The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:36 am 
Mark II

Hey everybody!
I'm back with a new JP2C. It's been 2 years since I parted with the first one. I decided to get another one a couple weeks ago and give it another try. This time around, it's a MUCH better experience. Not sure what happened with my first amp, maybe I had a bad head (the amp, not MY head :P ...ha ha) or the first amp had a tube issue or something else going on. None-the-less, this second JP amp is frickin' amazing and sounds/feels like it's supposed to. This amp is very tight and responsive with just the right amount of sag, unlike the first one I had. I took a different approach this time when I dialed the amp in. Instead of using JP's or Mesa's suggested settings, I used my ears to dial in my preferred sound, rather than using my eyes. I then found my JP settings I wrote down 2 years ago and compared them to what I have now. Surprisingly, they are very close except now, I run the mid knob a little higher and the bass knob and 80hz slider lower. I'm sure that helps with getting rid of that bloated, overly fat tone. I also noticed that even a slight adjustment of the channel knobs make a significant difference in the way the amps sounds and feels. Again, I did a side-by-side comparison to my beloved MkIII+ and damn it, they are SOOO close. Much happier now!

Here's the link to my original post: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=71876

Mark " III +" (originally green stripe) Simul-Class, short head
Cabs: 4x12 Recto traditional, 2x12 Recto (horizontal), 1x12 Wide Body (closed).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 am 
Mark II

Nice, I'm glad you're having a better experience this go around! The JP is a great amp and I just got a red stripe III to compliment it; in comparison, I think the red stripe is more aggressive while the JP is more smooth/"looser" (in a good way).

Dual Rec Rev F
Recto vert and horiz 2x12
Widebody cb 1x12

Previously:
Recto slant 4x12
Stiletto Trident Stage II
Mark IV
Mark V:25
Dual Rec three channel
Dual Rec rev G
Dual Rec Multiwatt
Rect-o-verb combo
50 cal+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:46 pm 
Mark II

rich wrote:
Nice, I'm glad you're having a better experience this go around! The JP is a great amp and I just got a red stripe III to compliment it; in comparison, I think the red stripe is more aggressive while the JP is more smooth/"looser" (in a good way).

Thanks Rich!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:40 pm 
Triple Recto

I would agree that the JP-2C is very close to the Mark III (blue stripe), at least in memory anyway as I do not have it to compare. I had a combo but would often run it through a 412 or pair it up with a cab loaded with an EV classic. However, what caught my eye and perhaps raised my level of ignorance, what is a Mark III+? Would that be a Red stripe with some tweaks or the first Mark III that came out?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:32 pm 
Mark II

bandit2013 wrote:
I would agree that the JP-2C is very close to the Mark III (blue stripe), at least in memory anyway as I do not have it to compare. I had a combo but would often run it through a 412 or pair it up with a cab loaded with an EV classic. However, what caught my eye and perhaps raised my level of ignorance, what is a Mark III+? Would that be a Red stripe with some tweaks or the first Mark III that came out?

My III+ was originally a Green stripe. It was a good amp in original form, but was a little stiff and hash for my taste. So it was sent to Mesa for the “+” mod, which basically changes out some of the caps and resistors (I think) giving it a smoother gain & top end. I also had a triode switch added, which elevates the stiffness feel. The lead channel on this amp has been my favorite of All the other amps I’ve ever owned.
However....now that I’ve had the JP2c for about a month now, it is now my new favorite amp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:55 am 
Triple Recto

Thanks for the explanation on the +. Good to see you have discovered the JP-2C again. I did read through your posts on your first experience. Bummer it did not pan off with the first one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 pm 
Mark II

If I have time this weekend, I’ll make & post a video with the JP.