TC-50 Guidance

Discussion area for the new TC50

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

rrguitars
Bottle Rocket

TC-50 Guidance

Post by rrguitars » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:41 am

Okay, so new to the forum but a long time Boogie user except I haven't played a Mesa Boogie for 20 years! Yes, I'm 60 but I assure you I can hold my own. To the story...Since the late 70's I've played mostly Mesa Boogies except for a couple stints with a Marshall JCM800 in 1980(?) and a Marshall Solid State (because I was broke and needed to work until I could replace the MKIIc that was stolen!). I've owned a MKI, MKIIc, MKIII, MKIV, Quad Pre with the 295 Simul-Class power amp and my last Boogie was a TriAxis with 290 Simul-Class and 2 4x12 cabs, California Blonde acoustic rig in 2000.When my original band went belly up and with kids on the way I sold all of it but I never stopped playing. I just down-sized to a more economical means by way of a Line 6 Flextone II XL. Don't Laugh. I've been ripping with this thing since 2000 and it's been keeping me going (recent solo clip available on my Bandmix page - rrguitars). I bought my MKIII, MKIV and my TriAxis without even hearing them out. I didn't need to. Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a TC-50 rack new unheard and a Line 6 Pod HD Pro X and FBVII (used from GC...another story!). My expectations were very high with the idea of running 4 cable. With that said I have 2 2x12 Harley Benton cabs loaded with V30s waiting to pass through Customs from Germany (don't hate on me). In the meantime I bought a Blackstar open back 2x12 cab with Seventy/80s from GC for something to play through until they arrive at which time I will return. I AM NOT HAPPY!!! I'm sure the Seventy/80's have something to do with it but I get a lot of mid-range "boxiness" (for lack of a better description) that I just can't seem to dial out. I don't feel the tone of this amp is as clear or as flexible as I expected. (YouTube, you suck!) I have about 5 more days to return it and I need some guidance as to why I shouldn't. I've played through a friends seasoned V30 cab and neither one of us could dial in a good starting tone. The amp is aggressive but I find it mid rangey, a bit buzzy and the gain pixelated and not as fluid as I'm used to. (pixelated - meaning if I were to look at a picture close up you can see the dots and the picture is blurred but as you pull the picture away the pixels come together and the picture comes into focus - maybe like an oil painting you need to see from across the room to appreciate it). I'm used to a more focused distortion. Any comments welcome as long as they're helpful (no haters please - I'm just struggling).

mace
Mark III

Re: TC-50 Guidance

Post by mace » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:25 am

Not sure I'll be of any help as you have more experience with amps than I do. And, you obviously know what tone you are after. I love the TC-50 but keep coming back to the Mark V. The Mark seems to be my "home base" amp.

I have the TC-50 combo and for me it is pretty easy to dial in and I do not get too extreme with the settings all between 9 and 3 o'clock). I've loaned it quite a few times to the lead guitarist in my band for gigging. I've been surprised how he dials in the high gain channel using pretty much 3-5 o'clock on the tone dials. He also has the channel master up at about 3 o'clock. I can get details on settings he had from last weekend's gig if you want and I think we have videos up somewhere you could give a listen.

Good luck experimenting!
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

Daxman73
Mark III

Re: TC-50 Guidance

Post by Daxman73 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm

Hmmm, how long have you given the tubes a chance to burn in? I have a TC50 Head and run it through a OS Recto 4x12. I don't find it super mid-rangey, but it can sound "boxy" if the amp/tubes aren't broken or with different types of cabs. Read the posts on the forum by Bandit25 on here. Very informative and thorough. Like most amps, and maybe more in this particular case, it really needs to get some time on it before the amp starts to blossom. After a day or two of heavy jamming, the amp really opened up. To me, this amp is extremely articulate, detailed, quiet and musical. It's the perfect blend of a Recto and a Mark. Not to mention that it's one of the most versatile amps I've ever heard. There isn't a genre that this amp couldn't do in my opinion. And I've never had a hard time dialing it in. Not sure if any of this helps, but I hope you give it a chance. It's one of the best amps to come out of Petaluma in quite some time.
...Bleed Boogie forever...

Mesa TC50 Head
Mesa Mark IV 1x12 WB Combo
Mesa Electradyne Lg Head
4x12 Recto Slant Cab (x2)
2x12 Recto Compact Cab