Power Amp suggestion for JP2C stereo setup

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia76

Reaction score
Hello!
I would like to slave the JP2C to a separate Power Amp for achieving a stereo setup similar to Petrucci's one:
JP2C effect send -> stereo effects - > Stereo return left into JP2C effect return, Stereo return right into separate Power Amp.

I already have a Mesa 5-band EQ pedal, so that I can mimic the settings of the head, for the signal going to the Power Amp (as the JP2C graphic EQ is post effect loop).

But what power amp would you suggest, that best fits with the JP2C power section?
Mesa 2:ninety
Mesa 2:fifty
Mesa 20-20
VHT 2502
VHT 2902
anything else?

Unfortunately, I would be "wasting" 1 channel for all those stereo rack power amps.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Simple: another JP2C. Then you also have a spare preamp.

-Randy

segovia76 said:
Hello!
I would like to slave the JP2C to a separate Power Amp for achieving a stereo setup similar to Petrucci's one:
JP2C effect send -> stereo effects - > Stereo return left into JP2C effect return, Stereo return right into separate Power Amp.

I already have a Mesa 5-band EQ pedal, so that I can mimic the settings of the head, for the signal going to the Power Amp (as the JP2C graphic EQ is post effect loop).

But what power amp would you suggest, that best fits with the JP2C power section?
Mesa 2:ninety
Mesa 2:fifty
Mesa 20-20
VHT 2502
VHT 2902
anything else?

Unfortunately, I would be "wasting" 1 channel for all those stereo rack power amps.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I know a second JP2C would be the best
But here in EU the prices are ridiculous.
3500 Euro for a JP2C head
Otherwise it is possible to find old second hand power amps for cheap (50/50, 2 ninety, ...).
But not easy to have one for a test
This is why I would appreciate feedback from someone who had one the rack power amps.

You might want to consider using the slave out on the JP-2C (dry) - no effects on the loop. This is how the manual suggests a possible WDW setup could be configured. What works best really depends upon the type/quality of effects you tend to use and whether you want to add modeling to the wet setup. It can really get interesting if you add the modeler to the beginning of your chain and run a bypass output to the JP2c. Then the switching capability of the foot controllers makes your routing quite versatile. Many options for using FRFR Amps. I actually like an older GenzBenz Shen 80 stereo amp for studio and small gigs. But for FRFR power, Matrix, Mission Engineering Gemini 2 are some quality stereo options. You probably could pick up the matrix at a reasonable price over there. Here are some possibilities that I think all sound great

No Modeler (as your post implies)
JP2c (dry - no effects) slave out -> stereo/mono effects -> Mesa 2:90 or 2:50 (all power tube solution with guitar cabs) -- Pure Mesa Bliss !!!
or
JP2c (dry - no effects) slave out -> stereo/mono effects -> Matrix GT1000FX (add FRFR cabs) -- Excellent reproduction of quality effects in the high ranges.

EDIT(ADDED) forgot I had tried this as well
JP2c - effect send - > effects (stereo) -> JP2c return (R) & Mark III return (L) - Sounded good, but running WW with two different power amps is harder to balance across effect changes.

With Modeler
JP2c (dry - no effects) slave out -> Modeler (Helix, Axe, Kemper etc) -> Matrix GT1000FX

Modeler (guitar bypass output) -> JP2c (run wet or dry to power stage) Then modeler can run everything it does either mono or stereo to an FRFR setup.

OR

Modeler (guitar bypass output) -> JP2c -> effects send -> Modeler (this is to put the JP2c preamp into the modeler)

Fryette Power Station 2. It's tube, 50 watts, mono, and you can run your stereo out from an effects processor to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGXRDfCF30

Hello
thanks all for your suggestions.
I have finally found a good deal on a brand new Mesa 2:100.
I tried it this week end in a stereo config with the JP2C (using 1 channel of 2:100 and the power amp of the JP2C).
It sounds massive.
With the Modern switch engaged, the 2:100 has a very raw and aggressive tone (it really reminds a recto sound) and it complements wonderfully with the JP2C.

ps: I feel a little guilty about "wasting" 1 channel of the 2/100 ))
ps2: I connect the un-used output of the 2:100 to a 8Ohm Load for security.

Back