needs work.

-Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:16 pm 
Mark I

dlpasco wrote:

-. Until they make a Mark V with a decent fx loop, a cab clone and midi, this is the amp I'll be looking for for rehearsals and gigs.

-Daniel

Hey Daniel,
I had asked you about the Mark V loop last month and then decided to do some testing.
My only effect is a Nemesis delay.
I moved it up to the front of the amp.
In this way I have delay pre the Mark V reverb.
I hard bypassed the fx loop.
Yes,I'm going to run my amp this way.
First of all,the pops when changing channels are very minute now.
Way too loud when loop was engaged.
The Nemesis sounds great in front ,running into the Mesa verb.
At home levels,everything sounds great.
When I get to jam with friends,and get to wind the amp out a bit more,it will be interesting to hear it then.
I have a feeling I'll still like it with fx hard bypassed.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:04 am 
Bottle Rocket

So I'm curious about the voicings of the channels and if it can get the sounds I'm after.

What I would really like is 3 channels and the full footswitching capabilities of this amp, where the 3 channels can get rectifier sounds as Ch 1 - clean, Ch 2-pushed, and Channel 3- Vintage or Modern. Plus a solo boost and a usable FX loop and reverb. This amp has the "features" just don't know about the tones...

Seems like it might be able to do it.

I have a Mark V but have not really been happy with it. The sound is kind of sterile and tinny, not as much girth as a rectifier, somehow. Not sure if that describes it but just feel like I don't like the sound of it, and I wish it had two channel 1's (I like all 3 modes of this channel) and one channel 2. I mostly hate channel 3. Even Channel 2 still isn't as good as the vintage/modern sounds I get off my mini-rectifier....so the Mark V sits and I play the hell out of the stupid mini-rec if you can believe that, always wishing it had a 3rd channel with "pushed", plus clean and vintage on the other two, a solo boost and reverb.

Do the drive channels on the TC-50 sound more "mark" or more "rectifier"?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 pm 
Donating Member

Definitely nails clean, pushed, and high gain.

I'd say that the red channel is closer to recto than to mark in tone and feel.

Also, if you like Marks and but want more girth than the V, the JP-2C is excellent.

(I'm using both. I love them).

-Daniel

BluzCruz wrote:
So I'm curious about the voicings of the channels and if it can get the sounds I'm after.

What I would really like is 3 channels and the full footswitching capabilities of this amp, where the 3 channels can get rectifier sounds as Ch 1 - clean, Ch 2-pushed, and Channel 3- Vintage or Modern. Plus a solo boost and a usable FX loop and reverb. This amp has the "features" just don't know about the tones...

Seems like it might be able to do it.

I have a Mark V but have not really been happy with it. The sound is kind of sterile and tinny, not as much girth as a rectifier, somehow. Not sure if that describes it but just feel like I don't like the sound of it, and I wish it had two channel 1's (I like all 3 modes of this channel) and one channel 2. I mostly hate channel 3. Even Channel 2 still isn't as good as the vintage/modern sounds I get off my mini-rectifier....so the Mark V sits and I play the hell out of the stupid mini-rec if you can believe that, always wishing it had a 3rd channel with "pushed", plus clean and vintage on the other two, a solo boost and reverb.

Do the drive channels on the TC-50 sound more "mark" or more "rectifier"?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:11 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks for the insights. Guess I gotta go try one out and see for myself. It's a couple hours drive or I'd have done it already...

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:45 am 
Dual Recto

Daniel,
I have gone through you post and see your initial impressions had some similarities to my own. The amp is bright but it is a nice sounding tone actually.
I can understand thoughts on selling the JP-2C as I am hearing some similar character with the TC-50 but with a different fundamental tone than compared to the Mark amps.

After much digging into the TC-50, I am beginning to realize this is the amp for me in most respects. At first I was not sure but now I am convinced it is a good fit for most of what I play. However, I still have a place for the rest of my amps so would be hard to let them go. At the moment, I have not run the JP-2C back to back with the TC-50. I have with the RA100. I like aspects of both TC and the RA. If I had to boil it down to one amp, that would be very difficult to decide. I could manage it down to two (TC-50 and the JP-2C) but not one. In terms of features and channel options I would choose the TC-50 if I had to make a choice but would greatly miss the JP-2C, or vise versa if I chose to keep the JP. If I was working with a cover band, the TC-50 would definitely do the multi-tasking job and would support many different styles of music. My ears have become more in tune when listening to the radio, as it seems the TC-50 would sound like that song more than the other amps I own.. I personally prefer to have more than I need as one amp may fit the mood I want to express better than another. I am really bonding with the TC-50 more than I expected too, just took a days worth of tube hours to really love what it can dish out. This is what I had experienced in the past with the Mesa or EH EL34 as they generally start off as sounding harsh or very bright but seem to mellow out just a bit after a weeks worth of playing (24 hours of tube usage).

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:15 pm 
Mark I

I'm wondering about the effects loop of the TC...is it behaving like the Mark V, or is it free of the "neutering" effect you described?

I haven't tried the loop yet myself.
Unlike most of you, I bought the combo, because l don't own an open back cab...and I tend to hear my co-guitarist across the stage (he does open back). Plus the rest of the band should hear me better.
I haven't owned a combo in years, and I'm still working on settings. I want to have the combo dialed for those times when it's a small stage.

Anyone gigged with theirs yet?

-John

Yamaha THR100HD (back up)

Port City 2x12 Wave cab w Tone Tubby ceramics

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:52 pm 
Donating Member

Scooterjohn wrote:
I'm wondering about the effects loop of the TC...is it behaving like the Mark V, or is it free of the "neutering" effect you described?

I haven't tried the loop yet myself.
Unlike most of you, I bought the combo, because l don't own an open back cab...and I tend to hear my co-guitarist across the stage (he does open back). Plus the rest of the band should hear me better.
I haven't owned a combo in years, and I'm still working on settings. I want to have the combo dialed for those times when it's a small stage.

Anyone gigged with theirs yet?

-John

Hi, the fx loop on the TC-50 is great. I gigged with mine about a month ago for a Stone Temple Pilots set and the amp was superb.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:47 am 
Bottle Rocket

dlpasco wrote:
There's definitely a grainy character to Lo that reminds me of my Mark III when I am running mixed EL34s and 6L6s instead a 6L6 quad.
And yes, THE GUITAR STORE RULES BRIAN AND JAMES ARE ***AWESOME***.

Thanks for mentioning that mixed mode. I gotta check that out! I must have overlooked it in the manual. Still getting to know my TC-50.

I bought a lonestar 23 cabinet from The Guitar Store in Seattle. I have to say they were very attentive with phone calls and assistance...I was trying to get it quickly before a gig, and it made it - but my comment is actually more about the pre-sale support I got, which was good. I liked them better than Sweetwater by a longshot, plus they are on the west coast but out of state from me which means...several days faster shipping, still no sales tax, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:16 pm 
Donating Member

BluzCruz wrote:
dlpasco wrote:
And yes, THE GUITAR STORE RULES BRIAN AND JAMES ARE ***AWESOME***.

Thanks for mentioning that mixed mode. I gotta check that out! I must have overlooked it in the manual. Still getting to know my TC-50.

I bought a lonestar 23 cabinet from The Guitar Store in Seattle. I have to say they were very attentive with phone calls and assistance...I was trying to get it quickly before a gig, and it made it - but my comment is actually more about the pre-sale support I got, which was good. I liked them better than Sweetwater by a longshot, plus they are on the west coast but out of state from me which means...several days faster shipping, still no sales tax, etc.

!!! I MEANT MIXED MODE ON MY MARK III, NOT MY TC-50 !!!

Don’t hurt your amp, it’s awesome!