NAD: TC-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloanthebone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up mine from the Fedex holding cell and spent about 30 minutes with it because its all I had. So far, I am really digging it. Like, really digging it.

My Quick personal observations:
I love the red channel. So much gain!
I like the blue channel but I would need to spend more time here. Very nice crunch, but not really "Marshall" tones (to me). Need to explore more.
Green channel: Someone accidentally put a clean channel in this. I was like, what are these bell like chimes coming from this thing? Back to the red channel..... (Clean sounds very nice)
Volume: It sounds fantastic at low volume!!! The volume taper is so great. The combination of the master volume, channel volume and solo volume work excellent together. I got rid of my JP-2C because I didn't like the low volume sound from it. I had to get it past 10 o'clock (minimum) to get it to sound the way I like and my wife, neighbors, and the town 20 miles away wasn't having it. (to be fair, the JP-2C wasn't made for a home player like me, it is a great amp too).
I really love the layout of this amp also. I have stayed away from the Mark V because it just looked too busy even though I know it is a great amp. I love my Mark v:35 also because its simple.
I like the Normal/Tight switch a lot. I feel the Tight switch does exactly that and is pretty noticeable.

I also picked up some 6L6s and 6V6s to tube roll. Will report back when I do that.

I am using it here with Mesa 1x12 open back with mc90 and Mesa 1x12 closed back with mc90. I just bought these cabs off craigslist so its my first time using them. Will probably pick up a Mesa v30 or Fillmore to put in the closed back one.

31545725586_254bc71b17_b.jpg

Awesome. Mine is out for delivery right now.

For loud situations(band practice and gigs) would you recommend cranking the channel or master volume? Is there a hard and fast rule with mesas?

Watching the video right now. This is DEFINITELY the progeny of the Electra Dyne / Royal Atlantic. The voice really reminds me a lot of both those amps. An Electra Dyne with boogie flexibility in the tone controls. What's not to love!?

Edit: And the gain gets into Mark IV territory. That's a SICK amp!

Looking good! I am really interested in picking one up

elvis said:
It is a VERY sick amp.
Elvis, may have to disagree on that statement(Pun intended), I find the TC-50 very healthy. I have yet to compare how stout it is relative to the 100W heads operating at the sweetspot. I am still overwhelmed how loud this amp is in general, yes it is sick and very healthy at the same time.

Give the blue channel some time to blossom and it will get to that sound eventually. Those Mesa (EH) tubes take a few hours of good use before the mids begin to reveal themselves. It has been 28 years since I played though a Marshall at that time the Mark III combo took its place. Question is what particular Marshall are you referring too? 1959 JMP100 Super Lead Plexi, or the JCM800, JVM410? Perhaps this be true it does not sound like a Marshall of the references provided. It does have a Voxy tone with a bit of orange peel and some Plexi dust. may not be the best way to describe it.

Back