JP2C: reverb echo when switching to channel 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjbc

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a brand new JP2C that I got today. I'm really excited to discover all it has to offer! :D

I have noticed so far that I get kind of a reverb surplus when switching from channel 2 or 3 to channel 1 (I have reverb at noon for all channels). It's best described in this video: http://imgur.com/a/hwgj24M

Is this normal? In that case, how can it be avoided?

Thank you beforehand!

Yeah, that is normal. I just checked my Mark V and it does it and I never noticed it after 9 years of it being my main amp! I run just a pinch of reverb on channel 3 so I had to turn up the reverb levels to replicate it.

When you switch channels and the little silence effect kicks in (designed to do this to avoid pops when switching channel). But, the springs in the reverb tank are still wiggling away so you get a little reverb tail after switching channels. The reverb "swells in" because of the electronics, again to avoid pops and sudden sound bursts. In other words, I think it is a mechanical thing of the reverb springs vibrating and not an electronic issue. And, I don't know how anyone would design that out?

So, to avoid it you'd have to wait a couple seconds before switching channels, or set the reverb a bit lower on the lead channel. In a band setting something like that probably wouldn't really be audible.

mace said:
Yeah, that is normal. I just checked my Mark V and it does it and I never noticed it after 9 years of it being my main amp! I run just a pinch of reverb on channel 3 so I had to turn up the reverb levels to replicate it.

When you switch channels and the little silence effect kicks in (designed to do this to avoid pops when switching channel). But, the springs in the reverb tank are still wiggling away so you get a little reverb tail after switching channels. The reverb "swells in" because of the electronics, again to avoid pops and sudden sound bursts. In other words, I think it is a mechanical thing of the reverb springs vibrating and not an electronic issue. And, I don't know how anyone would design that out?

So, to avoid it you'd have to wait a couple seconds before switching channels, or set the reverb a bit lower on the lead channel. In a band setting something like that probably wouldn't really be audible.

Thank you!

In that video, he's got the reverb on a gain channel, then switches to the clean, and the dirty reverb swell sound comes up very obviously. So that sucks. But in a perhaps more common way of using reverb, would it also do that? Meaning, drenched reverb on the clean, but dry dirties - would the switching from clean to dirty produce that weird swell verb or would it be drowned out enough?

Yep, it is perfectly normal to have the reverb wash sound. It is part of the strobe mute circuit when channel changing. The Mark V90 and Roadster both do this too. However, there are two Mesa amps that do not appear to have a noticeable reverb wash or fade in sound; Royal Atlantic RA-100 and the Triple Crown (50 or 100). If it is there, I do not hear it. There is a way to avoid this, use a reverb pedal in the FX loop.

Latest posts

Back