JP2C Channel 3 Volume Spikes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity777

Reaction score
Hi All--First time poster, long time Mesa user & fan!!! So I bought my JP2C brand new about a year ago, lightly used for the most part in my home studio. It's the best sounding amp I have ever played...first tube amp to not need attenuation for great low volumes! Obviously sounds better blowing the roof off, but excellent all around!
Been having this issue where ONLY on channel 3, the volume will get louder and quieter all on its own. It's as if somebody is turning the volume on that channel up and down randomly. Sometimes it will spike a little for just a second, and sometimes it will get to stadium roar for several seconds, and then come back down. This only happens on channel 3 and started doing it very intermittently a few months back, but now it does it within 5-10 seconds of hitting channel 3. I did send it in to Mesa for warranty repair, and they were awesome as usual. The tech found a wire that was touching another wire and fixed it...got the amp back yesterday and it immediately did the exact same thing on channel 3. Super bummed as you can imagine, spent over $100 to ship with insurance, was without my most loved amp for a month and the problem persists. I did leave Mesa another message and I know they'll take care of me, but they are not open from the holidays until January 2nd.
I figured in the meantime, I'd ask you fine folks on the board here if you have any ideas as to what this might be. I've pretty much ruled out tube issues due to the fact that there are no tubes on the JP2C that are dedicated to only channel 3, so would stand to reason that a tube issue would also affect channel 2 as well. I have tried multiple guitars, cables and run straight into amp with no effects loop, footswitch or even EQ...all is off/disconnected and the problem is the same and continues to persist. I have also had this happen at band practice at my buddies place regularly, so it's not a power issue at my house.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

You want to talk about EXCELLENT customer service...look no further than Garey & Rich @ Mesa! On Christmas Eve of all days, when these guys are on vacation, Garey emailed me back and Rich called me to setup a new RMA #, and let me know they are going to email me a prepaid shipping label! I think this puts Mesa in an elite class, and a major reason I will only buy Boogies! I want to say a HUGE thanks and Happy Holidays to both Garey & Rich...thanks guys!

Back