Cab advice 212 or 412 for more low end

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruffydoo

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a TC50 and so far have tried it with a marshall 1960a, orange PPC412 and a two notes torpedo, I'm using strats and LP's.

Love the clean. it's rich and full on normal setting, ch 2 and 3 sound very bright to me and the drive settings on all channels just seem to add more treble.

So I wondered how you guys are finding it with a Mesa cab, either 2x12 or 4x12, they are expensive here so I'm trying to get some opinions to see if it's worth shelling out. I also read it warms up after it's got some time on it, anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance

2lml151.jpg

Personally, I find the TC-50 sounds better with the Recto 2x12.

My Recto 4x12 (slant standard) is pretty midrange focused... works great with a Rectifier, but with the TC-50 it sounds a little thin as the TC-50 isn't outputting massive amounts of low end.

The Recto 2x12 is a little more scooped with a stronger top and bottom end that I find compliments the TC-50.

YMMV.

+1 on the 212 cab. I Have both vertical and horizontal 212 cabs and prefer the Vertical cab. The vertical cab does have a bit more top end as one speaker is pointed at an angle but it sounds the same to the horizontal 212 cab. I had to get another Vertical cab to use with the JP-2C as I got tired sharing the one cabinet with the TC-50. I got the 212 when I bought the JP-2C just to try it. Well that resulted in obtaining the horizontal for use with the larger heads and another Vertical was needed as I am lazy.

Look at the manual for suggested settings. Use the "classic settings" but do not be afraid to boost the bass on both CH2 and CH3. I have the bass set between 2pm or 3pm and drop the treble down to 11am to 10am (using a clock face as reference). I do not get any flub or ill sounds from the amp, even with higher gain settings using the normal voice for each channel. Tone controls of the TC-50 are very similar to the RA100 so that help me to dial in some great tone that is full and aggressive. Not as aggressive as the amp in the picture below but good enough.

The thing with the 212 cabinets, there is more bass response than what you would get with the OS Recto 412 (also have two of those, but one is a decade or more older). I took this picture just for fun but there is no way I could run all the cabinets at the same time. I have often run the Vertical with the Horizontal cab in parallel with the JP-2C and found that to be rewarding, more so than a 412 cab. The second Vertical cab was just as rewarding running two of them with the JP-2C. I tried two with the TC-50 but prefer just using one. I would also agree the bottom end is not the dominant frequency with the TC-50 but it does help to have a cabinet that provides ample bass and is balanced across the entire band. On the flip side I prefer the OS Recto 412 with the RA100 as that seems to work better since it is not as tight as the TC-50. The one OS recto (black face) is loaded with EV speakers. That worked quite well with the TC-50, the other 412 was good too but like Screamingdaisy said, it has more focus on the mids. The smaller 412 is loaded with Celestion Creambacks, that is okay too but I like the OS Recto 412's better (EV or V30). The 1x12 on the right (open back wide body, also sitting on top of the vert 212) has an Orgainic Timbre Rhapsody speaker in it. Not bad with the TC-50, RA100 has a better response with it. OTR only comes in an 8 ohm format so good for 1x12 or 412 cabs. The one on the left (under the vertical 212) is a deep cab with an EV mounted in it. I used that for depth if needed. Vertical 212 on its own is more ideal.

23985315888_71cb63b350_z.jpg

If you are moving your gear from place to place, I would recommend the Vertical 212 over the horizontal 212 as it is easier to manage (side handles makes it easy to pick up and load vs the single strap handle on top of the Hoizontal 212 cab). If the Horizontal 212 had two straps at each end or recessed handles it would be easier to move.

It has been a while since I squared up the TC to the RA. Just today, I figured I would give the 412 cab a go with the TC-50. I was thinking the 212 cab seemed to be lacking. When I switched over to the 412 cab I noticed the load switch was set to 4 ohms. Going back to 8 ohms definitely added some more bottom end to the mix in either case 412 or 212 cab.

Are you using the TC-50 with the 8ohm (2x12 speakers) or the 16ohm or 4 ohm load? Mesa amps seem to perform best with 8ohm loads. I found using a 16 ohm cab always sounded weak (I had one for a short while, or it was 16 ohms for a short while until I replaced the speakers), it was also a non mesa cab.

When it comes to the TC-50, the Vertical 212 is just a bit darker than the OS recto 412. I actually like either cabs with the TC. If you are after more loudness, the OS Recto 412 will do the trick.

When I bought the TC-50, I ran it with what I had at home at the time which was two 2x12 (not Mesa).
Anyway, the tone was a little fizzy for me and I thought that’s the way the amp sounds and almost sold it but then I got a Recto 4x12 OS and oooo yes! That was it!
I play the TC with the 4x12 only.

The OS Recto 412 slant front will work well with the TC-50. It actually sounds better with the TC or RA than it does with the Roadster. I still prefer the Mesa Vertical 212 cab for the TC-50 and it does extremely well with the JP-2C.

However, some have had issues with the Oversized Recto 412 cabs claiming the tone sounds a bit scooped on the midrange and may be a bit boomy. That may hold true for the older OS recto 412 cabs as my 2000 model fit that description (resolved that issue with EV speakers). However the newer 412 cab just sounds awesome. I think there is more depth to the Vertical cab and with use it just sounds better. If you are on the fence on what to get next, the OS slant front 412 (also called standard size) is one, or perhaps the straight traditional Mesa 412 may be another possible cab. I would guess with the 50W the OS recto 412 cab will be fine. When you get up in the 100W range, the cab tends to become more bright than deep on the low end. I am thinking on getting another 412 but in the traditional straight variety.

I would compare some of the videos Mesa has compiled with the TC-50. In some they are using the OS Recto, and some they are using the Vertical 212 (sweetwater video) Actually their page has all of the links to the TC-50 videos...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TripleCH

NAD this week with a TC 50C coming in. I have a 212 closed back cab I’m going to use for gigs, as an extension to the combo and can load it with either 2 Vintage 30’s or a V30 and a G12H 30. Anyone try this combination before? Kind of splitting hairs here I guess, but it sounded good with the Egnater a Tweaker I’ve been using. Id like to save myself some time swapping speakers if there’s a definitive opinion. Thanks!

scruffydoo said:
Hi, I just got a TC50 and so far have tried it with a marshall 1960a, orange PPC412 and a two notes torpedo, I'm using strats and LP's.

Love the clean. it's rich and full on normal setting, ch 2 and 3 sound very bright to me and the drive settings on all channels just seem to add more treble.

So I wondered how you guys are finding it with a Mesa cab, either 2x12 or 4x12, they are expensive here so I'm trying to get some opinions to see if it's worth shelling out. I also read it warms up after it's got some time on it, anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance

2lml151.jpg

Interesting picture. How does the Vox compare to the TC-50? I am not looking for what is better than the other, just wondering if both are in the same ball park in character and tone.

Latest posts

Back